What's new

Kinda surprising....Linda Ronstadt, not Van Halen, caused near-riot at concert (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I'll be keeping an eye on the wire services for the dispatch:D

Then again, no matter how bad that one may stink, watching Halle Berry walkin' around on all fours in a leather cat suit surely counts for something.

Back on point, I find that when I want to be sure to attend a show free from political discourse, I just look to see where Ted Nugent is playing:D

BGL

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Every report I've heard and read said she's done this at all her performances this tour. Her past is another key to her position.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I have no problem with that. I think it is sad how intolerant people are to differing opinions. This whole situation is reminding me more and more of the 60s and the Vietnam War.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Sadly, I think if she were spouting rhetoric from the other side, a lot of people here would be up in arms about it.

I have no problem with an artist presenting their beliefs in a song. If I pay to go hear Steve Earle, I expect it. If I'm paying to hear Journey, I don't. They have no track record for it. I didn't pay to hear you tell me how to vote. I paid to hear you sing.

To each his own, I guess.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Are you saying that those of us who indicated no problem with Ronstadt's statements would change our minds if she went the other way politically? I think you're wrong. Can't speak for the others, but if she - or anyone else - started spewing conservative concepts, I'd still defend her right to do so. She can say whatever she wants - I don't care about the content, but I believe in her right to express herself in that forum.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

I would still be offended as an audience member regardless of politics. It would depend on tone and how aggressive she was...the reports I am reading paint a picture of Linda being very aggressive and their being some history with the hotel.

I have no problem with people expressing their views but some venues are not appropriate regardless of those views.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
So far there are two posts on this subject denouncing the story as bs to the riot part....I've read several news accounts that verify her voicing support of Moore..but the Aladdin story seems to be as the above stated.....made out to be something it isn't.

One from someone who was there and another, a news story.

If you think about it, if your a country fan depending on the artist of course, your bombared by it. From the right side of course...(Dixie Chicks being the exception.)

It's not a new thing that artists will throw support to one side of the ring or the other, I just take it with a grain of salt.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
There's alot of things in this world worth being offended about, but for me what some singer mumbled into a microphone isn't one of them. This discussion orbits around the apparently falling level of civility here in our country and elsewhere too.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Yup yup--depending on the artist. Big country fan here, especially my man and fellow Texan George Strait (honored at the George H.W. Bush White House), Vince Gill and Randy Travis.

I've been diggin' Toby Keith since 1993's "Should've Been A Cowboy." Here's a guy who--having cut past personal faves such as "Who's That Man" and "You Shouldn't Kiss Me Like This"--has no "track record" of either "spouting [his political] . . . ideas around" or writing or performing a song like "Courtesy Of the Red, White and Blue (The Ugly American)" (much less getting into public spats with Natalie Maines or Peter Jennings).

But I certainly still crank "I Love This Bar," "Who's Your Daddy?," "I Wanna Talk About Me," "How Do You Like Me Now?!" and many of his other songs and will continue to buy his CDs (Shock'n Y'All SACD on the way!) and see him live.

I guess part of my point herein is about tolerance (even though I have issues with that word), civility (good word choice, Rachael) and the primacy of my relationship with the music. The what sounds like significant issues not related to Moore going on between Linda and Aladdin management aside, by most if not all accounts, Linda was wrapping up a concert showcasing a variety of her music. If some people were so distracted from that music which had preceded a brief politically-tinged song dedication (she did not "tell [people] . . . how to vote") at the end of a concert, I tend to question how much of a fan of the music those people are to then be demanding their money back.

I similarly shook my head at some Metallica fans trashing their CDs during the heat of the Napster debate . . . but of course that's another thread.

Btw, I didn't care for Catwoman other than some camp appeal, but somehow I managed to eschew drunken, puerile Vegas behavior. :D

-p

Mike Brogan

Second Unit

That's kind of unfair. That would be like me saying that if if she were "sprouting rhetoric from the other side" than the incident would have never happened because those in the audience who didn't agree with her would have abstained from acting like a bunch of unruly morons.

I think what it comes down to is, no matter what happened, do you think it was an appropriate response to throw drinks around, rip up posters and act like a hooligan? I don't.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, maybe you missed it, but all that you posted didn't happen according to various news sources and a post from above from a member who was there.....

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
John, thanks...I guess I missed that.

Glad to hear that actually, it did seem little far-fetched to begin with. That being said, I still stand by what I wrote in the first paragraph, in that I thought it was unfair to make up hypothetical situations and posit how the "other side" would react.

So where did the erroneous information come from? You wouldn't think it that hard for journalists to actually, you know, fact check.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Big deal. If people are so sensitive that one political comment that is contrary to their own will get them up in arms, they might as well stay home. "Ohh, I was OFFENDED!" Bunch of crybabies... :)

/Mike

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Ronstadt has the right to spew political mumbo jumbo and the crowd has a right to walk out. Big deal. I doubt Ronstadt created any new Democrats with her comments, and I also doubt that she really needs the money she will undoubtedly lose from reduced ticket revenue and music sales. If performers were less affluent and more dependent on a paycheck, you'd surely hear less controversial political rhetoric in their work. Ronstadt can afford to alienate a portion of her audience, so she does. All the power to her.

TedT

Second Unit
It has to do with expectations. You pay money to see musician perform, not spout political rhetoric.

If I paid $50 to see Penn & Teller, I expect to see witty magic tricks. I don't expect nor want to see them play music.

If I pay money to see Linda Ronstadt, I expect to see "music". Not hear her political views.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Well said.

There has been so much propaganda from politicians recently, I can certainly understand people being even more upset than usual with Ronstadt.

Sidebar: She's really put on the pounds lately.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
After having heard every concievable kind of political talk and lyrics at rock, jazz, and kuntry concerts. I think it's silly to attack any particular singer, Ronstadt, included. I could care less about political content, I like it, even when I don't aggree with it. I dislike apathy far more. I think this incident was blow totally out of proportion by media outlets for supposed, presumed political gain. I think this is a case of nothin' being presented as somethin'.

I'm confident everybody listens to and likes music that has social and/or political commentary, period.

Spin, spin, spin, Spot spin.... See Spot Spin. Spot spinned till he got dizzy. ...then Spot saw Tony riding his pony. ;)

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator

Agreed!

As to the weight thing with Ronstadt.....taken with how it was posted in relation to the topic, it looks like a typical redirect used in certian "fair and balanced" news reporting we see as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks