What's new

KINGPIN: Ongoing discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
What did everyone think? I thought it was really good. I can't wait until Tuesday! 24 and Kingpin!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I liked it a lot. :emoji_thumbsup: I was initially a bit put off when I first heard about the level of violence in it, but the show was so enjoyable that the violence didn't bother me at all.

All of the blood was off screen when someone got shot, and only shown quickly when they showed a body, not that bad.

Everything else was top notch as well, I was particularly impressed by the shows production values, it really did have a theatrical film feel to it.

I learned a good lesson too: never, EVER turn your back on a tiger without wearing a mask on the back of your head! :)

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I loved it. Great stuff. I already miss "El huevudo". I found him funny. Great show and I hope the rumor of having it run on Bravo with a longer cut is also true.

Is this show gonna be Sun and Tue?

Looking on the NBC site, apparenty this show might have seasons to it. I clicked on EPISODES and on the screen there's like an arrow so you can choose witch season you want to see. INteresting INDEED!

Tues: 24 @ 8
Kingpin @ 9

My new favorite tv day.
That is unless it continues to also be on Sun. Then there's a tie.

Jay W

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it a lot too, I was preparing to watch Dragnet and just settled on this in the end :). The inevitable comparisons to the Sopranos aside I thought the pilot was pretty well done overall. The cinematography reminded me a lot of Traffic, and the acting was pretty decent. Certainly will watch a few more episodes.

Looked absolutely stunning in HD too :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I also enjoyed it. I agree about the top notch production value, it really did have a feature film feel too it. In addition, I was happy to see Sheryl Lee back on TV. Gotta love Twin Peaks connections :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I agree with the Twin Peaks referrance, now all we need is my baby Madchen Amick and i'm a happy guy. ;)

And is it me, or did the old man on the boat who spend weeks getting high, look a lot like former Police Academy baffoon G.W. Baily only older?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Mickey sounded like he'd do really well with "books on tape" due to his voice. I couldn't believe we are getting a literate sounding drug boss on TV.

Junior was hilarious, too bad they offed him. Why all the subterfuge? Was Junior never without his posse ever? Did it take being in an operating room to separate him from his posse?

Marlene is going to be a delicious character to play because she's a survivor, and she's smart.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I thought it was good but was a little put off by the obvious Godfather lifts. The whole Mickey character was a parallel of Michael, wanting to handle it more like a business. The execution scene at the end with the scenes from the Church intercut with the execution was another direct lift.

Also, what happened to the head in the box scene? It was in the preveiws but was only mentioned on the show.

I guess I've been watching too much Sopranos and CSI as I didn't think the violence and gore was that bad.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Is there going to be a re-run of the pilot?

I went to the NBC website but they didn't have a list of when the episodes where airing. Is it Sundays and Tuesdays?

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
I was unimpressed by the premiere. While the show had some excellent production values, the entire story felt very predictable to me. Since NBC has decided that this show will go head-to-head with FX's The Shield, a comparison is warranted.
  • Miguel Cadena seems like nothing more than a Latino Michael Corleone. The protagonist/antagonist duality of his character has some room for development, but it will be tough to match Vic Mackey's love-it/hate-it personality and intrigue.
  • The violence level was touted as "pushing the boundaries of network television." Did I miss something? I didn't see any boundaries being pushed. This is not a breaking point with me, since plot and characters hold much more weight than frivolous violence. Nonetheless, I was a little bit disappointed.

Overall, not a bad show, but it won't pull me away from The Shield on Tuesday nights.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
It's going to be 6 episodes:
Sundays and Tuesdays ending on 2/18

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
2 times a week. There was also another version filmed with more violence and stuff they couldn't show on tv that'll be aired on Bravo sometime later (can't remember the date).

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I was unimpressed by the premiere. While the show had some excellent production values, the entire story felt very predictable to me.
Pretty much how I felt Chad. At the 30 minute break, my wife asked if we wanted to go on. I bravely said that it had the potential to get better. We would just ignore the overacting and plot excesses and figure that they were having a hard time getting past setting everything up.

Then the ‘shady physician with a weakness’, character was introduced—conveniently, a plastic surgon.

Too many stock characters, too much overacting, too poor a script and writing—all too soon.

Did not finish the first episode and won’t be back.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Bravo will be running the weeks episodes back to back friday nights between 9-11, thats where I'll be tivoing it since Sundays are getting kinda clogged up. I read that bravo may be showing footage cut from NBC but take that with a grain of salt not sure that's true. I'm still bumming that this is preempting Boomtown for 4 weeks

LennyP

Supporting Actor
That something I should get into or am I a little late?
Part of the greatness of this series is that it's very connected, storylines continue through all the episodes of the first season and into the second, so buy the first season DVD set, and then maybe start watching the second from the middle or catch some reruns or just wait for a second season DVD set.

TarekZE

Auditioning
Only 6 episodes? You mean that's all that NBC bought right off the bat, or was the intention for this to be a miniseries all along?

-Tarek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks