What's new

KINGPIN: Ongoing discussion thread (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I just finished watching the first two episodes on Bravo. Both ran about 5 minutes over. Does that mean there actually was extra footage, or just more commercials?

I was a little skeptical after the first episode, but it ended on a high enough note to keep me interested in the second. The second episode I enjoyed thoroughly from beginning to end. Actually reminded me of The Sopranos back when it was good.

Colin-H

Second Unit
OH MAN! Anyone who says Kingpin is not a rip-off of The Sopranos loses all credibility after the "Joey was caught drinking sacremental wine" bit. Sorry.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
who cares if it is a rip off of anything. it is one of the best hours of tv on right now.

as a matter of fact how is it a rip off of anything anyway. kingpin has the most multi-culturally diverse talent on the little screen. on top of all of that these folks actually have acting talent.

kingpin is one of the best scripted and cast programs on television. too bad it is only a few episodes. let's concentrate the attributes of what is ground breaking network television instead of criticizing and comparing it to everything that is not network tv. (i.e. sopranos, traffic, etc.)

it really disappoints me that there are always a few folks trying to tear down something that has that potential to develop better programming for all of us. i am tired of the network sitcom trash, copycat reality series and blantant run of the mill cop shows. Its about time we have something different to watch with a different type of cast as well.

djb

Jay W

Supporting Actor
As others mentioned, it looks like this is a buildup to next week's finale which seems packed.

That scene in the prison was intense, I really didn't expect that. The final scene was also very good. Been a pretty entertaining series!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chato was their prison b****. Hee hee hee. He deserved it for being such a dummy. Chato definitely thinks with mini-Chato. And Chato is going to bring La Corporacion down because of it.

I wonder how this DEA raid of Truck's ties in with the rest of La Corporacion.

I can't believe it's going to be all over on Tuesday.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
For some reason it's harder to watch a show about Drug Dealing Cartels than about the Mob. I know ...I Know... but I just don't care for any of the characters. Plus I still miss Boomtown a show that unfortunately it looks like will get axed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
But Boomtown will be coming back with new episodes in its Sunday slot.

Both The Sopranos and Kingpin share that "you eventually reap what you sow" tragic undercurrent that is supposed to humanize these characters, who simply have wider boundaries on acceptable social behavior. :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Boomtown is coming back but NBC looks ready to pull the plug, not airing a new series during sweep week is indicator enough that it's on Life support. And now the people who may have liked Boomtown that did not like Kingpin, have found Dragnet and may not come back. It's too bad Boomtown could have developed into a Homicide quality TV show, but these are different times and now shows are not given enought time to develop. In today's environment a show like the original Star Trek would'nt have made it past 13 episodes . Sad but true.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Boomtown is coming back but NBC looks ready to pull the plug, not airing a new series during sweep week is indicator enough that it's on Life support.
Well, I dunno about that, they haven't aired a new Scrubs episode all Feb. (until this coming Thurs).

Don Black

Screenwriter
I'm confused. So, did Kingpin start off as a new series but got canned because of low ratings and so NBC started billing it as a mini-series? Or was it always meant as a mini-series? Thanks.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Always a mini-series. It didn't feel much like a mini-series because each episode felt...episodic. I never got the feeling like each day was another piece of the puzzle. The only really consistent storyline was the DEA agent's involvement (which still remains unclear in terms of how it will tie back to La Corporacion) and the plastic surgeon's storyline.

Not knowing how the last episode will play out, they may have made it as a miniseries to see if there was interest for this kind of show on a longer "series"-style run.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i haven't been really that impressed with Kingpin. it's ok, but just not quite as good as i expected. and the episodes seem too jumpy, they're on to a different thing in everyone, there seems to be no continued storyline. i dunno, i guess i just wanted more from it, better plot, better scripts, better everything.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I thought that was a really good final episode.

I pray that they bring this one back as a series.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
What kind of ending was this?? Nothing was resolved! Did I miss something?

Where to begin?

How was the black producer's club tied into La Corporacion?
Whatever happened to the doctor and his black bodyguard's character?
Miguel's wife and son are now in the US and he's still in Mexico. What's gonna happen there?
Miguel's tio doesn't trust Chato or Miguel for that matter. What's gonna happen there?

I have plenty more. This can't be the end of the miniseries. It raised a lot more questions than it answered. Could it be that they're bringing it back as a series and that's why they left so many issues opened?

BTW, don't get me wrong. I liked Kingpin a lot but I didn't get a sense of closure.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
You probably didn't get a sense of closure because they want to make it into a series. A prime example of this formula is Twin Peaks...it was brought on as a 7 episode mini-series, but when it hit they brought it back for a full series.

If they had given closure, it would have felt contrived, considering you can't really point a full character arch in 6 episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks