What's new

King Vidor Lincoln Center Retrospective with TCM including Northwest Passage! (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It’s simply a King Vidor retrospective showing many of his films.
Wonder if its tied to his birthday or another milestone

This film is so great and was a MGM biggie - needs some major love!

Attachments

• 1659730022723.png
    1659730022723.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 22

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
If any forum member attends perhaps they could post their impressions of the Northwest Passage print here?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
If any forum member attends perhaps they could post their impressions of the Northwest Passage print here?
My hope too!!! Such a great fim great cast A plus MGM production! I love Ruth Hussey too by the way she was actually a relation to Rowland Hussey Macy the founder of Macy's the family settled in Nantucket so she is playing a part of a person that lived in that area on the film!
1659822254315.png

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
My hope too!!! Such a great fim great cast A plus MGM production! I love Ruth Hussey too by the way she was actually a relation to Rowland Hussey Macy the founder of Macy's the family settled in Nantucket so she is playing a part of a person that lived in that area on the film! View attachment 147831

"These movies also made a considerable impression on the critics-turned-directors of Cahiers du Cinéma and the French New Wave, namely Luc Moullet and Jean-Luc Godard. Yet, for all his on-screen achievements, Vidor is seldom given his due as one of the studio system’s enduringly great auteurs. Join us at FLC as we seek to change that with a long-awaited retrospective, a survey of his vast body of work that highlights his most celebrated pictures alongside undersung efforts." FROM THE INFO on the Retrospective Cool Podcast https://soundcloud.com/filmlinc

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
During the Turner ownership we made new elements of NORTHWEST PASSAGE from the original 3-strip negatives. As I remember, the answer print was excellent, and part of our arrangement with Eastman House was to supply them with a print. That must be what is referred to in this article.
Thank you Mr. May! You have done so much for film preservation THANK YOU! Hopefully Mr F at WAC will see this thread and greenlight a restored Blu Ray! Were the negs in in good shape then? Hope they can make a stunning Blu ray someday!

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
It’s simply a King Vidor retrospective showing many of his films.
Just saw they honored him too at the 70th Berlin Film Festival === some of the same films shown others too love my fave films description ----
USA, 1940, directed by King Vidor, Jack Conway and Harold Weinberger
Still from the film Northwest Passage

Spencer Tracy, Walter Brennan, Robert Young
© 1940 Turner Entertainment Co. All Rights Reserved.
About 1760, a young painter joins a punitive mission against Native Americans. He is unprepared for the terrible hardships and a massacre along the way. Spencer Tracy is impressive as the shady ranger Robert Rogers in this Technicolor western. they call it a Technicolor Western!!!!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just saw they honored him too at the 70th Berlin Film Festival === some of the same films shown others too love my fave films description ----
USA, 1940, directed by King Vidor, Jack Conway and Harold Weinberger
Still from the film Northwest Passage

Spencer Tracy, Walter Brennan, Robert Young
© 1940 Turner Entertainment Co. All Rights Reserved.
About 1760, a young painter joins a punitive mission against Native Americans. He is unprepared for the terrible hardships and a massacre along the way. Spencer Tracy is impressive as the shady ranger Robert Rogers in this Technicolor western. they call it a Technicolor Western!!!!
Is anyone going to see it I think 9pm Aug 9!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Item details​

Date​

August 9, 2022 9:00PM

Location​

Walter Reade Theater

Name​

Northwest Passage
,for

Purchase items​

Quantity for Walter Reade Theater​

• General Public $15.00​

0 1 2 3 4
  • Senior (62+) $12.00​

0 1 2 3 4
  • Student (valid ID) $12.00​

0 1 2 3 4
  • Persons with Disabilities $12.00​

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Item details​

Date​

August 9, 2022 9:00PM

Location​

Walter Reade Theater

Name​

Northwest Passage
,for

Purchase items​

Quantity for Walter Reade Theater​

• General Public $15.00​

0 1 2 3 4
  • Senior (62+) $12.00​

0 1 2 3 4
  • Student (valid ID) $12.00​

0 1 2 3 4
  • Persons with Disabilities $12.00​

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks