What's new

King Kong - The Original (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There's another thread asking for favorite films still wanted on blu. I was gratified to see the original King Kong there. However, considering the age of this film, will it benefit from HD? I know old films can look great in HD (Day the Earth Stood Still) but this film is much older. So waddya think?

Perhaps HD will reveal the artifice behind the magic?

BTW, the special edition DVD of this film and of Forbidden Planet are my two favorite special packaging of DVDs. The Tins are fabulous.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Anything shot on film and prepared correctly will benefit from HD.

As far as revealing the artifice behind the magic, the stop motion wizardry in Kong has always been rather "there" for people to notice its artifice, such as the strange changing of Kong's hair, but that's part of what makes it so great.

Judging what we can by the 2005 DVD, the eventual Blu-ray release of King Kong will look great, and it has been listed on some "coming soon" advertisements from Warner, so it is being prepared.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner has done a lot of work with "King Kong" film elements and I think it would look great on Blu-ray.

Crawdaddy

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

Anything shot on film and prepared correctly will benefit from HD.
Unless there are reviews saying it sucks, KK will be a buy it now for me, when it comes out. I hope they keep all the extras from the DVD and add some more. They need to get a film historian to do a commentary.

Mark_TB

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Now the reporting here is a bit shoddy, so some things are unclear. But it sounds like a man working on the renovation of an old movie theater found a reel from a 1933 print of King Kong wedged behind a wall in one of the projection rooms.

The article is dated 18 October, so I'm surprised this is being treated as "breaking news." You'd think we would have had some reports from the screening last month. Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of the whole story, but I'd love it to be true.

- Mark

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Mark_TB

Now the reporting here is a bit shoddy, so some things are unclear. But it sounds like a man working on the renovation of an old movie theater found a reel from a 1933 print of King Kong wedged behind a wall in one of the projection rooms.

The article is dated 18 October, so I'm surprised this is being treated as "breaking news." You'd think we would have had some reports from the screening last month. Frankly, I'm a little skeptical of the whole story, but I'd love it to be true.

[/QUOTE]

And anyway, it's just a print. At this point, only the miraculous resurrection of the original camera negative, or an original fine-grain master struck from it, would be a big deal, no?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Paul Penna

[/QUOTE]

And anyway, it's just a print. At this point, only the miraculous resurrection of the original camera negative, or an original fine-grain master struck from it, would be a big deal, no?

I think this was pretty well dissected on another thread back in October. It was summed up that if this was not the Spider Pit sequence then there is nothing new found. And in being a name dropper, I believe RAH sounded in on it also with a few comments. I believe the thread was KING KONG - Blu-Ray.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ahollis

I think this was pretty well dissected on another thread back in October. It was summed up that if this was not the Spider Pit sequence then there is nothing new found. And in being a name dropper, I believe RAH sounded in on it also with a few comments. I believe the thread was KING KONG - Blu-Ray.

[/QUOTE]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ahollis

Sorry, I searched for a thread about this before I posted it but couldn't find one. Thanks for the clarification.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Sorry, I searched for a thread about this before I posted it but couldn't find one. Thanks for the clarification.[/QUOTE]

Not trying to lecture. I was just trying to get you to a place where there was more information on the find. Sorry if I came over crabby, I really am not. It thread was RAH's on the King Kong Blu-ray (A few words on ... King Kong in Blu-ray). For some reason my post on this thread are messed up and I can not edit nor paste the link.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/304178/a-few-words-about-king-kong-in-blu-ray/30#post_3741730

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks