Kinks on Super Audio Press Release from Koch

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    KOCH Records Announces Release of Classic Kinks Albums on Hybrid Super Audio CD Marking 40th Anniversary of Debut Album
    NEW YORK, NY -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 06/25/04 -- KOCH Records is proud to announce the restoration and reissue of thirteen classic albums and two compilations by one of the greatest rock bands of all time,The Kinks. The titles will be released on hybrid Super Audio CD, and this massive undertaking will place The Kinks' titles alongside the newly-restored catalogs of musical giants Bob Dylan and The Rolling Stones. In a remarkable career that spans more than three decades, The Kinks have built a beloved and honored body of work as impressive as anything else in the annals of popular music. Since riding the first wave of the British Invasion to chart success in 1964, the group -- led by singer/songwriter Ray Davies and his guitarist brother Dave -- has withstood its own internal struggles and the fickle whims of the pop marketplace to emerge as one of rock's most durable institutions.

This restoration and reissue program marks the 40th anniversary of the UK release of the very first Kinks album, the self-tilted Kinks which debuted on October 2, 1964. The hybrid discs will be issued in stereo and were transferred directly from the original analog 2-track masters. The first four titles to be released on July 24th are: "Muswell Hillbillies" (1971), "Misfits" (1978), "One for the Road" (live, 1980), "Give the People Want They Want" (1981) and "Schoolboys In Disgrace" (1975). This batch will be followed by "Word of Mouth" (1981), "Preservation: Act 1" (1973), "Preservation: Act 2" (1974), and "State of Confusion" (1983) on September 21st. And finally, in early 2005, KOCH Records will release "Everybody's in Showbiz" 1972), "Sleepwalker" (1977), "A Soap Opera" (1975), "Come Dancing with The Kinks" (1986), "Low Budget" (1979) and "Celluloid
    Heroes//The Kinks Greatest" (1976 ). "KOCH left no stone unturned to deliver the best sound ever heard in
    a commercial Kinks release," said KOCH Records' own Kinks expert Bill Crowley, who oversaw the project. "In the course of the project, we conducted a massive archival search to assure the use of the best possible sources. Working with noted mastering engineer Alan Silverman, we assembled the latest tools from some of the most innovative development companies in professional audio, taking advantage of the work of some of the most brilliant electronics engineers and mathematicians in audio today. The resulting SACD's are revelatory, capturing both the raw guitar power and the crystalline arrangements for which The Kinks are legendary." "'Muswell Hillbillies' (Stereo Review's album of the year in 1972), is almost startling in its newly-revealed clarity. Revered by Kinks fans for its memorable songs and roots & blues stylings, 'Muswell Hillbillies' has been lamented by audiophiles for a somewhat muddy reproduction over the years. For the first time, both the SACD and standard CD layers of this hybrid disc allow you to hear the album the way it must have sounded to Ray and Dave in the studio -- a seemingly simple masterpiece actually built with intricate layers of acoustic, slide and electric guitars and breathtaking vocal harmonies."

I am encouraged to see mention of a transfer from the original analog tapes. [​IMG]

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

3. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

If this thread just talks about the Kinks, I don't see it being a big deal. I never even looked at the other thread after the initial post, but this one sure caught my eye! As if my fall isn't full of DVD purchases already, now I gotta add these! Low Budget and Sleepwalker are first on my list, followed by about half that list...

4. Justin Lane

Low Budget is already out on SA-CD from Mobile FIdelity. You can pick it up right now!!!!!

J

5. Michael St. Clair

Be warned, there are indications that these may be made from DAT (16-bit, 48khz) copies of the original master tapes. There's some more discussion at the SH forums...

These same DATs are believed to have been used for all CD and even vinyl releases the last few years...some even feel that the DATs were used for the Mofi hybrids.

I'll still likely buy Come Dancing and Celluloid Heroes, but my favorite albums are the ones on Pye (now Castle).

Long live the Kinks.

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    ...if you're willing to pay about $30. It appears that the new reissues are more reasonably priced.

7. Justin Lane

Uh oh. If thats the case, I might be passing on all the releases.

J

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    According to the 'news and rumors' at http://kinks.it.rit.edu/, there are only 13 albums. They don't list the already-released Low Budget and Everybody's in Showbiz. Do we know for sure who's right?

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I doubt that Koch would have said transfered from the original analog tapes if they are from the DATs. If that's true then Koch's comments are very misleading.

They could still sound very good either way.

I held off on the MoFi's once I found out about this release slate. MoFi is far too expensive. Even at a premium $30 is far too high. They should be $22 or less no matter what the mastering is. These high prices have also kept me from the Prokofiev disc and Aimee Mann and Los Lobos.

They are double what SACDs have been selling for in my neighborhood.

"Be warned, there are indications that these may be made from DAT (16-bit, 48khz) copies of the original master tapes. There's some more discussion at the SH forums..."

Most of these discussions I followed from the beginning and they were well underway before Koch posted the release.

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  11. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil

Either as a new release or a pre-order, CD Universe has generally sold them at $20.99 and then after that they are $24.99. Even the John Lennon CD was the same price. I agree too high but so is the '88' label single layer (SACD) discs at $30. I have one and it sounds great but certainly not going to buy tons at that price. "Low Budget's" dynamics on MoFi are great on SACD.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    b

Thanks Phil for the price info. [​IMG]

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    CD Universe lists Low Budget at $27.19. Also with them, unlike Amazon or other places, you need to factor in shipping which is a minimum of 2.99.

14. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Marvin that is the MoFi disc. The new upcoming (non-MoFi disc) is apparently not as yet listed. Apparently they have raised their MoFi prices. Most non-new releases are now the $27.19 as you noted above. Pre-orders or new releases are now $21.45 (vs. formerly $20.99) such as: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=194353363

15. Justin Lane

You can find some Mo-fi discs at Circuit City for 24.99. I have seen both of the Kinks discs along with John Lennon "Imagine" (redbook only) at this price in the CD aisles. Circuit CIty does not have much of a SA-CD section in store outside of the Sony kiosk and the relatively few single inventory releases.

J

16. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I paid $30.00 for The Kinks Low Budget SACD. I was at a Tower Records Superstore in L.A., and I just had to have it right now. No buyer's remorse here. I once paid $40.00 for an Art Of Noise SACD - and it SUCKS. Hey, if you're willing to dive into a niche market or a new technology, you gotta take some hits. MOFI kicks butt, IMO. Even if they raised their prices to $30 per disc, I'd still buy.
    Dave

17. Michael St. Clair

Which AoN SACD sucks? I've been planning on buying 'Daft'.

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Huh? Aren't they already asking $30/CD?

19. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I agree that Low Budget is excellent. I also have the Aimee Mann discs and like them as well. I believe that amusicdirect.com owns the MoFi name and they charge $25 from what I remember. As Justin indicated, Circuit City is $25. Tower charges $30.99 and sometimes they have 25% off sales.

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Michael, I like the DAFT SA-CD. I'm way less impressed with the live one which I also have. DAFT, I've enjoyed.[​IMG] I got'em straight from ZTT.

Koch is gonna have to do real, or reel, good to outdo or equal the MSFL Kinks. Seems like I reviewed one or both of 'em when they came out... LOW BUDJET really kicks serious booty, IMO. Over-priced, yes...but MFSL seems to do thangs right otherwise...