King Kong (1976) -no nudity?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ScottR, Jan 19, 2006.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Didn't the original theatrical cut of Kong have a brief topless shot of Jessica Lange? I remember seeing and hearing a lot about it at the time but it is no longer there.

2. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

It was never there (in the film). It was,oddly enough, on the cover of Time (or was it Newsweek?) in a series of shots of Kong playing with his tiny little Jessica doll.

3. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

This shot maybe?

4. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Gentlemen, since we are discussing the film itself do so here in the Movies section. Moved from Software. Thanks. JB

6. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

There is a decent media gallery at Kingdom Kong. You might want to browse that sight if you're looking for any more covers/pictures.

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

There was no nudity for Jessica Lange in King Kong, at least in the theatrical cut and I doubt any was ever intended as it was aimed at the "PG" market.
    If your main point of interest is seeing Jessica Lange topless, may I suggest you rent Titus.

8. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Joe:C has the photo, where ever it's from it was presented on a page of 20 or 30 photos from that scene and in them was that one. But, they were promotional (and how) stills and not in the flick.
    Kong aside, for Jessica nudity and an interesting film I suggest Frances (1982).

9. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

The monkey was nekked too.[​IMG]

10. BenjaminG

BenjaminG Stunt Coordinator

My workmate assured me that in the Australian theatrical release of King Kong '76 the topless scene was intact, as he was quite young at the time and took notice of such things :)

I never believed him so I decided to do some research.

As it turns out, in some European prints and evidently Australian prints also, the scene was indeed there. Do a bit of googling and there is quite a bit of discussion about it.

11. Michael Martin

Michael Martin Screenwriter

I just watched the 1976 version on DVD, and I'm pretty sure that brief glimpse of nudity IS in the film. Whether it was in the theatrical release or no, I can't recall - I was 8 when it came out, and at that age was far more interested in the big gorilla than Jessica's breasts.
    That changed within a couple of years, though. [​IMG]

12. John Burton

John Burton Stunt Coordinator

John
    In smell a "special edition" uncut King Kong coming late 2006 on DVD and HD DVD and blu-ray.

13. Matthew Marino

Matthew Marino Stunt Coordinator

That shot has been there every time I've seen it. Here are two shots I took from the older DVD (with the drawn cover).
    [​IMG]

14. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Chock me up as another 11 year old (at the time) who distinctly remembers that brief glimpse. Matter of fact, it is all I remember of that film.

15. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I went to see it for my 9th B-Day. I absolutely remember Jessica's breasts. It may also be the only thing I remember from the film... [​IMG]

16. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I was IN the film. Fortunately, I had my clothes on.
    [​IMG]
    The shot shown upthread has always been in the film -- briefly, Jessica shows her left breast and nipple (which seems to have much makeup on it, since it hardly registers).

17. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Dee, does it seem like a long time ago when you guys filmed those scenes?

18. Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers Supporting Actor

Everybody talks about the brief toplessness, but what I noticed in the theater in 1976 was the quick view of her seemingly naked buns (coulda been wearing a thong but I didn't know what thongs were back then)when what she's wearing rides up on her when she's dropped in the water.

19. dougfromeagan

dougfromeagan Auditioning

BULL-CR*P!!! Their sure was nudity in King Kong 1976! That was the whole point! I remember the Time issue well. I was about in the 3rd grade and visiting relatives who got the magazine regularly. I was super stoked about King Kong and read the issue over and over, and their were publicity stills, three of them consecutively showing Kong's finger pulling down her top revealing Jessica's fantastic left booby. The caption below the pics had Jessica saying something about how they had to practice the scene over and over and that she got to know the guys who ran the monkey hand really well. Went to the movie and saw the boobie. When it came out on TV, they edited that part out.
    Also, in the 70's boobies on TV was not the big deal it is today. Strange as that sounds, Alex Halley's Roots had TONS of neked boobies and no one said boo. Also I remember coming home and watching on ABC, what might have been the first behind the scenes shoot of Sports Illustrated (I think) sexy photo shoot. At one point - OUT CAME THE BOOBIES! LOL
    P.S. Bobbie Joe and the Outlaw, with Wonder Woman's Lynda Carter was also re-edited to cut out her MASSIVE BOOBIES scene.
    And that's da truth, RUTH!! :D