What's new

King Kong on Laserdisc (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Tino

I know that Ray Harryhausen was not involved with King Kong, and I did not know about his commentary on the LD of Jason and the Argonauts. So why is it not on the DVD then.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I know that Ray Harryhausen was not involved with King Kong, and I did not know about his commentary on the LD of Jason and the Argonauts. So why is it not on the DVD then.
Because it was done for Criterion. To date, Criterion has only licensed one commentary track to another studio for use on DVD (Monty Python and the Holy Grail).
DJ

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info. It seems that LD are becoming fashionable again due to different versions coming out on DVD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BTW, Ray Harryhausen was NOT involved in King Kong, IIRC. He was however, I believe Willis O'Brien's apprentice on Mighty Joe Young.
IIRC, on the documentary, The Harryhausen Chronicles, that is being included on the DVD releases of his films, he talks about seeing King Kong as a child and what a transforming event it was for him.

DanHaya

Second Unit

That's cool! Does he have any of the models of Kong himself? I've never seen any pictures of them except in that documentary. I heard that there were about a half dozen Kong models made for filming. Apparently, O'Brien used rabbit fur on them, and that it either rotted away or was removed for use on other models afterward. But I've never seen any photos of the models in their original condition. Has anyone?

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
That's cool! Does he have any of the models of Kong himself? I've never seen any pictures of them except in that documentary. I heard that there were about a half dozen Kong models made for filming. Apparently, O'Brien used rabbit fur on them, and that it either rotted away or was removed for use on other models afterward. But I've never seen any photos of the models in their original condition. Has anyone?
Unfortunately, as noted in the Los Angeles Times last week, Forrest J. Ackerman is in the process of moving and disassembling his collection. Most will be sold or auctioned off to pay legal fees in his continuous lawsuits against a Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine editor who defrauded him...

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Dan Asked:

I doubt he will be selling the best stuff, such as the Kong
models. Most of the stuff I've seen for sale are some of the lesser pieces of his collection.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I doubt he will be selling the best stuff, such as the Kong models. Most of the stuff I've seen for sale are some of the lesser pieces of his collection.
I believe he sold off the bulk of the best stuff privately a few years ago after the city of LA turned down his offer to donate it to a museum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks