King's Quest remakes, anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoshi Sugawara, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

I hope I'm not the only one who remembers Sierra's classic adventure games - just wanted to let you all know that there are two fan-made remakes of King's Quest I and II available for free download:
    http://www.tierraentertainment.com
    They are superbly done - it's amazing how they have captured the essence of the King's Quest games, right down to the witty humor. King's Quest II has a lot of new content, new (logical!) puzzles, and it is in many ways better than the original.
    Both are re-done in glorious 256-color 320x200 VGA, in the same style and interface as King's Quest V and VI, along with new musical scores for each.
    Try it out, I was amazed!

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think it was a KQ game I played in which you land on an island and are greeted by 5 men who represent the 5 senses. You have to have an item to give each of them so they don't agree on what you are. Anyone remeber what game it was?

3. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I played a few of the Kings quest but i really loved Space Quest series. Nothing Like Roger Wilco Janitor first class :)

cat

4. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

5. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Morgan, I think Greg is right that's number VI.
    I've played everyone on of em, and beat them all but the last one.
    I've also played all the Space Quests an Quest for Adventure (aka Hero's Quest).
    I used to buy tons and tons of Sierra games, I even had a Sierra credit card that gave me certificates towards Sierra Games. But the days of the adventure game seem to be long gone [​IMG] Sierra is one of my all time favorite game companies and I easily own 50+ of their games.

6. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Wasn't Hero's Quest renamed Quest for Glory? I played a ton of those King's Quest games(I specifically remember IV and V), a bunch of the Space Quest games, Hero's Quest, Police Quest 2 and 3, Willy Beamish, and some other game made by Dynamix where you were a cop or something in future San Francisco. Man, I might have to load up some of those old Sierra/Dynamix games over semester break [​IMG]

7. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

That takes me back! I loved Space Quest!

Gotta love the Police Quest thing where you had to walk around your squad car every single time you wanted to drive it, or you'd get a flat tire!

Martin.

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I really wish sierra would re-release all these game to work with Win XP or something because non of them work on my machine

capt

9. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Yes, Hero's Quest was renamed to Quest for Glory. I had it as Hero's Quest, and I thought it was great. I never did get the sequels, though they looked good, too.

I think the first Quest for Glory got a face lift later on. I may have to seek it out.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dave Bennett, you're thinking of Rise of the Dragon by Dynamix. I mourned the day Ken & Roberta sold it off. I loved Sieraa, King's Quest, Quest for Glory, Police Quest, SPace Quest, Leisure Suit Larry, Gabriel Knight, all amazing amazing games

11. Yoshi Sugawara

I remember getting a Sierra 3-Game bundle for my Macintosh LC II (very sllooww) for Christmas.
    It had King's Quest V, Rise of the Dragon and Red Baron. Countless days of fun followed. Not to mention I had 1/3 of the Mac game library with this bundle back then [​IMG]
    Man,those were the days...

12. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Joey: What doesn't work?

I have just about every Sierra game on my machine and they all work perfectly. I have to use a 3rd party driver to get the sound to work. I even found a program to patch the old, non-soundcard games to use MIDI instead and they sound shockingly good!

I located most of the games online, I do/did own all of them -- they're nostalgia, afterall, but most of discs and boxes are long gone. Although I occasionally run across some of the discs in old piles when I'm back home. Most of them don't work though (they're weren't exactally being stored well.)

I was psyched to go back and beat Codename: Iceman earlier this year -- I had never beaten it when I originally had it!

I have the King's Quest 1-4 cheat book in my attic. I will never forget when KQ4 came out -- I think my computer, at the time, could only run the AGI (old-style sierra games, without the white pop-up text box) version though.

I've beaten KQ1-5, SQ2-4, PQ1-3, LSL1-5 (there was no 4, or something, IIRC) LB1+2, CI and the Black Cauldron.

My fav. is KQ3, I think. It's what I started with (though obviously went back and played the older ones...) when I was six or seven (I mostly watched my big brother play, at first.)

I've played all the re-makes (EGA KQ1 and the other VGA ones) too. I played through the 'Tierra' KQ1 awhile ago and it was pretty neat. Good to see they did KQ2 now -- I think they added some stuff too?? KQ2 was the worst of all the Sierra games, I'd say, so that wouldn't be a bad thing.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I loved KQ2 at the time, mainly because of the long wait after getting the "coming soon" screen at the end of KQ1. I still fondly remember many of the locations, and the Batman easter egg really got me back then.

But, now that you mention it, KQ3 was really good. Since my favorite is KQ6, I guess you could say I liked the games featuring the prince the best.

I didn't play KQ5 until years after it came out, but I liked it quite a bit. I did not like KQ4, though. That one was really frustrating. Once I got a hint book, I was able to continue, but I was stuck really early and ended up hating it. Looking back, it does have some good parts to it. The night/day thing was interesting, and I loved that old house.

I guess the reason I didn't like KQ4 is because it seemed to be even more illogical than the others. I had the same reaction to Monkey Island 2. When I look in a hint book and realize there is no way I could have figured out a solution, I begin to dislike a game.

Monkey Island 1 was great, though.

14. Greg_S_H

Greg
    By the way, was I the only one playing King's Quest on an IBM PCjr (the Peanut)? I have a good excuse: my dad worked at IBM, and got a discount. One of the deciding factors was the demo of King's Quest he was shown. I don't remember the exact story, but I think King's Quest was actually developed to show off the "power" of the PCjr. With upgrades (and special order replacement discs), it ran every KQ through IV.

15. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Man this is bringing back some fond memories. My first game that my dad bought with my Tandy 1000 EX computer was Space Quest. I became an instant fan for all the Sierra games. Next came Kings Quest 3. What a bitch of a game that was but fun. I later solved the first 2 kings quest games then stopped after kings quest 4. Then moved onto the first 3 leisure suit larry games, then the next 2 space quest games.

Jeff

16. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Speaking of Leisure Suit Larry, I remember in the original version(not the remake they made a few years later) the questions you had to answer to get into the game to prove you were of age. I bet alot of people now a days who are of age would have no idea what the answers to them were(I remember there was one that said "Pia Zadora is:" and the right answer was D. Hot) Ah memories [​IMG]

17. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Dave, I remember that damn quiz. I was only in my mid-teens when I played those games. After going through the quiz enough times I eventually found out the correct answers.
    I quit playing those games when they went to the point and click style of play. To me that took all the fun out of them.

Jeff

18. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Dave, that's where the handy "ctrl-alt-x" comes in-skips the questions.

Best thing about Larry was that they put a piece of code in that logged everything that the testers tried that didn't have a message associated with it. They then went back and added funny responses to a lot of them. That way, it was fun to get stuck and keep screwing things up.

Now that I think about it though, Space Quest 1-3 are about the only sierra games I've never finished. Some faves-King's Quest 6, Larry 7, Gabriel Knight 1, and Quest for Glory 1, 2 and 4 (let's forget 3 ever happened). Actually, I'd really like to see a fix for QFG4, since that's the only one I can't play anymore (WAY too unstable).

19. Yoshi Sugawara

20. Greg_S_H

Greg