What's new

Kingdom of the Spiders DVD is OUT (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Goodtimes is releasing KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS today, 10/1/02 on DVD. Not sure if it is widesreen. DVDPlanet has it for like $5.99!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Someone at DVDTALK mentioned that they bought the DVD and that it is not widescreen:frowning:

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
No, it's not widescreen, but it does look better than any previous video version. Fans of the film shouldn't pass it up, especially considering the low price.

Jim Bivins

Stunt Coordinator
We don't support Pan & Scam nor Fullscreen releases here, and doing so can be dangerous to our health!
:)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Hate to say it but I think I'm actually gonna order this and hopefully get it for Halloween. I Know Shame on me for the P&S I'm gonna be bad this one time OK????

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yes it's supposed an open Matte So I'm gonna try to find this one, unfortunately mostly all the Etailers I've checked are sold out. Would love to get this for Halloween. I think I'll check our B&M Media Play tonight. They usually carry alot of cheesy Horror Films.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Hey, better full-frame than a mis-matted 1.85 that chops off too MUCH of the picture (can you say, "Horror of Dracula"??).
Try DVD Planet. They were out of stock for a few days but I finally ordered my copy last weekend. (I noticed not even Amazon carries this title -- strange).
This movie freaked me out entirely as a kid...I can't wait to see it again, for Shatner's performance if nothing else! :)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Don't even get me started on HORROR OF DRACULA.....it looks terrible on top with heads missing. However, just as much is added to the sides when compared with the fullscreen version.

Bo Myers

Auditioning
For some reason I thought KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS was a made-for-TV movie. At any rate I saw it on TV as a kid and thought the ending was really freaky. One of the few scenes in the movie I recall vividly, along with the little girl surrounded by spiders on the bed.

This movie always made me think twice about picking up old spare tires.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The good news-- the price is right (I got mine for $7.50), the colors are vibrant and there doesn't seem to be any picture information missing.

The bad news-- the print is in fair shape (lots of speckling and the occasional bad splice, with one instance of print waviness when the mom tries to rescue her daughter from the spider-filled backyard) and there's more video and chroma noise than thought possible. There's also a lot of clunkiness to edge images, suggesting that this is likely a tape source that has been cleaned up.

While I'm glad this is out (and for cheap!), I'd gladly have paid $20 for a good, more stable version with some extras ("Special 25th Anniversary Edition" my ass!-- there isn't even a trailer on it) from a better source like Anchor Bay.

Regardless, I'm glad this hasn't just been dumped onto the market like some of those $5.99 public-domain two-fers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks