King of the Hill Season Three

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Shem Kellogg, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Shem Kellogg

Shem Kellogg Agent

Any news on KOTH Season Three? I remeber Season Two had that insert about S3 for Spring 04...

2. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

No news, nah, I believe it's being held up due to music issues.

EDIT: Someone just posted at another forum a bit on this:

"Its not [the music right]- it is the commentaries and the review that the staff desires for the entire package, while still producing the current show. JLB was way ahead of the game in obtaining rights, and insisted that a little extra coin was spent up front so that all rights would be wrapped up neatly for every distribution method later.

Music clearances for use of all non-original and non-commissioned music were, and, generally, for most shows, still are solely obtained for initial broadcasts and syndication runs of shows. Because its much cheaper that way. Until the market exploded this past year for "tv on DVD" - now if a producer & network truly believe in a show's potential as a "keeper" (which still isn't very many,) they'll obtain 'universal' rights, which are more expensive. [Shows used to not bother licensing music for syndication runs as well, and just replace the music with a cheaper sound-similar cover, or another, cheaper song - until "WKRP in Cincinatti" lost its entire syndication value, b/c it used too much great licensed music, and it would have been prohibitively expensive to replace it all...]"

3. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I read that other forum, but the guy in that post was talking specifically about The Simpsons, namely that The Simpsons, unlike KotH and other shows, paid extra to get the music rights for other media ("JLB" is Simpsons co-creator James L. Brooks). With King of the Hill, as with Malcolm in the Middle, the issues seem to have to do with music rights; at least that's what a guy from Fox said in an interview ("Music rights have held us back with King of the Hill and Malcolm in the Middle").

The only KotH news I have is from a week or so ago, in an email from Fox Home Entertainment's publicity rep:

Still no word on any release date.

4. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

5. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

I'm waiting for it also. It contains the episode "PEGGY'S FAN FAIR".

6. Jaime_Weinman

No, he was talking about the Simpsons, not King of the Hill. Here's the line he was replying to (he quoted it): "And I suspect that the real reason it takes so long to bring out the seasons of The Simpsons is not recording the commentaries, but clearing the music rights." He replied that no, The Simpsons was held up by the commentaries and the insistence of the creative staff on inspecting the package. KotH doesn't have as many commentaries and the creative team isn't particularly involved in the DVD sets.

Bradley-E: Peggy's Fan Fair is season 4, not 3.

7. Jaime_Weinman

Take this with not merely a grain of salt but an entire shaker full of salt, but today someone posted the following on another message board:

I have no way of knowing whether this is accurate or not, but it does fit with what Fox PR said (that they were in a "holding pattern" but it's in the works and they hope to get it out soon).

8. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I hope this is true. I just looked at my seasons 1&2 sets and hope they they continue them. The show just gets better and better for me and must have these sets.

9. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

As long as it does not have some outrageous price, I will be fine shelling out a few more bucks to capture the magic of King of the Hill. True, it is not my favorite show, but it can deliver the laughs on occassion.

Ryan