What's new

Killers of the Flower Moon (2023)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Title: Killers of the Flower Moon (2021)

Genre: History, Crime, Drama, Mystery, Thriller

Director: Martin Scorsese

Cast: Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert De Niro

Release: 2021-12-31

Plot: The true crime story about multiple murders of members of the Osage Indian tribe in Oklahoma that occurred after they found oil on their lands.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I read in one of the trades that Apple, in funding this, is going to have it go through a traditional theatrical release first via a distribution deal with Paramount, and then it will live on their streaming service after that.

I have to wonder whether that was the deal point that made Scorsese go with Apple rather than Netflix again.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I read in one of the trades that Apple, in funding this, is going to have it go through a traditional theatrical release first via a distribution deal with Paramount, and then it will live on their streaming service after that.

I have to wonder whether that was the deal point that made Scorsese go with Apple rather than Netflix again.
What happens if there’s no chance of a theatrical release of substance until 2021 or 2022?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What happens if there’s no chance of a theatrical release of substance until 2021 or 2022?

Well, the film has to get made first, so I don't think that will be a problem. It's not like it was coming this year anyway. As far as I know, not a frame of this has actually been shot yet, so hopefully the theater industry is ready by the time the film is. If we are not able to safely to go back to the movie theaters by the time a movie that hasn't started yet is ready to come out, they would adjust the release plan. However, if there's not a vaccine by then, the world is in a much worse place anyway and I'm not sure the absence of a theatrical release would matter much at that point.

My point was that I think Apple offering a standard release versus Netflix offering the same limited release and streaming debut that Irishman got probably swayed Scorsese their way.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, the film has to get made first, so I don't think that will be a problem. It's not like it was coming this year anyway. As far as I know, not a frame of this has actually been shot yet, so hopefully the theater industry is ready by the time the film is. If we are not able to safely to go back to the movie theaters by the time a movie that hasn't started yet is ready to come out, they would adjust the release plan. However, if there's not a vaccine by then, the world is in a much worse place anyway and I'm not sure the absence of a theatrical release would matter much at that point.

My point was that I think Apple offering a standard release versus Netflix offering the same limited release and streaming debut that Irishman got probably swayed Scorsese their way.

Yes, last I heard on this was the budget had ballooned massively and Scorsese was working out funding for the picture. So, no shooting schedule yet. Scorsese at the time was saying he would welcome Netflix as a partner on this as he says he had a great experience working with them on The Irishman.

Paramount did want this picture, I believe mainly because Leo and De Niro were both in. However, I think Paramount could not handle the budget.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Paramount could not handle the budget.

Right. And now they still get to have it, sort of, because they will be distributing theatrically on Apple's behalf and their logo will be on it. So they get a seat at the table with it even though Apple is the primary funding source now. So that works out for them.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Scorsese indicted the budget for this would be as high if not higher than that of The Irishman...which ballooned due to the cost of de-aging the actors. I do not think they would need that for this picture unless De Niro will again play his character at several ages.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is this already in the can? Who is releasing this world-wide? Apple TV?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Is this already in the can? Who is releasing this world-wide? Apple TV?

Seems a joint venture with Paramount and Apple. It is in post as of now I believe with a potential fall of 2022 release date. I've seen it slotting into either October or November.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What I read is that Paramount is distributing theatrically first on behalf of Apple. Then it will live on Apple afterwards.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have not read this book but did catch a lot of the author interviews on the radio. What happened is appalling and likely only the tip of the iceberg. I hope Scorsese nails it.
I hope you're right as this case was briefly part of the storyline in the movie "The FBI Story" (1959) starring James Stewart. I'm glad somebody is finally going to do an entire film that really delves into what happened almost 100 years ago.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have read the book and thoroughly enjoyed the writing but was appalled by the events that took place in the narrative.
I look forward to the film in 2022.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So, prior to shooting Leo decided he wanted to switch roles in the film and now Jesse Plemons is playing the part that DiCaprio was originally playing. I hope someone talks about how that happened and what that changed because as I understood things the role Plemons is now playing was the lead...hence why Leo was in that part. Now did they expand the other part Leo moved into to make it larger for him or did he just see the role he moved into as something he could sink his acting teeth a bit deeper into?

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks