What's new

Kingpin (mini-series) DVD announced! (1 Viewer)

Robin Warren

Second Unit
49.95 sounds steep for only 6 shows. Unless they are releasing the uncensored versions I think I will pass.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I doubt e-tailers will carry it for full retail. I'd expect 35 to be normal, with 30 not out of the question.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
http://www.shopnbc.com/product/?stor...=&track=-15103

PRE-ORDER KINGPIN ON DVD NOW!- please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery. Own this 6 hour PRODUCER'S CUT, a 3 Disc DVD set, with never-before-seen explicit footage. Kingpin is the dramatic story about the struggles of a powerful Mexican family, from two-time Emmy Award winner David Mills ("The Corner," "ER). A realistic drama spotlights America's war against a brutal, family-run narcotics cartel as heroic Drug Enforcement Agency operatives square off against charismatic drug chieftain Miguel Cadena...
3 Discs for 6 episodes? Maybe it'll include more.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I just emailed them to find out if it is going to be in full-frame or widescreen. I won't buy it if it isn't in widescreen. It is, afterall, broadcast in widescreen.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
Let us know then what they reply.
I'll get the DVDs either way, but if it's exclusive to NBC site, we'll have to pay full price like with those Highlander sets before they went through Anchor Bay.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Honestly, I ordered the set, but now that I have come to my senses, I'm going to cancel until they come out to the stores. They'll release it to stores before Season 2 starts. Silly me.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
No word on Season 2 yet. The show hasn't done well enough to guarantee a second season or not to.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
So nobody has this dvd set yet? Are there any confirmations on aspect ratio,surround sound,DD,DTS? Also are the episodes longer? Are the uncut scenes actually put into the episodes or are they just deleted scenes that you have to access? I really want to know because I loved this series. If it is over and there is no season 2, then I will just look at it like a long movie, kind of the way a view Band of Brothers. $49.95 is very expensive though. $39.95 is acceptable.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Well, I picked this up about an hour ago for $19.99 at Best Buy. Sure as hell beats the price the NBC store was charging for it, and is about $16 cheaper after taxes than you can get it fron the NBC store now. TVShowsOnDVD reports it to be anamorphic, but the box states..

Aspect Ratio: 178.1
Presentation Size: 4x3

...I haven't been keeping up with reviews to see if it's actually anamorphic or not though, and wont be opening it for a few days.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well, I have watched the first 2 episodes and have to say that I am very impressed. The transfer although is in 4x3 presentation is flawless. Picture quality rivals the above average dvd's out there today. And IMO, this is one of the best drama shows out there. It is a damn shame that such a great show like this is not going to be continued for a season two. A VERY damn shame! Other than The Sopranos, Law and Order, Six Feet Under and The Wire, this is one of the best drama shows on tv. And the Producers cut is even better than the tv showing. It's very, very simple. If you like The Godfather,Goodfellas,Traffic,Scarface,American Me,Clear and Present Danger or Bound by Honor, then this is a dvd mini series for you. The 4x3 presentation is beautiful and the Dolby Digital audio is great. For $19.99, this 6 episode mini series is well worth the price.It is a no brainer. I just look at it like a long movie, like Band of Brothers. Anyways, buy this dvd series. You will not be dissapointed.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Jeff...are you sure the DVD is 4x3?? The broadcast was 16x9.

Here's what the DVD Talk review says about the transfer...

Kingpin is presented in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen, and the transfer is a pretty good one. The series has a “soft” look to it, which gives it more of a theatrical feel than a television one, but there is no evidence of any major glitches or problems in the overall video on this DVD. It’s a nice, solid transfer for a TV series.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks