Kim's Video (2023)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Kim's Video (2023)

Genre: Documentary

Director: David Redmon, Ashley Sabin

Cast: Isabel Gillies, Robert Greene, Eric Hynes, Lorry Kikta, Yong-man Kim, Ryan Krivoshey, Clayton Patterson, Alex Ross Perry, Sean Price Williams, Vittorio Sgarbi, Anna Thorngate

Release: 2023-01-19

Runtime: 88

Plot: For two decades, New York City cinephiles had access to a treasure trove of rare and esoteric films through Kim's Video. Originally run by the enigmatic Yongman Kim out of his dry-cleaning business, his franchise eventually amassed 55,000 rental titles. In 2008, facing a changing industry, Mr. Kim offered to give away his collection provided that it stay intact and be available to Kim's Video members. In a bid to revitalize tourism, the small Italian village of Salemi, Sicily became home to the archive. But after the initial publicity faded, so too did any sign of the collection. Enter filmmaker David Redmon, who credits Kim's Video for his film education. With the ghosts of cinema past leading his way, Redmon embarks on a seemingly quixotic quest to track down what happened to the legendary collection and to free it from purgatory.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I never really used Kim's to rent films but I frequented the store buying DVDs and Blu-rays, and the occasional CD. It was a regular stop for me when I was in New York. This documentary focuses on the VHS tapes they rented and when Kim's shut down, a sad day, the rental collection was shipped off to Italy. Seems Quentin Tarantino would have enjoyed getting his hands on it based upon his podcast.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks