What's new

King Conan Dead! (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Moe Maishlish wrote (post #75):
Actually, I think the original literary character was intended by Robert E. Howard to be a role model for the idealized American boy of the 20s and 30s, his target audience. That was in the days of bluster and bravado, boys' dime-store "adventure novels", idealized prehistoric "Aryans" (among whom Conan's fabled "Cimmerians" were counted), and the like. Of course, that's not the kind of "role model" you or others have in mind when you use the term today, but "political correctness", so-called, has its fashions.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Conan in the books was SMART. He used his head to get out of situations as much as his strength and fighting skills. Milius' Conan was a total travesty in this respect, so I don't know really hold him in any high regard with respect to his understanding of the Conan character. Frankly, King Conan sounds like it's going to be as cheeseball as his original film, and that's not a good thing IMO.

-Dennis

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Conan in the books was SMART. He used his head to get out of situations as much as his strength and fighting skills. Milius' Conan was a total travesty in this respect, so I don't know really hold him in any high regard with respect to his understanding of the Conan character. Frankly, King Conan sounds like it's going to be as cheeseball as his original film, and that's not a good thing IMO.
I totally agree. About the only thing I really liked about the first movie was the musical score, but as far as capturing Conan and REH's writing, well, Milius and Arnold were certainly creating some kind of barbarian character but it wasn't Conan.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
And I LOVE that musical score, one of the best ever, IMO. I also enjoyed the film on a stylistic level, but it never really seemed like I was watching "Conan". As a "barbarian flick" it's quite good though! :D
-Dennis

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I agree that I would like to see a more fathful adaption, but Conan was better than most comic to movies.

Id take Milius Conan over Burton Batman anyday.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I think they should get Dustin Hoffman to play the role, kind of focus on the "smarter" Conan, instead of the big dumb brute take.

John Doran

Screenwriter
or perhaps gary coleman, and focus on the unimposing, midget nubian conan instead of the tall, powerful middle-eastern warrior conan.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
IGN FilmForce Exclusive: The Wachowskis Leave Conan
January 20, 2004 - IGN FilmForce has learned from trusted sources that Larry and Andy Wachowski have ankled King Conan: Crown of Iron, the third movie featuring Robert E. Howard's barbarian hero. The Wachowski brothers were to have produced King Conan with John Milius onboard to write and direct it. Obviously, star Arnold Schwarzenegger is unavailable for the next few years now that he is governor of California.
Sources advised IGN FilmForce that the Wachowskis – who had reportedly clashed with Milius over the tone and direction of the film – left King Conan of their own volition. The project had remained stalled in development hell while the Wachowskis completed their Matrix trilogy.
The future of King Conan is now up in the air. Whether Warner Brothers will continue to develop it or if they will allow their option to lapse instead remains to be seen. No word yet on who might replace the Wachowskis as producer should Warners choose to stick with Conan.
What is certain is that Milius remains committed to the pic. He is said to be happy with the two different drafts of the screenplay that he penned during the Wachowskis' tenure.
The filmmaker is also said to be unconcerned about Schwarzenegger's availability. For Milius, the key to the project is said to have always been the character of Conan and not the actor portraying him.
Look to IGN FilmForce for more news on King Conan as it happens!

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
As much as the original movie was different than the acual Howard character, no other person would fit right than Schwarzenegger. And at his age now, he is perfect for a King Conan.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I have a hard time envisioning anyone other than Arnold as King Conan. Maybe it's just that I can't htink of anyone of the top of my head who would work.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I enjoyed the movies, but they really don't reflect the character from the books. If they made a new series of Conan films FAITHFUL to the books (give him black hair for god's sake) with a smart, badass Conan I would love that and would not miss Shwarzenegger (or his accent).

As to who to play him? I'm sure they can dig up some buff guy who can act at least as well as Arny, com'on. Hell, The Rock would work if they let him be really badass...

- Jack

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Dolph Lundgren?
Ummmm no, his Masters of the Universe was horrible.

Which ironically, Master of the Universe toys were supposed to be Conan the Barbarian movie toys untill the movie was seen as too violent (as it should be, he's Conan by Crom!)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

Hell, yeah! Bring him out of retirement.

Dolph is possibly the most under-used action actor of our day. It's a shame. I still would have killed to see him as Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader.

Masters of the Universe's faults were not his. He was an awesome He-Man, and could be a great Conan.

p.s. He was a great Punisher too, even though it was a low-budget B-movie.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Most people will probably be like "Conan? Who's that?" anyway.

Remember the success of that supposed prequel to Conan, "Kull The Conquerer" with Kevin Sorbo?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks