What's new

Kino Lorber has TV Titles from Universal… (2 Viewers)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but all those episodes are first season (1976-77) regardless of Universal's packaging.
The 1976 episodes were all 90 minutes long as they originally were part of that season's edition of NBC's Mystery Movie wheel. You are right though that both of these sets of episodes aired that same season. Therefore, these early 1977 episodes would make up discs three to six.

~Ben

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
The 1976 episodes were all 90 minutes long as they originally were part of that season's edition of NBC's Mystery Movie wheel. You are right though that both of these sets of episodes aired that same season. Therefore, these early 1977 episodes would make up discs three to six.

~Ben

"The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone" (the second "Quincy" episode) was also 90 minutes and the 2-hour Quincy series premiere "Snake Eyes" (perhaps originally intended to be 90 minutes) were probably also intended to be broadcast on the NBC Mystery Movie series but held over when it was decided to make Quincy a separate series so it was silly for Universal to separate the episodes into two groups. The fact that actress Lynette Mettey appears in the above episodes and disappears when the hour episodes started supports that theory.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just hoping and praying that Kino, who has a great history with 50's movie fans like me, will consider Bachelor Father for us old timers if they somehow get the go ahead. Just loved that show!
I do too, but somehow I doubt they would even consider that show .
My guess is that it will be Kolchak, Buck Rogers and or Night Gallery on Bluray .

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
My guess is that it will be Kolchak, Buck Rogers and or Night Gallery on Bluray .
I hope James Michener's Centennial (1978-1979) will also get the Blu-Ray treatment!

The only known NTSC (Region 1) DVD release of it, in 2008, was through Universal Studios Home Entertainment and all 12 episodes lack the 1977 Universal Television logo at the end, instead going for the 1997 Universal Pictures opening logo before the opening credits. If this miniseries ever is released on Blu-Ray, the 1997 Universal logo should be removed and the original 1977 Universal TV closing logo (y'know... what you guys see on stuff like The Rockford Files or Murder, She Wrote) restored on all 12 parts.

~Ben

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
If KL might do a longer running Universal TV series, I might hope for McCloud...only a re-edited season one with the uncut season two were released in R1 DVD...Madman released the other 6 seasons in R4 locked DVD.

You mean other 5 seasons? There were only 7 seasons.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper

¶ Frankly, I vote for Kolchak: The Night Stalker that really needs a good clean-up!

kolchak.png

mark-edk

Second Unit
Regarding "Sixth Sense" -- those were syndicated as part of "Night Gallery" in edited form with new wraparounds by Rod Serling. Any interest in those, maybe as extras on a Night Gallery or Sixth Sense set?

I thought those hacked-up half-hours were atrocious. Interesting to see ONE just as a lesson on how to butcher a tv show. BTW there was a Sixth Sense DVD set issued in Europe; from what I've seen of it here and there it's in English with optional subtitles so a universal player would be required.

From Clipboard.jpg

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Regarding "Sixth Sense" -- those were syndicated as part of "Night Gallery" in edited form with new wraparounds by Rod Serling. Any interest in those, maybe as extras on a Night Gallery or Sixth Sense set?

Sixth Sense came out in France, as well as having run here in original one hour form on the Chiller Channel, although they did exclude a couple of episodes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
There Was a reedited movie version?

Yes, called Confessions of a D.A., combining 4 episodes of the show. Universal tried to squeeze every possible dime out of their failed series. I don't feel like digging the list out, but if there was a Universal show that lasted a season or less, and was in color, they put together one or two "movies" combining episodes. Fay, The DA, Matt Lincoln, The Psychiatrist, Man and the City, Turnabout, Sara, The Outsider, Road West, Kolchak, Get Christie Love, Toma, Pistols and Petticoats, The Partners, Mr. Terrific, etc.

Here's a great write-up on this: https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/procrustes-comes-to-syndication/

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Yes, called Confessions of a D.A., combining 4 episodes of the show. Universal tried to squeeze every possible dime out of their failed series. I don't feel like digging the list out, but if there was a Universal show that lasted a season or less, and was in color, they put together one or two "movies" combining episodes. Fay, The DA, Matt Lincoln, The Psychiatrist, Man and the City, Turnabout, Sara, The Outsider, Road West, Kolchak, Get Christie Love, Toma, Pistols and Petticoats, The Partners, Mr. Terrific, etc.

Here's a great write-up on this: https://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2012/02/25/procrustes-comes-to-syndication/

Yes, I'm well aware of Universal's practice of cutting episodes of short lived TV Shows into features. :)

I'd love to see the list if you ever feel like pulling it out out and posting it.

How many features did they do total?

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I thought those hacked-up half-hours were atrocious. Interesting to see ONE just as a lesson on how to butcher a tv show. BTW there was a Sixth Sense DVD set issued in Europe; from what I've seen of it here and there it's in English with optional subtitles so a universal player would be required.

View attachment 67876

Here's what hurts even more - those were edited to fit a half hour slot before commercials in the 1970's - 25 minutes - then they were reedited to be shorter for modern syndication needs - 22 minutes,30 seconds - and keep in mind they had Rod's introductions added.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
The Kino Insider mentioned earlier this week on another forum that the Universal TV series they are releasing on blu has already had a DVD release. That quashes a good number of the guesses/hopes on this thread - at least for now.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With that in mind - and going solely on "classic" TV - I'm guessing either The Munsters or Northern Exposure. The Munsters is short and likely would sell well plus I've purchased it twice on DVD (several things I've purchased multiple times on DVD have received BR releases). Northern Exposure could benefit from a new release with all the music intact.

JohnHopper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Hopper
The Kino Insider mentioned earlier this week on another forum that the Universal TV series they are releasing on blu has already had a DVD release.

So the question that comes to mind is: what are the Universal series with a past DVD release?

Ironside
It Takes a Thief
McCloud
Rod Serling's Night Gallery

Columbo
McMillan & Wife
Banacek
The Six Million Dollar Man
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
The Invisible Man
Baa Baa Black Sheep

The Bionic Woman