What's new

"King of the Hill" appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Anybody else who loves this show as much as I do, post your favorite episodes, lines, characters, etc. here.

My unofficial ten favorite episodes, courtesy of http://epguides.com/KingoftheHill/

1. Junkie Business (Hank's new employee is a drug addict)
2. Jumpin' Crack Bass (The guys fish with crack bait)
3. A Firefighting We Will Go (The guys become volunteer firefighters)
4. Flush With Power (Water shortage/low-power toilets)
5. Plastic White Female (Bobby makes out with Luanne's beauty-school head)
6. The Man Who Shot Kane Skretteberg (Paintball wars)
7. Hilloween (Sally Field wants to ban Halloween)
8. Husky Bobby (Bobby becomes a fashion model)
9. They Call It Bobby Love (Bobby eats the 72-ounce steak)
10. To Spank With Love (Paddlin' Peggy)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
King of the Hill is my favorite animated program. I think right now it is far better than the Simpsons. I have to many favorite episodes to name and I haven't seen an episode I didn't like. However I must say I love episodes focusing on Dale, he is definetly my favorite character.

My favorite Dale quote is from the episode where he discovers the army program "Infinite Walrus" that was used to turn Bill into a fat hairy super soldier capable of defending the arctic. I think it was something like this, "When the army finds out they will report him to their higher ups at AOL and they will kill him and everyone on his buddy list"

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Excellent, I love this show! I am not a fan of any other animated sitcoms, but I've been on KOTH's bandwagon since day one. All the characters are wonderful, the dialogue is well-written, the situations are humorous whuile generally not being over the top, and in the end, it's really just a simple show about a man trying to raise his family the best he can while having to deal with the Gribbles, the Dauterives, the Boomhauers, and the Souphanousinaphones of the world. I think Mike Judge does an excellent job of capturing a poignant, amusing slice of Southwestern Americana in this show.

Chris

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I'm a big fan. I was born and raised in suburban Texas and no longer live in the state, so my appreciation for the show has only increased since our move. It is such a well written show.

Hank: "Bobby, I'd hug ya if you weren't my own son."

----

Hank: "An all Texas Superbowl. (Looks to the heavens) Thy will be done."

----

Dale: "I am an American Indian. Were do you think my love for tobacco products and my disdain for the Federal Government come from?"

----

Kudos to Mike Judge for a fantastic show. Never was a fan of B&B, but I love KOTH.

Peace,

DM

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
This is my favorite animated show too, and though I think it was better in the first three seasons or so than it is now, I have to admit it has maintained a remarkably consistent level of quality. I do think they need to cut down on the "Hank tries to toughen Bobby up" or "Bobby gets involved in some weird activity" plots, 'cause they've done too many.

My favorite character is Luanne -- which probably explains why I prefer the earlier seasons, because she's now no longer in most episodes -- but Bill is a close second. I guess I like the characters who have really depressing backstories, but I don't know what that says about me. I used to love Peggy but the writers have made her too much of a psychopath in the past few years. Oh, and somehow I love Buck Strickland just for being such a sleazebag.

Favorite episodes include "Plastic White Female" (Bobby and the mannequin head), "Square Peg" (Peggy teaches sex ed), "Texas City Twister" (tornado), "Return to La Grunta" (abusive dolphin).

Favorite quotes include:

BILL: That was a breakup. Or at least that's what it was the last time I ran into the house crying.

LUANNE: Mr. Boomhauer had grown-up sex with the ice cream lady, and now he's dumped her. You're never gonna have ice cream again, Bobby.

DALE: I am merely here to enjoy Earth Day and play some hacky sack. (Also "Earth first! Make Mars our bitch!")

HANK: No novelty grills.
GEORGE FOREMAN: NOVELTY GRILLS????

If you want some KotH info, I'll plug my own page: http://www.geocities.com/otelloverdi/koth.htm

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Nice site Jaime!

I used to love Peggy but the writers have made her too much of a psychopath in the past few years.
I'm with ya. The recent school board election show is a good example of this. It wasn't funny and not consistent with the Peggy that we've known and loved from season one.

I forgot about the George Foreman episode. Very funny.

Hank: "Well at least the grills I sell can't be found in housewares."

Peace,

DM

KerryK

Stunt Coordinator
I think my favorite is "Aisle 8A" when Hank has to take Connie to the MegaLo Mart to buy tampons. That whole scene just cracks me up.

I think Bobby's my favorite character. The one where he becomes a "Husky" clothing model is priceless!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Do you think LuAnn's character is being used less simply because Brittany Murphy is in too high demand these days? I love King of the Hill, and seeing the prototype in early Beavis & Butthead shows is a hoot now!

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
The red-haired kid Dooley has some of the funniest lines.

"I peed in some kid's locker."
"Girls sports are a joke."
"Your lunch money had a Canadian quarter in it."
"I pulled your pants down."
"Your dad got blown up."

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the show in a while but I did really like it when I used to watch. Being from Texas, it was always fun to see what Mike Judge and the other guys on the show would come up with, as they're very good observers of people and are able to parody that setting without being jerks about it. It's amazing how many people from that show my family and I used to meet in real life. Like Bobby is *exactly* like a kid that lives a couple of houses down from my mom, right down to his haircut, build, and blank facial expression ;)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Do you think LuAnn's character is being used less simply because Brittany Murphy is in too high demand these days?
I don't know. Murphy's been in the last two episodes (as Luanne and a little girl last night, and a couple of weeks ago as the little girl who thought Bill was Santa). It could just as easily be that the writers lost interest in the character and didn't want to write her in if they don't have to. (Writing for women, I have to say, does not seem to be the big strength of most of the current writers -- hence we get Psycho Peggy, and even Luanne was written last night as less sympathetic than she used to be.)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Speaking of last night's episode, I was kind of appalled that they ended with the suggestion that Buck might reform and devote himself to his true saviour, Lady Propane. I could deal with Luanne moving out, Joseph growing up, Nancy breaking up with John Redcorn (though I miss, respectively, live-in Luanne, Brittany Murphy's Joseph voice, and Nancy's affair) -- but if they take away Buck's sleaziness, that's one change too many. :)

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Just thought I'd revive this thread... like The Simpsons, KotH's new season will start late (November 2), but a few things have been announced recently:

- Fox has already renewed King of the Hill for a ninth season, so the Alamo Beer will keep popping until at least 2005.
- The complete second season is due on DVD on November 11 (interestingly, the entire cast is doing those in-character audio commentaries this time -- except for Mike Judge; maybe he's not an audio-commentary kind of guy).

And there have been a bunch of guest stars announced for this season, season 8 (including Brad Pitt, Elijah Wood, and Ben Stiller), and two or three storylines... the ones that have been officially announced can be found at http://www.geocities.com/arlen_texas/upcoming.htm , part of the KotH info page (http://www.geocities.com/arlen_texas )

Oh, and I should add that the late great John Ritter guest-voiced on KotH a few times, playing the music teacher at Bobby's school. His last appearance, in fact, was in the season 7 finale. RIP, Mr. Ritter. :frowning:

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i love this show too. my favourite episode that hasn't been mentioned here is Bobby moving into the doghouse. :) :)

i hope they release the DVDs for this show faster than Simpsons. so far so good...

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I love this show. My favorite episodes are when they flash back to when Hank, Bill, Dale, and Boomhauer were kids and/or teenagers. Favorite characters are Dale and Cotton. Funny how every time they show John Redcorn they play some classic rock song.

Dooley could be Butthead's brother.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Hank: Excuse me, are you with the cult?

Cult Member: We're not a cult. We're an organization that promotes love, and --

Hank: Yeah, this is it.

- Fun With Jane and Jane

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Great line heard last night on KOH:

"It's 6 o'clock in the morning, and already the boy ain't right!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks