King Diamond and corn-rock

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Aug 24, 2001
    I just bought my first King Diamond CD, Abigail, on a whim. I remember hearing a friend's Diamond CD a while ago and being amused by it.

It's... interesting. Musically, it's lots of 80s power metal with fancy-schmancy guitar pyrotechnics. Diamond's voice is all over the place. Either he's extremely talented, totally out of his mind, or both.

It's a concept album, apparently about some dead baby who haunts a couple from beyond the grave. Ooh, scary.

It's very theatrical and very silly, but I like it. For some reason, I've been a little obsessed with corn-rock lately. I added CDs by Judas Priest, Rainbow, and DIO to my collection which already included Iron Maiden. I can't help liking the teenage theatrics of it all.

Just when I thought I had matured past all this stuff, I get sucked in even more.

Has anyone heard Iced Earth? I was reading about them on It seems that one of their albums is about the comic hero Spawn. I love Spawn. Is this album decent musically?

What about Helloween? That's a name that pops up every now and then. Anyone in the know?
  2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Oct 25, 2000
    King Diamond's "Them" is along the same lines. No real rhyming or flow to the lyrics, he's basically telling a ghost story to wailing guitars and over the top drumming. The band is made up of good musicians though. The song "Welcome Home" is probably the best cut on the album.

As for Helloween, "Keeper of the Seven Keys: Part 1" is the most popular and arguably their best work. The song "Halloween" is their signature epic, running about 11 minutes with varying riffs and instrumental parts. Other good tunes on this one are "Future World", "I'm Alive", "Twilight of the Gods" and "A Little Time".
  3. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

Mar 10, 2001
    Iced Earth is good stuff. I got into them back in '95 after seeing them mentioned on They can be a little cheesy at times, but its all good. The reviews on seem pretty spot-on. I'd start with Days of Purgatory and go forward and backward (in their catalog) from there.