What's new

King Of Recievers!!!! (1 Viewer)

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

Just wondering your opinion on each of these recievers. I want to use my system primarily for music.

Denon AVR 1802
Yamaha RXV 630
Marantz SR 5200

Cheers

Nick V

Second Unit
If it's mostly for music, I would definately go with the Marantz SR-5200. No question in my mind!!

On the other hand if you're gonna be listening to music and watching movies, it might be a slightly different story.

Also, Marantz and Denon are coming out with new models very soon, in fact Denon has already begun shipping their AVR-1403 and 1603, which probably means that the 1803 isn't far away if it's not already out. I'm not sure about the date(s) for the new Marantz units. Just something to think about...

Nick V

Second Unit
I would also suggest you take a look at a NAD receiver if you're into music.
Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with their product lineup so you might want to check out their web page for more product information and pricing.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Of those 3 I'd pick the Marantz for music. I predict the Denon and Yamaha will sound bright in the highs even though I never heard them before. :D

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys

Does anyone else have any experience with these models. And also.... if the marantz is better at playing music then does that perhaps mean that it lacks in the home theater department compared to the other models.

Cheers

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
none of them will 'lack' in any area, but their strongpoints will be in different places. the marantz line is know for its musicality, and i'd personally choose the SR5200 out of those receivers listed.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Having spent some time with the 4200 and the 5200, I'd say they don't lack anything in the HT department. I agree, the Marantz would be a great choice for music (very similar to H/K).

-AM

Gregg_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am a current marantz user. I have an older sr7000. It is very musical and works well in home theater as well. Its amp is rather warm so you want to make sure you are mating it with appropriate speakers. The build quality is also great. In the 2.5 years of use I have had no problems.

Gregg

Nick V

Second Unit
I used to have a Marantz 5200 then upgraded to the 6200 and now I have a Yamaha 1200. The Marantz units outperformed the Yamaha in the musical domain, but I prefer the Yamaha with movies, and I watch movies/tv WAY more often than I critically listen to music.

You should really try to listen to all three of them to decide which unit you prefer. Each of their sound signatures are fairly different IMO. Warm, Neutral, Bright even though those terms are all VERY subjective.

Michael Roderiques

Stunt Coordinator
I would also suggest the NAD line of receivers.
If your first line is wanting quality music play back, then an NAD is going to be a hard unit to beat. They are very capable units for HT as well.
The new DVD/CD unit is also well reviewed for both music and HT.
The problem with NAD is it is hard to find dealers. They did have some production problems with the early T-750/760 units, then that seems to have been fixed in the T751/761 units. Rumor mill says they are gearing up for a new T752/762 and should be released soon. I think the T752 is now shipping
Here is the link to the NAD specs http://www.nadelectronics.com/Receiver/T752.html

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Cyrus,

I own a Denon 1802 and there is NOTHING wrong with its musical abilities. I have not heard the Marantz so couldn't comment, but would recommend that you audition both of them to see which one you like better. I think the 1802 is a great receiver for HT and Music for the money.

Hope this helps,

Reg

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'll back Reggie with the 1802. Although one very important note I have to make is that the 1802 is the only receiver of quality I've ever owned. Therefore, I cannot compare to others. While I feel Denon is the best I've ever heard, it's almost literlly the only thing I've ever heard. :) But anyway, I feel that the music is reproduced wonderfully through this machine.
I will say that Marantz and H/K are usually highly reguarded for music purposes.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I have Marantz SR6200, it works great with music and movies. I'm just waiting for the SR7300, to upgrade my system. But no regrets at all with marantz, good reciever for everything.

Another thing that you should consider is the type and brand of speakers that you will use. That will affect a lot the outcome of your system.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I own a Yamaha RX-V995 that IMHO sounds great for music. But I have to agree that if you are mainly listening to music. That you would like the Marantz over the Denon and the Yamaha. I have owned Denon and Yamaha and while depending on your taste they both can do a great job as well. IMHO Marantz is geared more towards music and would be a great choice for you. Not to say that it would suck at movies. But for movies I would go towards Pioneer Elite, Denon, Sunfire or Rotel. Depends on your taste and budget and what features you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks