Kingdom Heart Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kenneth Cummings, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Kenneth Cummings

Kenneth Cummings Supporting Actor

I surprize nobody has talked about this strange game from Squaresoft and Disney working together. It coming out next week and there no threads at all in the archives on this. Can't go wrong with a game with Jafar and Clayton as bosses while using Goofy and Doanld Duck.

2. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i havent read any preview about the game, but i did hear about the hype. what do you guys expect from this game? based on the premise, it looks like it is going to depend too much on the famous characters names.

is it gonna be a turnbased rpg?

3. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

There is a review for Kingdom Hearts up at Gamespot. It mentions that there is more of a Disney presence in the game than a Square one, but overall I felt the review was pretty encouraging. It is not turn-based though it does still have a lot of the features of a FF-type game.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I've read pretty good reviews about this title. I really want to pick it up but I NEVER seem to finish any Square RPGs I buy. Of course, since my wife is a HUGE Disney fan this one has been tempting...

5. Kenneth Cummings

It seems to be a bit short, like the old Mario RPG, but that fine, as the replay will be just as good too.

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I've read that the American version features all kinds of stuff, like American voices (the lips are re-synced for them), additional modes, a few added things in terms of items, weapons, or quests, and some other tiny tweaks.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this game, but I won't buy it because I have no money and I have to get Super Mario Sunshine first.

7. Kenneth Cummings

Do what I did with Mario Sunshine and Kingdom Hearts...trade off old games to a local store. I made a number of money doing this and got rid of a much needed RPG too at the time from Funcoland (Ico).

8. Kenneth Cummings

I guess not a lot of people want to talk about Kingdom Hearts. Oh well, at least the thread never got the "Sephiroth is voiced by Lance Bass" mess yet.

9. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

This game comes out tomorrow, and I'm pretty psyched. Did anyone else catch the latest Extended Play on TechTV? They led off with an in-depth review of this game, and they LOVED it.

Anyone else picking this up tomorrow?

10. felix_suwarno

i am not picking it up. waiting for starfox!

i downloaded lots of clips of this game from gamespot and ign, and i disliked the presentation. i hate it when sora screams "ooh! aahhh!! come on!!" everytime he attacks his enemies. i prefer "woohoo! waaahaaa! mmmaaah!! mommaa!!" ( ya know, that plumber? )

the gameplay looks similar to secret of mana. the bosses ( i saw two of them ) looked quite good. i am not sure whether this game was created with kids in mind, because everything looked so simple. in comparison with mario sunshine, sure it was kiddy, but in terms of difficulty, far from it. i am 26, and still had difficulties with that game.

that is my impression so far. i might get the game next year when the price had become 20 bucks, but definetely not this year where starfox, metroid, shinobi and resident evil zero are waiting for me to grab.

11. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Felix, I hear ya, but I just have one thing to say: Squaresoft.

I have a feeling this game is going to be great.

12. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

I thought the game looked good on Extended Play.
    Regardless of the score (a very solid 8.2) from the gamespot review this one sounds interesting to me.
    They mention a camera problem (can it be any worse than Mario Sunshine?) which is so common in most games today, & sadly almost feels normal & expected now. [​IMG]
    My wife & son are huge Disney fans & Square usually means quality so I'm sure I will pick this one up at some point.
    I have too many other games to finish right now though.
    I like the fact that this one is an action adventure instead of a turn based RPG.
    There are just too few good games in this genre as of late.
    Todd

13. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

14. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I just want it for the Nightmare Before Xmas bits.

15. Kenneth Cummings

If it like Secret of Mana, then I will be playing it endlessly. Because SoM is my favorite game of the SNES (more then Bahamut Lagoon and Final Fantasy IV). I didn't read much on the gameplay yet, due to many sites I like going down (TheGIA) or being greedy (IGN, Videogames.com).

16. felix_suwarno

squaresoft means quality cg cutscenes, not gameplay. sometimes they also write enjoyable story ( in the case of secret of mana which i enjoyed almost 10 years ago ). but gameplay? they offer no variation so far. it usually goes like this, hack-slash, upgrade level, fight boss, talk talk talk, repeat.

kingdom hearts looks more like a platformer, but still i am very skeptical about it.

17. Todd Schnell

Todd Schnell Second Unit

Sorry to get off the main topic here, but I'm curious.

18. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

19. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

20. felix_suwarno

you guys are interested with this game because it is square-made, and it has disney characters. i did the same mistake with mario sunshine. it is nintendo, and it has mario = triple A quality game. no it is not, mario64 was superior in everyway.

i think you guys should take this one with a big grain of salt. especially when the game is under 90 percent on gamerankings.

and morgan, parasite eve ( both of them ) and brave fencer musashi are scored under 80 percent. too bad i didnt have the chance to try vagrant story.