King Kong (1933) Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
So the big mystery is, what the hell happened to Kong? /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif
And where is the Spider Pit Sequence? Wouldn't that be a find if it turned up in archive where it had been lost?

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Does anyone else besides me think Fay Wray is a absolute babe in this film? And I can't believe she gets away with those revealing costumes and she obviously never wears a bra! (Is this too racy for this website?)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnerbro
Does anyone else besides me think Fay Wray is a absolute babe in this film? And I can't believe she gets away with those revealing costumes and she obviously never wears a bra! (Is this too racy for this website?)
Ms. Wray would now being going on 103, but passed away in 2004. I had the pleasure of spending a bit of time with her when she was in her early '90s, and as far as I know she was most likely wearing a bra.

RAH

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Somewhere in the extras for PJ's KK it is mentioned that she was offered a cameo in the new film but she declined. That would have been a very nice moment for the film. Perhaps she was too frail to do it or simply thought one Kong film is enough for any girl. After all, King Kong changed the industry as few films have.

Robert you should feel free to write further about your meeting with Fay, unless it's of a private nature.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
Somewhere in the extras for PJ's KK it is mentioned that she was offered a cameo in the new film but she declined. That would have been a very nice moment for the film. Perhaps she was too frail to do it or simply thought one Kong film is enough for any girl. After all, King Kong changed the industry as few films have.
Would have been a wonderful moment on film. Had she accepted, it still could not have occurred, as she passed a month before the start of production.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Would have been a wonderful moment on film. Had she accepted, it still could not have occurred, as she passed a month before the start of production.

That adds a layer of poingnance to the "cameo" she did get in the dialogue:

Preston: You gotta get a girl who will fit in Maureen's costumes.

Denham: Fay's a size four.

Preston: Yes, she is. But she is doing a picture with RKO.

Denham: Cooper, huh? I might have known.

This is also, of course, a nice call back to the actual dialogue in the 1933 film where Denham looks Ann up and down and announces that she'll fit into the wardrobe they have aboard ship.

Regards,

Joe

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Quote:
My ideal ending for PJ's KK would have Fay stepping out of the crowd and speaking to Denham just after he's proclaimed "Twas Beauty killed the beast." She would say "It wasn't Beauty, you idiot, it was you!" Then she'd give a hearty slap in the face.

I know, probably over the top, but I've always believed (in either version of the movie) that man's exploitation of nature is what really killed Kong. It probably wasn't intended in the original giving the time, but it would be an appropriate message today.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Then she'd give a hearty slap in the face.

Close, but no cigar. The classic little old lady move in 1933 would have been a kick in the shins. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif Otherwise, I like it! /img/vbsmilies/htf/banana.gif

(Somehow this thread just called out for the dancing banana.)

Regards,

Joe

John_S

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by warnerbro
I'll add my vote-- she is hot in this!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
TCM HD showed it last night, as did TCM digital (480i). My HD cable box upscales the 480i to 1080i.

I toggled back and forth and the HD showed grain and a lot of detail in that grain. The upscaled picture looked
as though it was DNRed. Maybe the limitations of DVD? Quite a bit of the detail in the grain was missing.

I didn't watch it because I'm going to wait until Sept? when it comes out on BD, so I can watch it in my new HT on a 110 inch screen.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Unless something has changed, TCM-HD is just an upconversion of TCM-SD. They are not airing any actual HD content yet,

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Andy_G
Unless something has changed, TCM-HD is just an upconversion of TCM-SD. They are not airing any actual HD content yet,
They do air true HD content for some titles. You can usually tell due to lack of the windowboxing that is evident on the upconversions, although that is more of a guideline than a rule.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
Quote:
Ms. Wray would now being going on 103, but passed away in 2004. I had the pleasure of spending a bit of time with her when she was in her early '90s, and as far as I know she was most likely wearing a bra.

RAH
/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif Robert, that's the second funniest thing you've ever written!
Doug

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden /forum/thread/300127/king-kong-1933-blu-ray/30#post_3711770

They do air true HD content for some titles. You can usually tell due to lack of the windowboxing that is evident on the upconversions, although that is more of a guideline than a rule.

With respect, I think you're wrong about this. I have checked periodically, and never seen them broadcast HD. Ever.

Do you have some evidence to the contrary?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Originally Posted by Andy_G
With respect, I think you're wrong about this. I have checked periodically, and never seen them broadcast HD. Ever Do you have some evidence to the contrary?
I don't know about "evidence", but there were certain recent broadcasts that looked like actual HD to me. I am now racking my brain to remember. "A Star is Born" may have been one of them.

Regards,

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I've read elsewhere that TCM doesn't yet have the internal infrastructure to transmit HD. Their HD channel is at this point little more than a flag in the ground. That comports with my experience as a viewer.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I just got TCM and TCM HD (new satellite system), and can definitely say that TCM HD is just very good upconversion. I PVR'd Soylent Green as a test and it was definitely an upconverted SD master. The other titles I've viewed so far are also upconversions. When TCM is finally enabled to broadcast in HD, I'm sure the results will be breathtaking.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H
I just got TCM and TCM HD (new satellite system), and can definitely say that TCM HD is just very good upconversion. I PVR'd Soylent Green as a test and it was definitely an upconverted SD master. The other titles I've viewed so far are also upconversions. When TCM is finally enabled to broadcast in HD, I'm sure the results will be breathtaking.
Which Satellite service, DTV or Dish? Do you find the upconverted TCM to be an improvement? over SD?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks