King Crimson DVD: Eyes Wide Open

Discussion in 'Music' started by James Sievers, Nov 3, 2003.

1. James Sievers

James Sievers Auditioning

If you are a King Crimson fan, this is what you have been waiting for. The last Live DVD 'Deja Vrooom' was very good, but they have raised the bar again with their art and DVD features.

First it is 2 discs: Disc One is Live in Japan recorded in April 2003. I saw the group one month earlier at the Park West and this is pretty much the same show. Dolby 5.1 and 2.0 choices here and the video presentation is excellent. If you are familiar with the material, this is the group at it's best.
    Disc Two is Live from Shepherds Bush Empire in London, July 2000. Soundtrack only Dolby 2.0 here, but the show is a more intimate club setting and the group's first outing in a few years from a vacation.

There are supplemental material abound. The Disc 2 has an improv that is different every time you play it. How did they do that?

Yes, I am a FANatic of this music and have tickets for the group at the Park West this Saturday to see them. If you have not been exposed to the group, this is a good primer as they are at their best in a Live setting.

Five Damn Stars. Turn it up to 11.

Enjoy.

Jim Sievers

2. Michael St. Clair

I was going to buy it, but my understanding is the left and right channels are reversed (stereo and surround) so I'm waiting to see if they remedy this.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ah, another Crimhead. I just ordered this and was going to wait to hear it before starting a thread, so there ya go.

Needless to say I can't wait for it. Their music is simply stunning.

I anticipate their concert on the 18th even more. [​IMG]

4. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Get the DVD... and see em live, if you can.

They were glorious Sunday night in SF.

The records are love letters... the shows are hot dates.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Watched the first disc the other night, the 2003 concert. As expected, music and performance were mindblowing. I've listened to the songs Level Five and ConstrucKtion of Light in some form or another every day for the past week and they still thrill me.

What was surprising was the aggressive surround mix. There were moments where a guitar part was completely in the rear. This may bother some purists, but I like it. I already have like 20 versions of these pieces in stereo, so it's nice to have a different take on 'em.

6. Michael St. Clair

Any comments on the left/right reversal?

7. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Can't find a link to support this, but I read somewhere on the DGM site that the reversal was acknowledged, but was not likely to be corrected... seemingly the dvd was correct upon leaving DGM, but got reversed somehow in the mastering process.

Not a deal-breaker to me... I'll pick it up sooner or later... but no hurry; I've been fortunate to see this band several times in the last 3 years.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Michael St. Clair

So with the M/C, there is no balance that matches the screen at all? Even with an aggressive mix, if Trey is on the left I'd expect to hear Trey on the left a lot of the time.

10. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I know Tony Levin wasn't on the new record, but is he on the tour? One of my absolute favorite players...

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

12. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Tony Levin and Bill Bruford have not been involved with the band in at least 4 years. The current lineup is the band, in the studio, live, etc. Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelloto are a phenomenal rhythm section and as much as a I love Bruford and Levin, I'm glad the lineup is at it is, because no one else could make this music.

Tony Levin was touring with Peter Gabriel and is involved with a whole bunch of other projects, including his own band which is excellent.

Bill Bruford is leading his now acoustic English jazz band Earthworks. I think they're ending their tour. They also have a live DVD which is highly recommended.

13. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Trey Gunn just recently announced his departure from King Crimson: http://www.treygunn.com/word/letter.html

There is considerable speculation that Tony Levin will re-join the band, but I suspect that there will be (yet another) long hiatus for Crim before they're heard from again.

Which is the way it's always been...

14. Mike-W

Mike-W Extra

I just read over on Tony Levin's web site that he is indeed going back in to "active duty" as he calls it with King Crimson. Yeah!

15. David Yevin

David Yevin Agent

can someone confirm the video aspect for me?
    there is limited info online, but i have read both 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 anamorphic.

thanks

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

17. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

ive been actively collecting all the remastered 30th Anniversary KC CDs with the 'paper LP sleeves' from the UK.

Anyone know if RF will cave in and finish the list with the same sort of repro LP edition for

A YOUNG PERSONS GUIDE TO KC? (1972)

although bits of it have been released elsewhere, its never stopped bob from rereleasing something again!