What's new

King of the Hill Season 1 Video is darn-tootin' bad! (1 Viewer)

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished reviewing KOTH and I have to say it's the worst video transfer I've ever seen.

It's shaky beyond all belief. There's shimmering all over the place. Edge enhancement is super big during certain scenes. Plus, there's more noise than what come out of kids first crack at playin' an instrument.

I'm not happy at all.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I thought the video on Family Guy was one of the best transfers I've ever seen. Very bright and colors were dead on.

As for King of the Hill it's a very drab show but that's no excuse for these problems.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
To be fair, all the other reviews I've read (one, two, three, four) give the video transfer high marks. I don't expect the same quality from a TV show as I do an actual film, so I doubt I'll be disappointed.

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
Is it at least better than South Park: Season One? You can download episodes off the internet that look better than that noise-infested crap! I felt like a sucker for purchasing the damn thing especially with the commentary BS.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Family Guy looks great compaired to this transfer. I'm not kidding the bounce on the video started to distract me. Most of the time I miss the little flaws, but this was really bad. It's most noticable during the pilot episode.

Perhaps the other reviews didn't watch that episode, as the jumpiness at least settled down after the first one, but still the shimmering and the noise were present throught.

I'll see if I can capture some images and hopefully they'll show the offset. It moved a good 2cm in one shake.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
A lot of these early seasons were never meant for DVD. They were made to be shown on TVs with cable at best.

Now that they are on DVD, you're likely seeing them better than they did originally. Of course, they *could* totally remaster the episodes from film...but they'd never make money from the DVDs that way.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Shane, couldn't find a review on your site to get the in-depth stuff on the set. Also your site is a bit wider than 800x600 resolution, just a head's up.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
These problems are probably in the original animation and not fixable without tremendous expense from Fox and then the set would cost us alot more. Check these 'problem' episodes in syndication to see if they are there too or only on dvd.

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

The review will be going up this weekend. And yes, I know it's just a little larger than 800x600. It's 848 I think. I'm in the midst of a complete site redesign.

TerryW,

I'll see if I can catch an episode on TV. Typically I don't bother watching TV because of my love for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks