What's new

Kingdom Heart Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Anyway, I'm totally undecided about this one. I'd love to see the Aladinn, Nightmare before Christmas and Pooh parts, but I never seem to finish RPGs. I think the last one I finished was Secret of Mana...
This game is no traditional RPG. In fact, I'd call it an action-adventure platformer before I'd call it a traditional RPG.

Gak... this week is gonna be rough in terms of gaming just on the PS2... I'm still addicted to SOCOM, getting Kingdom Hearts, thinking about checking out Dual Hearts, and next week both Tekken 4 and Sly Cooper come out!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Felix-

Just because a game has a low ranking on a website doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Maybe you don't have a ton of money and need to buy only what you need to buy, but if that's not the case you could at least give the game a try and then resell it on HTF, ebay, or bring it back to the store. If you happen to like a game series or a special type of game, will an internet ranking really effect your decision that much?

Truthfully, I'm psyched about KH because it's made by Square and I tend to like their games. It's a personal bias in their favor. Same thing goes for Nintendo's games. Pretty much every game by Nintendo and Square, with maybe one or two exceptions, I have enjoyed a lot. With that track record, combined with the fact that KH has gotten good buzz and looks like it's well done, I have more than enough reasons to buy it.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
i think you guys should take this one with a big grain of salt. especially when the game is under 90 percent on gamerankings.
Ummm... the game isn't even out yet. Those people voting are probably the fanboys who are trying to pepper the ranking before it comes out.

Wait a bit for it to be out and then see what the impressions are.

I, for one, will pick up the game tomorrow and will post my initial impressions here as soon as I can.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Ummm... the game isn't even out yet. Those people voting are probably the fanboys who are trying to pepper the ranking before it comes out.
GameRankings collates the marks from a list of magazines & websites, rather than public votes. It's trying to be the 'rotten tomatoes' of the game world.

GamePen 8/27/2002 5 out of 5 100.0%
netjak 9/16/2002 9.7 out of 10 97.0%
PSX2.com 8/27/2002 9.3 out of 10 93.0%
RPG Fan 9/6/2002 92 out of 100 92.0%
DarkStation 9/16/2002 9 out of 10 90.0%
Playstation Magazine 9/8/2002 4.5 out of 5 90.0%
Games Radar 6/14/2002 87 out of 100 87.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 8/24/2002 8.5 out of 10 85.0%
Gamespy 9/3/2002 84 out of 100 84.0%
GameSpot 9/16/2002 8.2 out of 10 82.0%
PSM Magazine 8/24/2002 8 out of 10 80.0%
Xen Gamers 8/26/2002 B 80.0%
Gaming Horizon 9/11/2002 4 out of 5 80.0%
Game Nikki 9/16/2002 8 out of 10 80.0%
TechTV 9/13/2002 4 out of 5 80.0%

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Brian: I didn't know that. I thought it was via voting.

That TechTV 4 out of 5 seems like it should be more than 80%, though, as they loved the game. Weird.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm a bit wary of some of the websites they use in their main rankings, but generally, it's a nice idea - good way to get an "all in one" feel for a game's reviews.

As for the TechTV review, 4/5 translates to 80/100. That's a problem with only using a scale with only 5 values on it.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
"Just because a game has a low ranking on a website doesn't mean you can't enjoy it."

no, really. i tried games whose grades are under 90, and i didnt like them 95 percent of the time. no one lives forever was one of the exception,it got 89 percent but i enjoyed it very much ( pc version ).

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, will pick up the game tomorrow and will post my initial impressions here as soon as I can.
JoshF, keep in mind the game is set to ship on the 17th. Meaning it more than likely will not be in stores until the 18th. Just a heads up man.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
felix-

I know this is off topic with the main point of this thread, but could you please list some games you tried that got less than 80% that you tried and didn't like?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
JoshF, keep in mind the game is set to ship on the 17th. Meaning it more than likely will not be in stores until the 18th. Just a heads up man.
Romier: Yes, I know, but I have a little source here in the city. I won't have a chance to play until Wednesday anyway, though.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Looks like it got a 9/10 from IGN... here are the closing comments of the review:

Indeed, I found this entire game quite impressive. For something with a goofball camera like this to nevertheless remain a compelling action-RPG requires some substantial assets in other areas.

Kingdom Hearts assuredly has those assets. It's hard to properly express the coolness of this game's setting and presentation to someone who hasn't dove right into it. Donald Duck gets flattened by Yuffie the ninja slamming the door as Squall and Sora bash Heartless out of second-story windows -- thoroughly unlikely, yes, but doesn't it sound cool? Well, perhaps not to some, but if so, they're not geeky enough to be reading this, and are hence advised to go find some other website.

The game as a whole shows some loose ends hanging here and there, things like that Gummi Ship that just don't seem to justify their existence properly. Given the size of this project, though, the number of disparate elements needing to be crammed together, and the huge variety of cooks stirring the soup from both the Square and Disney sides, it's amazing that this has a single end sewn up tight, never mind that it turned into such an engaging adventure. If you like Square, or if you like Disney, or if you'd just like to check out an impressive action-RPG, Kingdom Hearts should be at the top of your list this fall.

-- David Smith

Presentation
A simple story, an engaging cast, and enough character for a fistful of other games. Production values all around are top-notch, and the interface is versatile while remaining simple.
Graphics
Strong designs and brilliant animation carry the day, even if the total level of detail isn't extremely high.
Sound
Yoko Shimomura's score pulls a disparate variety of influences together, and the voice acting is superb.
Gameplay
Compelling and effective, but not without some severe problems at the time. The camera still makes me dizzy...
Lasting Appeal
The main quest is 25-30 hours with a modicum of side-questing. Completists will get a good 40 hours at least.
OVERALL SCORE (not an average)

MatS

Screenwriter
so what is the deal, everyone too busy playing??! ;)
I should talk. I just played a few minutes on the store display, picked one up and here I am on the computer. Time to crack this baby open.
looked gorgeous and played great from the few minutes I spent with it at the store

JoshF

Supporting Actor
It's fantastic. I only started yesterday as well, but it's truly a great game, probably the best of the year for me so far.

millercv

Second Unit
Well my copy is sitting here on my desk (found it at circuit city over lunch, Best Buy hadn't gotten it in yet) after reading more reviews I'm glad I rushed to get through Super Mario Sunshine before getting this :)

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Love it so far. I at the Cave of Wonders getting annoyed to death by the blasted fat thugs lurking about. But that is a sign of a good game.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I got it last night. Met Leon in Traverse Town. Suprising game. I really wasn't interested in getting it before but since Terminator was returned and I wanted to get something I picked it up. What a great suprise. Kingdom is fantastic so far. Its still strange to have Donald and Goofy running around but man does the game have charm.
Good job so far on a really unique idea Square:emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I picked it up on weds, and played up till where you get to fly the Gummi ship for the 1st time.
The combat system is fairly simple but takes a bit of practice to get used to the camera. The detail is very nice, and you actually set how much xp you need to Gain lvls when you answer some questions at the start of the game.
Note that you can change the camera from auto to manual. The number of optional stuff in this game amazes me, I'll be playing it again using a strategy guide (after I beat it) to make sure I get EVERYTHING :)
This game is definitly going to take away from my Dark Age of Camelot time. I'd definitly give it at least an A-, it's one rock solid game from Square.
BTW Anyone else find the intro just plain COOL when you first turned it on, and note the Disney logo comes before the Squaresoft one :)
Brian

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I loved the intro movie.. and It want until the beginning of the game that I noticed it had a 18 minute intro!!!
But I bet Disney paid for most of it lol, thats why they got there name first!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks