What's new

King of Hearts Subtitles Question (1 Viewer)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I recently found out that King of Hearts (Le Roi de Coeur - 1966) was out on DVD and was wondering how good the disc is. I haven't been able to find any reviews (here or on the web). It looks like it's non-anamorphic, which I can live with, but I'm curious about the subtitles. Since my player will not scale non-anamorphic discs, I have to use the TheaterWide 2 zoom mode on my 16x9 Toshiba. Does anyone know if this really is non-anamorphic? And, if so, will the subtitles be cut off when I zoom in?

Thanks for the help.

Larry McQuaide

Auditioning
I belive that 2 line subs are in the matte. One line in the picture and one in the matte. I'll check later but i'm pretty sure.

Oh and it is not 16x9

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Larry, thanks for the info. If it's 2.35:1 and only one line is in the black bar, then I'll probably be okay.

By the way, how's the picture? Is it at least okay?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
I'm resurrecting this old thread since I finally got a chance to watch this.

In addition to being non-anamorphic, the subtitles were not all contained in the 16:9 area of the picture. This caused the subtitles to be cutoff when I selected Theaterwide 2 on my Toshiba WS set (this is the mode for non-anamorphic widescreen that simply zooms in).

Happily, I remembered that my set allows me to move the image around when zoomed in (I had never used this before). Since this film is 2.35:1, I scrolled it up to the top of the screen and was able to see the subs.

For anyone interested in this disc, the transfer was quite watchable even though it isn't anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks