King Kong on Criterion

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Drake, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    Take this for what it's worth but a gentleman who's a former employee of American Movie Classics and has recently hooked up with the Voyager Company wrote this on the Charlie Chan message board:
    Life After AMC: THE VOYAGER COMPANY
    Posted By: Martin Kitrosser
    Date: Saturday, 4 January 2003, at 10:27 p.m.
    I am sorry that I haven't written recently but I am very busy with my new job. No it is not at another television network. I now work for THE VOYAGER COMPANY which produces DVD's under "THE CRITERION COLLECTION".At Voyager, You are assigned a certain movie title and it is your responsibility to find the best print, arrange audio commentaries and all of the extras. Anyways, My project is going to be:"THE DEFINITIVE KING KONG:70TH ANNIVERSARY".Voyager has an arrangement withAOL TIME WARNER to produce it. It will be a 3 DVD Set with loads of extras including recently found audio of the lost spider pit scene which we will recreate with storyboards.It is being set for a Fall 2003 release. Wish me luck with this project. Thanks again for all the good words everyone has given me. I hope everyone has a great New Year
    Here is the link to the article: Charlie Chan message board
    Good news if true.

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    [​IMG]

3. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I hope and I'm all but sure they'll get the 95 year old Fay Wray to participate!!

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Around 1963 I obtained a hardcover book of King Kong. On the endplates were scenes from the movie. This novelization was the first time I had been aware of the "Spider Scene."
    It was memorably horrific to read. Only years later did I learn that it had been filmed. What a loss.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Wow. 2 discs would have been fine, but 3???
    I'll be right back...my back pocket just caught on fire. [​IMG]
    Also, I'm surprised WB is doing a "co-productiion" with Criterion. I think The Two Towers: Extended Edition has some competition. [​IMG]

6. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Could this really be a Criterion release? Or might WB have contracted out Voyager to gather materials for them assuming they didnt want to devote their own DVD producers to the task.

If it is a Criterion release I hope this guy doesn't quickly get canned at his new job. We ALL know how secretive Criterion can be with their future release schedule.

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

A fall release sounds pretty ambitious for such a major project that's just getting underway, especially if that includes looking for the best print.

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Since King Kong was one of Criterion's first SEs, they've got some good stuff

So buy working with them, Warner gets a ton of great materials already made (budget saver) great know-how and a name film fans trust

I don't see a downside here.

9. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

Either this person who works for Voyager is extraordinarily green or he's trying to pull a hoax....or BOTH!

There's NO way there is any truth to this.

Warner has long made it known that a special edition of KONG will be coming from them when restoration/remastering efforts are completed to their satisfaction. I'm certain the results will be worth waiting for, as they proved with CITIZEN KANE, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN and many others recently.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

I was under the impression that Voyager no longer had anything to do with Criterion. Indeed I seem to recall hearing that the entire company had pretty much imploded after a series of financial difficulties (the only vestige of Voyager on the Web appears to be a CD-ROM sales site operated by an outfit called Learn Technologies). I want this to be true but I'm very skeptical.

12. Roger Rollins

Jean-Michel is right. Voyager and Criterion are no longer corporate partners. This just further supports that the original posting is a hoax.

13. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

I was about to post that (Voyager != Criterion) anymore, but since said information has already been revealed, this very post is redundant and, in fact, you are not reading it anymore.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm in agreement with Roger about this possibly being a hoax. It's been rumored for quite awhile that Warner had planned to released this title on dvd in 2003, and that LDI was involved with this future dvd release.

Crawdaddy

15. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

All I have to say is :ITS ABOUT TIME!!!

16. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I also was certain that Voyager and Criterion were no more. Although Criterion could certainly bring some nice supplements to the ballgame here, it probably is all a hoax.

Either way, I'm sure we'll see a great release of King Kong sometime this year from someone!

17. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I read this as being Warner licencing some (all) of the material off the Criterion release.

I don't see why not - Citizen Kane included a second disc with non-Warner originated content.

18. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Well, it's great news if Criterion and Warner are beginning to team up and it would make sense - I can't think of two other companies who treat their vault classics so well, and with Warner now controlling a large chunk of the MGM and RKO library too, they'll need all the help they can get!

Of course, if this is true, it could pave the way for The Magnificent Ambersons, but I dare not dream that far.

19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

20. Roger Rollins

It's still a big lie, folks! I know Bill Hunt uses a disclaimer for his RUMOR MILL, but there are more holes to this story than in a piece of swiss cheese. He should know better than to perpetuate such utter horsesh*t.