What's new

Kino Lorber has TV Titles from Universal… (3 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As others have noted, reading the different lists of shows Universal owns demonstrates to me they have very, very little I'm interested in that hasn't already been released on DVD (with Restless Gun being the lone exception because the prints were not great). I have no interest in the drama, medical, psych stuff from the 60's on up. Neither do I need an upgrade on the few sci-fi or horror titles I already own. In fact, other than Hec Ramsey (for Richard Boone) and Sheriff Lobo (for Claude Akins) I can't think of one title from '66 on up I'd purchase. Maybe I'd give the short-lived Gemini Man a try just for a nostalgia kick. But everything else from '66 on up I've either got on DVD or have no interest in.

Now, what Kino will NOT go for that I'd love to see is any of the Revue library from the 50's and early 60's. I'd go for almost any one of the westerns, comedies, or crime/drama series from that era. Won't happen though. Of that I'm sure. Sigh...

Gary "I'm a child of the 70's, but my TV tastes are primarily for 50's and early 60's material" O.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
For shorter run stuff I'd like to see them do "Operation Petticoat" which at one season plus ten episodes (though the 2nd season should never have happened) and the presence of John Astin and Jamie Lee Curtis could help make that more sellable.

"Switch" was another title from the 70s I'd hoped to see but supposedly all tape transfers were lost and we'd have to see that totally redone.

I'd certainly like to retire my R4 release of "The Law And Harry McGraw" one of the few 80s titles I have.

But no more westerns.....please!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
But no more westerns.....please!

Gary "then again, I'm begging for no more 70's and 80's crime/law, drama, or supernatural type stuff" O. :D

And I'd like to see both more '50s and '60s westerns and more '70s and '80s cop shows and supernatural stuff! ;)

Whatever Kino has plans to release, it likely won't please all of us...but I'm glad they are releasing any catalog TV content at all!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I still need "The D.A." to finish that incomplete "Adam-12" crossover story! :D

Shout had interest in the series but as with many shows which were never syndicated, no usable elements were available (of course the 35mm prints exist but transfer costs are prohibitive). Luckily, the crossover episode was one of the four included in the re-edited TV movie put together from the series.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Shout had interest in the series but as with many shows which were never syndicated, no usable elements were available (of course the 35mm prints exist but transfer costs are prohibitive). Luckily, the crossover episode was one of the four included in the re-edited TV movie put together from the series.

There Was a reedited movie version?

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Came out in Germany years ago and that's as good as you're gonna get on that show. I want Karen as I liked that show with Debbie much better.
Yes I know about the release in Germany. I think they should still consider releasing it here too. I did read about Karen online and it sounded like an interesting show. I wouldn't mind seeing that too.

Jay*W

Second Unit
McCloud done right, Banacek back in print and single-sides Quincy “season 2” would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
McCloud done right, Banacek back in print and single-sides Quincy “season 2” would be very much appreciated.
And if the 2nd season of Quincy, M.E. were packaged that way, then to me that would be:
DISC 1:
2x01: "Snake Eyes" (parts 1-2) (2/4/77)
2x02: "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone" (2/11/77)
2x03: "Visitors in Paradise" (2/18/77)

DISC 2:
2x04: "The Two Sides of the Truth" (2/25/77)
2x05: "Hit and Run at Danny's" (3/11/77)
2x06: "Has Anybody Here Seen Quincy?" (3/18/77)

DISC 3:
2x07: "A Good Smack in the Mouth" (4/15/77)
2x08: "The Hot Dog Murder" (4/22/77)
2x09: "An Unfriendly Radiance" (4/29/77)

DISC 4:
2x10: "Sullied Be Thy Name" (5/6/77)
2x11: "Valleyview" (5/13/77)
2x12: "Let Me Light the Way" (5/27/77)

~Ben

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The NBC of 1980 was in no position to turn him down. They lost a fortune on the Olympics because of the boycott, they had to pay another fortune to keep Johnny Carson on their network, they lost James Garner when The Rockford Files ended due to his health problems, all but two of their sitcoms were flopping hard, they were ready to cut Disney loose after 20 years for its failure to beat 60 Minutes (which would prove unbeatable in the years to come, a lesson Ms. Gray would learn the hard way), and to top that off, there was a writer's strike that almost ended the new season before it began!

So maybe "screwed over" isn't the right way of putting it, but "succumbed to the effect of bad decisions made in moments of weakness" is more accurate. But even Gil Gerard was reportedly unhappy with the end result.

Not to mention the producer, writers and cast of "Saturday Night Live" quitting. Incredibly, NBC decided to continue the show anyway!

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I would like to see The Sixth Sense, Get Christie Love, Cliffhangers!, and Harper Valley PTA

Regarding "Sixth Sense" -- those were syndicated as part of "Night Gallery" in edited form with new wraparounds by Rod Serling. Any interest in those, maybe as extras on a Night Gallery or Sixth Sense set?

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Yes and no. The 35mm negatives and masters of FILMED shows were stored off site. Shows which were produced on 2-inch videotape were burned up and are lost. Luckily, Universal didn't produce a great many shows on tape, but things like Don Adams Screen Test, for instance, is gone. The Jack Benny Show did some shows on film and some on 2-inch tape, and all of those tapes are lost. While Universal didn't produce any regular variety series, to the best of my knowledge, they did do specials and those are destroyed as well.
I haven't heard about some of the little failed sitcoms that they did on tape, such as Sirota's Court and Semi-Tough, but I'm assuming those are burned up too.

I know it's unlikely there will ever be an official accounting of exactly what was/was not lost in that fire -- just thinking about the music is staggering -- but is there any kind of list of Universal (or Universal-owned) series which were produced on video?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
And if the 2nd season of Quincy, M.E. were packaged that way, then to me that would be:
DISC 1:
2x01: "Snake Eyes" (parts 1-2) (2/4/77)
2x02: "...The Thigh Bone's Connected to the Knee Bone" (2/11/77)
2x03: "Visitors in Paradise" (2/18/77)

DISC 2:
2x04: "The Two Sides of the Truth" (2/25/77)
2x05: "Hit and Run at Danny's" (3/11/77)
2x06: "Has Anybody Here Seen Quincy?" (3/18/77)

DISC 3:
2x07: "A Good Smack in the Mouth" (4/15/77)
2x08: "The Hot Dog Murder" (4/22/77)
2x09: "An Unfriendly Radiance" (4/29/77)

DISC 4:
2x10: "Sullied Be Thy Name" (5/6/77)
2x11: "Valleyview" (5/13/77)
2x12: "Let Me Light the Way" (5/27/77)

~Ben

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but all those episodes are first season (1976-77) regardless of Universal's packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks