'KINGPIN' will set a new standard for violence on network tv. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I saw a piece on this new show tonight on ET and from what I can see it's going to push what can be shown on broadcast television to a whole new level. I heard that at one point in the show a guy will have his leg cut off and fed to a tiger! [​IMG]
    So my question is, is this possibly the beginning of the end for the strict guidlines that have been in place for decades for the level of violence network tv shows can and cannot portray? IMO this is not a good move. Now i'm not one of those who whines about excessive violence on tv by any means, however this does sound a bit too intense for network television IMO.
    The reason they gave during the piece for the shows portrayal of violence is that they felt they needed to push the envelope for network tv even further in order to be "edgy" and attract viewers. I don't agree with that sentiment at all, sometimes less is more, and if the show is great, with great writing, acting, production values and storylines, why the need to be so graphic?

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Sometimes there's a need for graphic violence to convey a certain emotion or reaction. Sometimes the violence is there just for the fun of it (yes, I believe fictional violence can be a lot of fun). Whatever the reason, there should be no restrictions on what they can and can't show, other than the restrictions that the creaters put on themselves. I believe the guidelines for network televsion are WAY too strict, especially when it comes to documentaries and news. If Condoleeza Rice would say "Saddam is a goddamn motherfucker" and that would be caught on tape, the network guidelines would prevent them from quoting her. It's insane. They also can't (at least they always block the "naughty" parts) show non-sexual nudity, like a dead body or an african tribe without clothes. Once again, it's insane. The censorship must stop.

However, it seems in this case (judging by the ridiculous previews) that the network thinks that what made shows like "The Sopranos" and "Six feet under" (to mention two shows with sometimes graphic violence and/or language) popular is the violence. They forget that what really attracts viewers is the writing and acting, and that the violence and language are there to enhance, not create, a story.

I bet NBC will try their hardest to make this show "sexy" or "shocking", but will forget to make it interesting.

/Mike

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

A show like CSI, which has "graphic" depictions of violence and it's consequences, is effective because that's what the show is about. It's shows that have needless violence that get watchdog groups' panties in a bunch. If Kingpin uses graphic violence in a manner consistent with their subject matter, that's fine. The opening segment of Saving Private Ryan is one of the most gruesome scenes filmed outside of a horror movie, but I would say go ahead and air it uncut on primetime if you wanted, because there's a point to the violence, i.e. war is ugly.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I would expect, from the preview I saw, that there will be an uproar in the upper class Latino community for antidefemation. Can't someone ever make a series about a crime family with a white, middle-class background?

5. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

The only reason this might not be good is that people will be tuning in just to see what they do instead of because it may or may not be a good show. Then if it fails the networks will think its because of the violence level instead of the quality of programming.

I'm all for no restrictions on tv. If you don't like it then don't watch it. Its that easy.

6. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

8. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Guys, please let's get off that particular subject alright. I kinda like my threads, um, OPEN, i'm funny that way. [​IMG]

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

To discuss the limits of would-be offensive material on TV without discussing censorship and the restrictions of the broadcast networks would be pointless, IMO.

Unless you just want to discuss this particular show, in which case we should probably wait until it's aired.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Frankly, I think it's healthy for people to be offended at least once a month. At least it makes their mind work

11. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Offense is a funny thing: some Latinos will no doubt object to the show's portrayal of a Latino drug kingpin; others will watch because it's about a Latino. Questions of ethnicity aside, I'm more worried that the show is replacing "Boomtown" during Sweeps month. That's right, I read that "Boomtown" will not air during Sweeps. What's with that?

As to your question, the real issue is "what will advertisers support?" If they think that violence and sexual content will attract viewers, then that's what we will get.

12. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I'd rather see restrictions on language and nudity lessened but I don't have any problem with it. I think the larger area that you give producers to work in the more likely they'll be to make new interesting shows.

To me anything that shakes up the current bland leading the blind world of tv is a good thing.

13. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    I just saw my first official tv ad for the show and it does look interesting and i'll probably check it out. But my Lord, how did they ever manage to get this past the tv ratings board!? [​IMG]
    I saw a quick glimpse of the "leg" sequence, and a shot of a woman recieveing something very bloody in a box!
    IMO, this show's violence level won't last long.

16. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I hope the restrictions will be lessened and US network TV goes the way of UK and other European public channels where during late hours, they broadcast uncut Sopranos and things like that.

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

18. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    :b You know what Jason? I actually had no idea that this was a mini series! I thought it was going to be a regular weekly series.

Boy do I feel like a jackass! :b

19. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

20. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer