Kinks - One for the Road

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Gunn, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I loved the Kinks back in the 70's and '80s and they were fantastic in concert.

In BB yesterday and pleasantly surprised to see a live DVD released entitled "One for the Road". That little voice in the back of my head said "Why don't you rent it first...." and I should have listened.

Being an incredibly amatuer musician, I enjoy concerts that show musicians in action. This concert (Providence RI in the late '70s, Low Budget Tour) was not meant to be videotaped. While the show has intense energy, the cameras are all behind or on the side of the stage. Very few shots where you actually SEE a front shot. The rare frontal shots are from the far end of the arena, and just a large stage shot with no detail. Every Dave Davies solo is filmed from behind him ! Now that's a great shot.... You get a perfect view of talcum powder on the backside of his guitar neck. Hello ?

Occasionally they will break the video away from the concert to show some backstage antics. What a waste. I watch concert DVD's to see the CONCERT, not some dopey shenanigans when bandmates ham it up for some cameraman.

The Audio is fair, and equal to their live release of the same time period.

Did I say I was dissapointed ?

2. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

Well Kirk I have to thankyou ,I saw this also in BB and was planning to pick it up.I hate impulse buys and feeling shafted later.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Just wanted to chime in with a dissenting opinion. When I watched Road last summer, I was surprised by how much I liked it. I used to be a huge Kinks fan but my ardor has cooled over the years. Road gave it a nice little kick in the pants. It's definitely a flawed piece - it looks pretty bad, and the sound isn't much better - but I thought it communicated the concert fairly well. I've seen MANY worse live shows on video - this one's really quite entertaining.
    Here's a link to my full review:
    http://www.dvdmg.com/kinks.shtml

4. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

The Kinks are one of those groups, that it depends on what period of their music you prefer. I saw them live on their "Preservation Act 2" tour in London and was pleasantly entertained by the whole "show" concept of it all...and it's hard to do, because there are so many elements you have to present, well, in an entertaining manner.

It could have been expanded more with more interactive concepts, but I did love the DVD's, Kink's Tour of London.

"Return To Waterloo" is one you should pick up, just for the idea it's a presentation of Ray Davies' specially commissioned BBC film. He is a unique talent, you either like or you don't, it is that special.