What's new

Kino Lorber has TV Titles from Universal… (1 Viewer)

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
It's due to the 90-minute specials not airing as frequent in syndication as what came after.

~Ben
Back in the 1980s I saw Quincy in syndication on a local station and all five ninety-minute episodes were edited down to an hour. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't have been shown as often as the others. On networks such as CBS (The CBS Late Movie) and MeTV (in 2015) the original 90-minute version was shown.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Fred Gwynne wanting nothing to do with the new series shouldn't come as a surprise as the man almost nearly detested anything having to do with the Munsters. Al Lewis, on the other hand, embraced his association with the series, and I thought that I read somewhere that he was upset that Universal didn't approach him for the show. Since he was doing his Grandpa character for hosting duties on TBS's Saturday morning B horror movie airings, I wouldn't put it past him to do a new Munsters series, quality control issues and all. .

As for Al Lewis - I heard two stories related to "The Munsters Today" - one is they actually wanted him to AUDITION for the role - can you believe that - and the other is they didn't want to use him due to his advanced age and insurance issues.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
On networks such as CBS (The CBS Late Movie) and MeTV (in 2015) the original 90-minute version was shown.

I remember that CBS Late Movie (and its 1980s successor, CBS Late Night); both, IIRC, were potpourri showcases of practically anything on, including stuff from the other networks (for instance, Hart to Hart, albeit a show that was on rival network ABC, was seen on The CBS Late Movie from time to time).

Also, CBS Late Night reran the final go of O-R Jack Lord Five-O (1979-80), under the rerun-exclusive title McGarrett.

Here's the opening thereto:

And the title card:

mcgarretttitle.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wonder if they might release the short-lived 1979 series, Delta House, based upon the movie Animal House?

~Ben

The criteria/hint they’ve stated is that it’s a Blu-ray release of a short run series that Universal had previously issued themselves on DVD in the United States.

I’m not familiar with Delta House so I’m not sure if it’s been on DVD in the U.S.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
The criteria/hint they’ve stated is that it’s a Blu-ray release of a short run series that Universal had previously issued themselves on DVD in the United States.

I’m not familiar with Delta House so I’m not sure if it’s been on DVD in the U.S.
Along with Co-Ed Fever (MGM Television/CBS) and Brothers and Sisters (Paramount Television/NBC), it was a series centered on a frat-house party, but unfortunately such a setting could not get past the censors at the Standards and Practices, so all three were off the air after a short time. But I still hope they will be on DVD nonetheless!

~Ben

Last edited:

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
As for Al Lewis - I heard two stories related to "The Munsters Today" - one is they actually wanted him to AUDITION for the role - can you believe that - and the other is they didn't want to use him due to his advanced age and insurance issues.

Al Lewis was only two years older than Howard Morton (who, ironically, predeceased him), so I don't buy that explanation. Most likely they wanted an all-new cast regardless of whether any originals wanted in even though Lewis, Gwynne, and Yvonne DeCarlo all did a reunion movie together in 1981.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I've got to say that if the KL offering, upgraded to Blu, is either of Kolchak or Night Gallery, I'm not interested. I'm quite happy with my original Universal DVDs for both series, since they are the one-sided reissues. I'm almost certain that it is Kolchak, with Night Gallery following on at some point. I've also got to say that I'm disappointed, but would be happy for those fans that would want them on Blu. I continue to hold out some hope that KL might give us a vintage American TV series, something new to disc...as to quote the KL insider, "maybe more"...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I hope whatever it is sells enough to make it possible for them to continue to dip their toes into those waters. They’ve been doing a great job on the movie side of putting stuff out that hasn’t seen the light of day in ages and that’s been a treat.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
I've got to say that if the KL offering, upgraded to Blu, is either of Kolchak or Night Gallery, I'm not interested. I'm quite happy with my original Universal DVDs for both series, since they are the one-sided reissues. I'm almost certain that it is Kolchak, with Night Gallery following on at some point. I've also got to say that I'm disappointed, but would be happy for those fans that would want them on Blu. I continue to hold out some hope that KL might give us a vintage American TV series, something new to disc...as to quote the KL insider, "maybe more"...

• I wish it was true. Kolchak is on my BD wishlist.
• One HTF member asserts that Kolchak was already selected by another company.

•​

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott

If Kolchak is ever offered on blu, I hope the first few episodes opening credits are corrected to show The Night Stalker as the title, before Kolchak was added to it. The UK DVD release is correct, the US release is just the same opening credits tacked onto every episode. The first episode (The Ripper) opening credits has a slightly different version of the music also.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I think Kino-Lorber should re-do Quincy, M.E.'s first season box, so the contents are arranged like this...

All episodes on discs one and two are 90 minutes long, and originally aired as part of NBC's Mystery Movie series.

Disc 1
1. "Go Fight City Hall... to the Death" (10/3/76)
2. "Who's Who in Neverland?" (10/10/76)

Disc 2
3. "A Star is Dead" (11/28/76)
4. "Hot Ice, Cold Hearts" (1/2/77)

All episodes on discs three to six are 1 hour long, except where noted.

Disc 3
5. "Snake Eyes" (official season 1 premiere) (2 hrs.) (2/4/77)
6. "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone..." (90 mins.) (2/11/77)

Disc 4
7. "Visitors in Paradise" (2/18/77)
8. "The Two Sides of the Truth" (2/25/77)
9. "Hit and Run at Danny's" (3/11/77)
10. "Has Anybody Here Seen Quincy?" (3/18/77)

Disc 5
11. "A Good Smack in the Mouth" (4/15/77)
12. "The Hot Dog Murder" (4/22/77)
13. "An Unfriendly Radiance" (4/29/77)

Disc 6
14. "Sullied Be Thy Name" (5/6/77)
15. "Valleyview" (5/13/77)
16. "Let Me Light the Way" (5/27/77)

I would also like to see them re-do season 1 of The Rockford Files on DVD, this way...

Disc 1
1. "Pilot" (90 minutes) (3/27/74)
2. "The Kirkoff Case" (9/13/74)
3. "The Dark and Bloody Ground" (9/20/74)

Disc 2
4. "The Countess" (9/27/74)
5. "Exit Prentiss Carr" (10/4/74)
6. "Tall Woman in Red Wagon" (10/11/74)

Disc 3
7. "This Case is Closed" (90 minutes) (10/18/74)
8. "The Big Ripoff" (10/25/74)
9. "Find Me If You Can" (11/1/74)

Disc 4
10. "In Pursuit of Carol Thorne" (11/8/74)
11. "The Dexter Crisis" (11/15/74)
12. "Caledonia -- It's Worth a Fortune" (12/6/74)
13. "Profit and Loss (Part 1)" (12/20/74)

DIsc 5
14. "Profit and Loss (Part 2)" (12/27/74)
15. "Aura Lee, Farewell" (1/3/75)
16. "Sleight of Hand" (1/17/75)
17. "Counter Gambit" (1/24/75)

Disc 6
18. "Claire" (1/31/75)
19. "Say Goodbye to Jennifer" (2/7/75)
20. "Charlie Harris at Large" (2/14/75)

Disc 7
21. "The Four-Pound Brick" (2/21/75)
22. "Just by Accident" (2/28/75)
23. "Roundabout" (3/7/75)

~Ben

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I hope whatever it is sells enough to make it possible for them to continue to dip their toes into those waters. They’ve been doing a great job on the movie side of putting stuff out that hasn’t seen the light of day in ages and that’s been a treat.

Agreed. Kino has done a nice job on the few TV series they've released so far: Coronet Blue on DVD and The Outer Limits and The Master on Blu. Looking forward to their next TV offering...

I'm with you on Night Gallery, Randall...but if Kino ever do release Kolchak: The Night Stalker on Blu-Ray, I'll be all over that like a pack of hounds on a T-bone.

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
...Disc 3
6. "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone..." (90 mins.) (2/11/77)...

I often wondered if "Snake Eyes" was shot for a 90 minute slot (75 minutes) and then had 20 odd minutes of footage added (95 minutes) to fill a two-hour slot. It was unusual by this time for the "Mystery Movies" to be odd lengths.

It's clear the first 6 QUINCY, ME episodes were shot for the "Mystery Movie" format.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I think Kino-Lorber should re-do Quincy, M.E.'s first season box, so the contents are arranged like this...

All episodes on discs one and two are 90 minutes long, and originally aired as part of NBC's Mystery Movie series.

Disc 1
1. "Go Fight City Hall... to the Death" (10/3/76)
2. "Who's Who in Neverland?" (10/10/76)

Disc 2
3. "A Star is Dead" (11/28/76)
4. "Hot Ice, Cold Hearts" (1/2/77)

All episodes on discs three to six are 1 hour long, except where noted.

Disc 3
6. "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone..." (90 mins.) (2/11/77)

Disc 4
7. "Visitors in Paradise" (2/18/77)
8. "The Two Sides of the Truth" (2/25/77)
9. "Hit and Run at Danny's" (3/11/77)
10. "Has Anybody Here Seen Quincy?" (3/18/77)

Disc 5
11. "A Good Smack in the Mouth" (4/15/77)
12. "The Hot Dog Murder" (4/22/77)
13. "An Unfriendly Radiance" (4/29/77)

Disc 6
14. "Sullied Be Thy Name" (5/6/77)
15. "Valleyview" (5/13/77)
16. "Let Me Light the Way" (5/27/77)

Would you like for that to be in a keepcase, or in slimcases?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks