What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
As grand an adventure as was ever filmed during Hollywood’s Golden Age, Compton Bennett and Andrew Marton’s King Solomon’s Mines continues to pass the test of time more than seventy years after its original production.

King Solomon's Mines (1950)

Released: 24 Nov 1950
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 103 min

Director: Compton Bennett, Andrew Marton
Genre: Action, Adventure, Romance

Cast: Deborah Kerr, Stewart Granger, Richard Carlson
Writer(s): Helen Deutsch, H. Rider Haggard

Plot: Adventurer Allan Quartermain leads an expedition into uncharted African territory in an attempt to locate an explorer who went missing during his search for the fabled diamond mines of King Solomon.

IMDB rating: 6.8
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I miss the reel change markers. I've always thought of them as part of the movie-going experience. Back in the LD/DVD days, they were also very helpful in determining whether a "full screen" disc of a flat widescreen movie was full frame or cropped.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I miss the reel change markers. I've always thought of them as part of the movie-going experience. Back in the LD/DVD days, they were also very helpful in determining whether a "full screen" disc of a flat widescreen movie was full frame or cropped.
I agree. I was so used to seeing them theatrically that I thought of them as part and parcel of the film.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I've just watched the DVD. I do not see mis-registration or other problems but the entire on location shoot is soft. However, there are some studio shots early in the film that are not soft. Therefore, softness appears to be more to do with the print than the transfer. Has anyone compared the DVD & Blu-ray & care to comment?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've just watched the DVD. I do not see mis-registration or other problems but the entire on location shoot is soft. However, there are some studio shots early in the film that are not soft. Therefore, softness appears to be more to do with the print than the transfer. Has anyone compared the DVD & Blu-ray & care to comment?
There is no reason to compare because the Blu-ray blows the DVD out of the water presentation-wise. As soon as I played the entire Blu-ray, the DVD was placed into the trash bin.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.