1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

King of Queens Boxset question

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Sven Lorenz, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Sven Lorenz

Sven Lorenz Supporting Actor

The boxset of King of Queens that will be released next month will be in fullscreen.
    From the fifth season on KoQ was aired in widescreen on HDTV and in fullscreen on normal TV.
    The opening sequence (which hasn't been changed since season two) is also in widescreen on HDTV so it must have been shot in widescreen back in season two.
    So does anybody here have any info on whether KoQ was shot in widescreen from the beginning?
    And if it wasn't - when did they start shooting in widescreen?
    I don't want to buy the boxset if it's in the wrong aspect ratio.

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

3. Sven Lorenz

I didn't know they started broadcasting in HDTV that early.

I'll try to email Columbia Tristar and ask them whether the boxsets will be in widescreen from season two on.

I've watched all the new episodes from season six in widescreen and there's mostly dead space in the non-fullscreen areas of the picture - so it wouldn't be a complete disaster if they are released in fullscreen - but if it was aired in widescreen it should be released in widescreen.

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

5. Sven Lorenz

Yes, but in a few years most people will have 16:9 sets - I am currently looking for an new set and about 2/3 of the sets in most shops are 16:9.
    So if there is an existing 16:9 transfer then they should use it.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I bet my best pair of socks that Columbia never puts out that show in widescreen. Ever since an HDTV version has been available, it has been shown simultaneously in both 4x3 and 16x9, right? If that's the case, then I expect Columbia to continue to cater to what they will percieve as "the bigger market". If they do this with films that aren't in OAR, then why not use the "lowest common denominator" decision with TV shows, too?

7. john mcfadden

john mcfadden Stunt Coordinator

Dont count on it ...If they can muck up Married with Childern ...Why stop there ??

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Being filmed in widescreen doesn't necessairly mean it was meant to be shown that way though. See Dawson's Creek, Buffy and Malcolm for examples of this.

9. KimK

KimK Stunt Coordinator

I have a feeling that a R2-UK release of this would be widescreen if ever available. I'm still getting the R1 season 1 though.