What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (7 Viewers)

NoirFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Donolo
Hi Kino Lorber Insider! Do you have a release date for the previously-announced "The Night Has a Thousand Eyes"? I had been hoping it would be released in July along with those other eagerly anticipated noirs.

RobertMG

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Coming August 17th!

The Emperor Waltz (1948)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride, author of Billy Wilder: Dancing on the Edge
• Billy Wilder and Volker Schlöndorff Discuss The Emperor Waltz
• Trailers

From Billy Wilder, the brilliant director of Five Graves to Cairo, The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard, Some Like It Hot and Witness for the Prosecution, comes this delightful musical comedy starring screen greats Bing Crosby (Road to Morocco, Going My Way) and Joan Fontaine (Kiss the Blood off My Hands, Suspicion). American gramophone salesman Virgil Smith (Crosby) wants to sell his wares in pre-WWI Austria. To get the ball rolling, he hits on the idea of going straight to the top and selling one to Emperor Franz Joseph (Richard Haydn, No Time for Love, The Sound of Music). First off, the palace guards think he’s carrying a bomb and he’s arrested. He subsequently meets Countess Johanna von Stolzenberg-Stolzenberg (Fontaine) and, after the usual misunderstandings, falls in love with her. She falls in love with his dog, Buttons. The relation is fraught with obstacles and the emperor thinks royal blood marrying a commoner is bad darts altogether—what is to become of Smith and his countess? Co-written by Wilder and his frequent collaborator Charles Brackett (A Foreign Affair, Arise, My Love), this charming farce garnered Oscar nominations for its wonderful score by Victor Young (The Paleface) and elegant costumes by Edith Head (Sabrina) and Gile Steele (The Heiress).

View attachment 97184
Even on the Universal DVD this is pure eye candy, a KNOCK OUT! A Technicolor Triumph!

Real Name
Kent
We passed on the film, since there was no HD master. Late 2019, Universal scanned the elements in 4K and when we were working on our third deal this Best Lite scan became available to us, we decided to add it to our deal, knowing we would be responsible for additional DRS, dirt removal and color correction.
I've never heard of this film but as a Billy Wilder enthusiast, I'll buy it!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
This weekend's Facebook / Twitter announcements, one 1980s MGM and one 1940s Universal.

klsc.jpg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Coming August 17th!

The Emperor Waltz (1948)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride, author of Billy Wilder: Dancing on the Edge
• Trailers

From Billy Wilder, the brilliant director of Five Graves to Cairo, The Lost Weekend, Sunset Boulevard, Some Like It Hot and Witness for the Prosecution, comes this delightful musical comedy starring screen greats Bing Crosby (Road to Morocco, Going My Way) and Joan Fontaine (Kiss the Blood off My Hands, Suspicion). American gramophone salesman Virgil Smith (Crosby) wants to sell his wares in pre-WWI Austria. To get the ball rolling, he hits on the idea of going straight to the top and selling one to Emperor Franz Joseph (Richard Haydn, No Time for Love, The Sound of Music). First off, the palace guards think he’s carrying a bomb and he’s arrested. He subsequently meets Countess Johanna von Stolzenberg-Stolzenberg (Fontaine) and, after the usual misunderstandings, falls in love with her. She falls in love with his dog, Buttons. The relation is fraught with obstacles and the emperor thinks royal blood marrying a commoner is bad darts altogether—what is to become of Smith and his countess? Co-written by Wilder and his frequent collaborator Charles Brackett (A Foreign Affair, Arise, My Love), this charming farce garnered Oscar nominations for its wonderful score by Victor Young (The Paleface) and elegant costumes by Edith Head (Sabrina) and Gile Steele (The Heiress).

View attachment 97184
Very happy about this. It's a lovely, lilting film.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Coming August 17th!

The Emperor Waltz (1948)
• Trailers

View attachment 97184
YAY!!!!!! More Bing Crosby is always good with me!!

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
We passed on the film, since there was no HD master. Late 2019, Universal scanned the elements in 4K and when we were working on our third deal this Best Lite scan became available to us, we decided to add it to our deal, knowing we would be responsible for additional DRS, dirt removal and color correction.

It can be a little confusing reading mutiple posts but i believe the insider is talking about Peter Ibbetson here? If so then this movie has had a very recent 4k scan eventhough it is not mentioned in the desciption.

Now as far as the term "Best lite scan" would that be kino picked up a down sampled 2k from the recent universal 4k scan. Sorry as the terminolgy is difficult for me as i dont have a Robert Harris background in all this.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!

Breaking In (1989)
Starring Burt Reynolds & Casey Siemaszko – Shot by Michael Coulter (Sense and Sensibility) – Written by John Sayles (Lone Star, Limbo) – Directed by Bill Forsyth (Local Hero, Housekeeping).

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and text

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Some posts were moved to that other Kino thread as this one is about actual Kino announcements and not title speculation. Please respect this thread's posting guidelines, otherwise, thread bans will be issued to maintain thread discipline.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
KL says nothing about a fresh transfer but judging from the current DVD, it needs spiffing up.

Hopefully a double feature of the Irene Dunne version (1932) and the Margaret Sullavan version (1941) isn't far behind. One can hope, can't one?
I'd take the Sullavan/Boyer version, but I'd really love to see the Dunne version finally released in the states. Criterion Channel recently offered the '32 version as part of a streaming salute to John Stahl, director of such classic '30s weepies as Back Street, Only Yesterday, Imitation of Life, Magnificent Obsession, and When Tomorrow Comes. The film looked pretty incredible! Here's hoping- more Dunne and Stahl on Blu ray is always welcome.
Well, at least we got the 1941 version which was asked for since the 1961 version is coming from Kino too. :laugh:

By the way, any further discussion about the 1932 version should take place in this thread. Thank you.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New Master from a 2K Scan of the Interpositive!

Breaking In (1989)
Starring Burt Reynolds & Casey Siemaszko – Shot by Michael Coulter (Sense and Sensibility) – Written by John Sayles (Lone Star, Limbo) – Directed by Bill Forsyth (Local Hero, Housekeeping).

May be an image of 2 people, people standing and text
Oh what a great day. One of my favorites, another Bill Forsyth masterpiece. Absolutely love this film!!!!!

timk1041

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Timothy
Coming August 17th!

The Emperor Waltz (1948)
• Trailers

View attachment 97184
Another unexpected surprise! I had the VHS of this years ago, but never got the DVD. I am sure this blu will look terrific. I haven't seen this in quite some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PuddlePirate