King of the Hill in-character Commentaries

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jaime_Weinman, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

While waiting for Fox to announce the third season of King of the Hill (and waiting through the Fox network's tortuous pattern of football pre-emptions, timeslot changes and other annoyances), I thought I'd ask this question: Do people who have the first two sets like or dislike the decision to have "in-character" commentaries?

I go back and forth on it... on the one hand, voice actors, important as they are, only work like two days a week on an episode, so the amount of anecdotes they might have "as themselves" tends to be limited (the voice actors on The Simpsons season 3, as themselves, don't always have a great deal to say). On the other hand, because the in-character commentaries seem to be wholly improvised, they're not all that in-character and don't necessarily have a lot of repeat value. And at least one of the voice actors (Johnny Hardwick as Dale) was also a writer for the show, so he would presumably have quite a bit to say as himself.

Like I said, I go back and forth on it... I know some people who really hate this approach and others who really like it. I do think the approach overall works better on the second set because the actors break character more often to talk about themselves or their fellow actors (e.g. Pamela Segall, or "Bobby," talking about the Emmy she won for the show). And the approach got some favorable mentions in the newspapers, so I suspect they'll continue it in future seasons -- though we'll see when the third season is announced.

2. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I listened to each in character commentary once, and doubt I will listen to them a second time. I actually like the voice actor partisipation on the Simpsons better because while they might not have much to say, they're not just by themselves talking so it really doesn't matter. Plus, for most of them it was their first experience with recording commentaries, which I find to be a factor.

As for the in character commentaries on King of the Hill, I still want my damn Boomhauer track!

In other words, if they continue like they do now with a couple of tracks from the creative end Writers/producers/directors and a couple of character tracks, I'm fine. If they toss everyone in a room like the Simpsons, I'm fine with that also. I think of all the Fox TV on DVD though, from the animated side, the best commentaries are on Futurama.

But, seriously if they're going to do the character commentaries then I demand a Boomhauer track, it can be Boomhauer and Hank, or just Boomhauer but that's what I want.

Plus, football season is now over, for Fox anyway, so you should have a regular pattern now.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

It's pretty obvious that Mike Judge doesn't want to participate in the DVD extras. No idea why, but unless he changes his mind, we won't see anything of this sort...

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

you're right about Judge, I want a Boomhauer track, but I don't expect one now or anytime soon. He was apart of that documentary on season 1, and recorded some dialog for the DVD menus, but that's been the extent of his involvement on extras. Its a shame, but ultimately its his choice.

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Perhaps he is just too busy.

6. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Maybe because Judge lives in Austin most of the year, or maybe because, as Jeff said, he's just very busy (didn't Peter Staddon say, when asked about the status of the Office Space special edition, that they can't get it done because "Mike is a busy guy?").