What's new

Pre-Order King Kong (1933) (Warner Archive Collection) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I bought my copy from Amazon, and it's available to me to stream free via Prime, so the purchase must have included free access to the stream.

Thanks for confirming.

Good to know almost 9 years after I purchased the blu ray.

Another thing is even though Amazon Prime is linked with Movies Anywhere, King Kong (1933) doesn't appear as purchased on MA , iTunes, or VUDU.

Last edited:

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for confirming.

Another thing is even though Amazon Prime is linked with Movies Anywhere, King Kong (1933) doesn't appear as purchased on MA , iTunes, or VUDU.
Now that is weird! Since your Amazon Prime is linked to Movies Anywhere, King Kong should show up in all your other MA-linked accounts. Maybe it would if you refresh your MA linked accounts.

Rick

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks for confirming.

Even though MA indicates Warner Brothers is a participant, *none* of my Warner titles "purchased" on Amazon are available on that platform (yes, the accounts are linked). All of those titles I own via Amazon are WA titles I obtained using those free "digital credits" for using slow shipping. I doubt that has anything to do with it as all other qualifying titles purchased with those funds *do* show up.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dan, you have a rare window of opportunity here to pick up the few copies available at Walmart Riverside, and sell them on Amazon or eBay (currently listing on Amazon at $119.92).

Of course, you’ll need to do this rather urgently before the new crop of releases kicks in in September, otherwise your offerings will be in direct competition with those money grabbers WAC, who’ll no doubt list theirs at an outrageous $17.99 by release date.

All meant in good spirit.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Hi.

They are gone now.
I do have the movie on LaserDisc.
And Blu-Ray DVD.
No worries, Dan.

While the pricing info I shared was factual, I hope you realised I was only kidding about taking the opportunity to buy those copies out and sell at exorbitant prices.

I don’t like opportunistic price gouging in the least.

I also have the first release Blu ray and treasure it. It’s most definitely not for resale.

As to your earlier post, I understand the skepticism that comes with the same product being repackaged in a multitude of ways to sell over and over again to the same folks. It’s a Wonderful Life - a great favourite of mine - comes to mind. However, I don’t believe that applies to the King Kong re-release.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
No worries, Dan.

While the pricing info I shared was factual, I hope you realised I was only kidding about taking the opportunity to buy those copies out and sell at exorbitant prices.

I don’t like opportunistic price gouging in the least.

I also have the first release Blu ray and treasure it. It’s most definitely not for resale.
I did think you were kidding. And like you. I can't stand the price gouging. I did pick up the first release
Blu-ray. Now if I can just find where she put it? It's in the TV room someplace I think?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did think you were kidding. And like you. I can't stand the price gouging. I did pick up the first release
Blu-ray. Now if I can just find where she put it? It's in the TV room someplace I think?

I always thought those price gougers were just deluding themselves with their high prices. However, they can help a person get more money for an item. I remember selling a classical SACD for much more than I paid for it. I think it was around $12.98 new. I didn't particularly care for the recording and decided to sell it. Because it was out of print, sellers were asking over $100 on ebay. I put mine up for around $40 and it sold immediately. Those ridiculous prices made my price look reasonable.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Why not give us 4k or something new?

(1) The elements aren't good enough for 4K.

(2) The previous editions are perfectly good already. This is just a new pressing under the WAC banner.

(3) It's aimed at people who missed getting the previous edition, not for people that have it to upgrade.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The story is that the original negative was lost and they just use a compilation of the best prints they can find. I believe they mostly used a nice British print that was the uncut original version. I'm not sure if the original negative just wore out and fell apart or if it was lost or stolen. Let's hope somehow they can keep finding better prints a generation closer or a lavender print or fine-grain print.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Got mine at Walmart years back.
$.20.00 clams. B/R disc.
And they are trying to sell it online now.
$131.00 Your dreaming.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
The story is that the original negative was lost and they just use a compilation of the best prints they can find. I believe they mostly used a nice British print that was the uncut original version. I'm not sure if the original negative just wore out and fell apart or if it was lost or stolen. Let's hope somehow they can keep finding better prints a generation closer or a lavender print or fine-grain print.
The more popular the movie, the more likely the negative is to be in terrible shape and King Kong is one of the biggest films of all time. I was just thrilled to see all the pre-code stuff. There's some stuff I still find genuinely creepy on the island.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
On this point, honestly, the Blu-ray barely has much extra detail over the older DVD edition. Unfortunately, pristine elements for the movie just no longer exist.
But not only that (in terms of it not being ready for 4K) is that there are way too many opticals used in the film to really make it worth a 4K release.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
But not only that (in terms of it not being ready for 4K) is that there are way too many opticals used in the film to really make it worth a 4K release.
And yet I would still snap up a 4K version in a second!;)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
On this point, honestly, the Blu-ray barely has much extra detail over the older DVD edition. Unfortunately, pristine elements for the movie just no longer exist.
And its likely they never existed in the first place. King Kong's covered in fog, opticals, dupes, and archaic filmmaking technology. At best it was probably 1K even back in 1932.

But HEY! If Citizen Kane can come out on UHD for no decent reason other than to appease you people...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks