What's new

'KINGPIN' will set a new standard for violence on network tv. Good or bad? (1 Viewer)

Ike

Screenwriter
I said:
It's a miniseries, not the end of the world. No actual persons were harmed in the making. Don't watch it, warn the kids in your family not to watch it (assuming you have any say), and lock out every channel other than PAX. Meanwhile, network will ever slowly creep up to the standards that society was ready for in 1968.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
To anyone reading my initial post in this thread: while reading it, keep in mind the saying "Can't see the forest for the trees" and especially the phrase "the BIG picture" to understand where I'm coming from.
LJ

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Give the people what they want and let the ratings decide. If the nation is outraged by Kingpin, or any similar envelope pushing show, then the show will have terrible ratings and the experiment will not be tried again.

I'm for removing censorship at all levels, with the intention of not crossing normal legal boundaries.

I think HBO is a perfect example of how excellent television can be had when there are no boundaries or limits.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Tell them Ike
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
:emoji_thumbsup:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was waiting for this thread to take its inevitable turn toward personal feelings about perceived morals and vices and the allegedly deliterious effects of their portrayal in film and television on impressionable minds.

Please, let's refrain from sweeping statements about society in general and try to limit our comments to this particular mini-series and whether it's over the top or otherwise.

Thank you.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, cold logic seems to be many people's mantra nowadays, using it to explain away anything they don't like.
But human beings consist of more than just yes or no responses and think in shades of gray, not just black or white.
A conflict that already is causing us major problems.
As Yes sings on "Big Generator":
I've heard the thunder,
underground,
tunneling away,
at the very soul of Man.

My last post on this thread. Bye.
LJ

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I suppose it's all in the context. If this show is genuinly good and uses violence to propel it's story along and feels necessary than fine, but if it's just going for the cheap shock value and have a " let's be like 'The Sopranos' and they'll watch" attitude about it than that's not cool.
Band of Brothers was a prime example of it being necesasary to show acts of extreme violence in order to tell it's story and deliver it's message. Let's just see if Kingpin can do the same thing.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The problem with LanceJ's arguments (while I agree with some of his points) is that they basically advocate that we allow only art/creative output that is appropriate for children, because they might be offended/hurt/influenced by it. We can't let society be run by a fear of bad parenting.

Plus, most people don't like overly detailed violence. The video market isn't regulated the same was as network TV, yet we don't see "Men behind the sun" or "Flower of flesh and blood" on the top of the video charts.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Saw the preview/promo for this show tonight. I'm gonna check it out. Hopefully, it will actually be a good show, apart from the violence and whatnot. I'm a big fan of mob/cartel/drug shows/movies so this caught my interest.

"It's everything we've shown you and more" I think that's how the ad went at the end. Very interesting. If it's half as interesting as the Sopranos, then it should be something.

So it's a miniseries? Only 6 shows and that's it or will they do something later if it does well on tv. How's this actually gonna work?

LennyP

Supporting Actor
The biggest problem is ABC scheduled its new Dragnet series on the same day at the same damn time, 10pm Sunday!
Miracles, Veritas, fine, I could pick Kingpin over those, but not Dragnet! Tsk, now I don't know what do... :frowning:

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
VCR? ReplayTV/TiVo?

They haven't outlawed/disabled timeshifting yet....

//Ken

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Apparently NBC, now that they own Bravo, will be running a more R-rated "director's cut" on that station in March. So that may solve your problem right there.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Sure you can. Just get a splitter and plug one RF into the TV or VCR and the other into the cable box. You can then watch one analog channel while recording another analog or digital channel.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
It is my understanding there are two versions of this
show. One version that is risky but keping within NBC
standards and another version that will run on Bravo(I
think) or some other cable network that is affiliated with NBC. The Cable version will have a higher graphic violence
content and language reflecting that content. I believe the cable version will run about 2 weeks behind the NBC version but will run about an hour longer. You can bet this will be on DVD before the end of the year.
Best
Greg

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah? That would be great, then I'll be able to record Dragnet and just get Kingpin on the other channel.
Where did you hear that Greg?

I still don't know whether it's a mid-season series like The Shield with 13 or so episodes or a mini-series with a definite conclusion and end.

Sure you can. Just get a splitter and plug one RF into the TV or VCR and the other into the cable box. You can then watch one analog channel while recording another analog or digital channel.
No I can't with this one, you select a channel right on the cable box, I can't tune into 2 channels at the same time.
I'll just get a second one, it's like 5 bucks more a month or so.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I have never seen a newer TV that could not show the analog cable channels without a cable box. One of us is misunderstanding something here.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
I have never seen a newer TV that could not show the analog cable channels without a cable box. One of us is misunderstanding something here.
Yeah I undestand you, if I plug the cable straight into the TV or VCR without it going through the cable box, I won't get a single channel, it'll be all totally scrambled.

*Goes to the other room and plugs the cable into the TV*

Oh my god! Well, you know, I've been living without any TV channels most of my life, just didn't like to have something that requires me to be home at a certain time, plus all those ads. It all changed with PVRs. Everything I watched was on DVD, I had no idea, I thought it'd all be blocked without the cable box. But the first 75 or so channels are working! Well damn, thanks for the tip, even though it took a while for me to actually try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks