Kind of a weird question about snappers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clint B, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Clint B

Clint B Second Unit

Hi. I've gotten a copy of Shawshank Redemption, and I love the film. However, the spindle is almost completely broken, and I don't want my DVD to get scratched. I know that it's in a snapper, so my question is this: would it be possible for me to cut the front and back cover art from the snapper case and insert it into a "blank" Amaray case? I certainly don't want to ruin my DVD, but I'd also like to preserve the cover art. I know this is a weird question. Does anyone have any suggestions? By the way, I can't return the DVD, because the place that I got it from isn't in business anymore.
    Thanks!

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

If you search around you'll find a few threads about replacement cover art. http://www.dvdcoverart.com will be back up in a week or two and probably has a copy you can print out and place in a keepcase. If you want to get a replacement snapper you can contact the folks at http://www.ivyhill-wms.com/Ihwms2/home.html and they should take care or you. They usually send whatever snappers they have around and you'll have to change out the art from your current snapper to the plastic from the new one.
    Hope that helps.

3. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

You dont need to cut the art out of a snapper, it comes out of it quite easily.
    Looking at the back of the case, you will see that the black plastic overlaps the back cover at the very top and bottom about 1/8th of an inch. Stick your fingernails between the plastic and the carboard and gently pry the black plastic upward. It comes up quite easily. Do that to the top and the bottom, and once you do that, the paper coverart will just fall out. You might need to still trim it to fit it into another case, but if I were you, I'd order some blank snappers and just make a new one.
    As a side note, under the carboard is where Snappers keep their magnetic security tags. For those of you who like removing them, thats where they are! [​IMG]

4. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

What Brian and Mike said.

Also, the thick snapper cardboard is really too thick to slip into an Amaray (it will stretch the clear plastic and won't close correctly), and the dimensions are wrong (you will need to trim off text portions).

If you scan it in, you will need to downsize it to the correct size and trim it to get the right dimensions.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    In the meantime, take the snapper off this one and exchange it for another less worthy DVD's snapper. Takes only a few seconds.