What's new

King's X (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Any King's X fans out there?
For those who don't know, they're a three piece hard rock band with very tight songwriting. Their earlier albums had vague Christian-type spiritual leanings (but not obvious and not preachy), but has since changed.
The singer/guitar player, Ty Tabor, has a very strong melodic sense and a positive slant, lyrically. Doug Pinnick, the bass player / singer, is more groove-oriented, has a rich, soulful voice, and is darker and heavier. The pair is the modern-day Lennon/McCartney type of writing relationship, and are as talented.
Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has heard their new album and can tell me about it. The one they released before that was pretty awful, and I figured they may have run out of steam, so I'm not running out to buy this album yet.
Here's my breakdown of their albums:
Out of the Silent Planet: Kick-ass, one of the best debut albums ever. Their sound is already mature, due to years of touring before recording.
Gretchen Goes To Nebraska: My favorite, and recommended for beginners. Every song a winner, just brilliant. "Over my head, I hear music..."
Faith, Hope, Love: OK. Longer and contains more "filler" songs, making that album less cohesive than previous releases, but some great songs on it.
King's X (self titled): Good stuff. Tight riffs, harmony vocals, very nice.
Dogman: King's X rocks out. Lots of heavy groove on here. I challenge anyone to listen to this without bobbing their head to the music. I love this one.
Ear Candy: Their most straight-ahead and, IMO, most boring album. Has a couple of decent songs, but not nearly up to the level of previous albums. However, many like it, but I recommend hearing it after hearing the earlier ones. I sold my copy.
Tape Head: Back to the groove. Updated version of Dogman, lots of soul. Excellent.
Mr. Bulbous: What the hell were they on? What a piece of crap.
New one: waiting to see reviews.

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
hi there!
i agree with you that 'please come home...' was a pretty lame album, but the new one, 'manic moonlight' is much better. it's one that gets better everytime you hear it.
'vegetable' and 'believe' would both get lots of airplay if there was any justice in the world.
just got tickets to see them next tuesday in philly. this will be my first time cuz i am a pretty new fan - i actually got into them because i started listening to ty's band 'platypus'. i can't wait to see them play live!!
spring for the disc - you'll dig it!
bpl

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I was a fan back in the Gretchen Goes To Nebraska and Faith, Hope, Love days but lost interest due to various things (during my high school days...go figure). It's always good to hear about bands in such a way; the synopsis of their albums is appreciated as well - I may actually check out Dogman. Thanks for the update, Mike.
------------------
My Top 10 Movies http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005503-6.html#146

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've heard a couple of tracks from the new album. Wasn't digging it too much. I haven't read any enthusiastic reviews either. Looks like I'll be skipping this one.
I was disappointed with Platypus. I dunno, there were a few good songs, but the disc I heard was just kinda dry. I think it's because Ty is singing throughout. I just don't like his voice too much. In King's X, I always prefer Doug to sing. Those are almost always the better songs, anyway. That's why Tape Head is their last good album- Doug's all over that.
Paul,
I actually like both the albums you mentioned. King's X is one of my favorites, and Faith Hope is good, I just think it would have been tighter and a better listen if some of the lovey-dovey boring stuff were taken out.
I love that tune on Faith Hope where it seems like they're playing a coda, but it just keeps going on and on, with that start-stop riff.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan, I like everything, including Bulbous. I'm going to miss them on Friday when they play near me, I'm not too happy about that.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Brian_Linnen

Stunt Coordinator
i am TOTALLY psyched to see them next week!!
i really think this new record can not be accurated judged without hearing it a handful of times. i know people always say that and i usually roll my eyes when they do, but it is true.
when i first heard it, i dug two tracks on it. i forced myself to play it a couple more times, and i found myself humming along to almost everything. it is really a cool disc!! 'believe', 'static', and 'vegetable' all rock!!!
of course it could just be me. if they were as good as i think they are, they would sell a lot more records i guess...
i'm such a ty-freak that i think everything he does is tremendously worthwhile.

MatS

Screenwriter
make sure you all show up early to the shows and check out MOKE, another great band.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I didn't know they had a new CD out, I'm getting it at lunch.
I've seen them twice at a club in Little Rock. The first show with Galactic Cowboys was great. The more recent show with Podunk was almost as good. Doug had some technical problems with his bass, slammed it down and the band walked off the stage. Everyone waited for the encore but there never was one.
Did anyone buy Ty's first solo CD from their web site? The one where you had to make a check out to Ty Tabor?
No one has mentioned Poundhound. Doug's side project. Their sound is heavy like old King's X without the harmonies. I have their first CD and a new one came out recently.
-Robert

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
There's also a CD out with Doug and the guitarist from Trouble. I forget what it's called, but I heard it was pretty good.
When I saw King's X, the same thing happened with Doug throwing his bass on the floor and storming off stage. I think that's just him trying to be a bad-ass or something. He is notoriously moody.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I went ahead and got the new CD and just finished listening to it. Not bad. It's weird to hear them using programmed loops, but it doesn't get in the way. It's not their best, but it's still good compared to all the other crap that get put out.
I also think I'll pick up Ear Candy again at some point and give it another shot. I sold it at a time where the only kind of rock I wanted to listen to was balls-to-the-wall, ass kicking stuff.
I'm also going to see them on Sunday, so that I can watch Ty in belt out his sincere ballads and Doug get all moody and pissy. They are a funny bunch.
So this band Moke is good, eh? I usually try to catch opening acts anyway, so I'll let y'all know what the word is.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Praise the Lord, my faith in King's X has been renewed. I saw them last night in Boston. Man, do they kick some ass.
I caught them at an in-store signing a couple hours before the show, by sheer coincedence as I was dropping off my guitar. They were very friendly and Ty sincerely thanked everyone who had a copy of the new album.
The opening band was Moke. They were OK, very British.
King's X burst onto the stage with "Welcome to the Groove Machine" and did a whole bunch of tunes heavy on groove. The went into some stuff from the new album, and mixed it up with older material. They also played the best tunes from my two least-favorite albums, Mr. Bulbous and Ear Candy.
There were sound problems throughout, but the band took it in stride and were very cheery the whole time. Doug seemed to have some problem with his voice, but overcame it. He seemed a lot calmer and more jovial than the moody, pissy Doug I saw throw down his bass a couple of years ago at a show that had much less difficulty with equipment.
When they played "Believe," Doug explained the meaning of the song as having something to do with that fact that he was told to "believe in God," but that it's OK to believe in yourself, that it's not a sin. OK, Doug, whatever. He's a very confused individual.
The highlight was when they did "Vegetable," and extended the song with a low-down funky rock 'n' roll groove thing. Shouts of "play on, brother!" and "take my home, daddy!" were very appropo. Even I had to shake my groove-thang a little bit, and I'm usually a stalwart, immobile audient.
Always a crowd pleaser, they played We Were Born To Be Loved, which has that extra-long cadence with the stop-start riffs. Lots of fun. As an encore, they played Goldilox, but Doug turned the microphone around to face the audience and didn't sing. I guess people always belt out the vocals anyway, so he figured, "What's the point of me singing? I may as well turn this into a running gag." He then let us go with the message, "Be safe, believe in yourself, go have some sex, and believe in God."
All in all, a fun show. Good stuff.

Kevin Goodwin

Stunt Coordinator
They need to get a producer. I love the band, but they've written & recorded everything on the last 3 albums in 2-week marathons. For the amount of time they've spent writing, the songs are good, but in the Sam Taylor days they were BRILLIANT! Dogman was also really good, which I think is due to Brendan O'Brien's involvement.
I just wish they'd spend a little more time on the KX stuff. It's all starting to sound like their solo efforts.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I agree. However, I do like their newer material. The new album is pretty good.
A lot of rock bands seriously hurt themselves by trying to produce the CDs themselves. The best example is Metallica's "...And Justice For All." That album features their best material, yet it sounds awful. What a shame. If they had had a good produce in their, that might possibly have become the greatest metal album of all time.
Primus also screwed themselves over when they produced the Brown Album. I believe both bands realised their mistake and went back to hiring producers. In fact, that is one of the major factors in Metallica's cross-over success.
Gretchen, Planet, self-titled, and Faith Hope will always be classic X to me. Their other stuff is stilly pretty righteous, though.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ok, Paul, I probably shouldn't have said anything about Primus, since I'm not into them and don't know much about them. I just know that the Brown album sounds crummy.
Primus is so frustrating. They are so amazingly talented, but I can't listen to them. Claypool's voice makes me want to shoot myself. It's cute for a few minutes, but then it's just irritating. And a lot of their songwriting is just boring. They're best when they shut the hell up and play their asses off. I just burned a CD with the songs I like.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Paul, I have heard all of Primus' albums, except for Anti-Pop. That's why I'm able to discuss them.
Yeah, when they're "on," they kick-ass. They're just not "on" enough. If all or most of their catalogue was like Jerry Was A Race Car Driver, I'd be a fan. But stuff like those songs about fishing and the Mrs. Peanut Butter song (or something like that) are just awful, and there's way too much of that.
I have heard their cover of NIB with Ozzy singing and I love it.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Inspired by King's X's awesome performance, I went out and bought the one CD of theirs I specifically didn't like: Please Come Home...Mr Bulbous.
Giving it another listen, I retract my harsh statements about it earlier. It's my least favorite, but it's not bad, and it's a keeper.
Marsh Mellow Fields, She's Gone Away, Charlie Sheen, and Move Me (parts one and two) are all pretty damn good.
The rest has kind of hit or miss.
Also, I have to go back and re-listen to Ear Candy.
King's X just rules, end of story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks