1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kill Bill Vol One and Two (Bluray 9/9/08)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ruben Rivera, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Absolute must buys for me. They've been showing the boxes at CES since about 2005 or so.

Regards,
    Dan

2. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

What Travis said. Like the draining of color from the finale of Taxi Driver, it was a concession to the U.S. ratings board.

The Japanese cut remains gloriously crimson through the whole scene, and once you've seen it that way, you won't want to go back. Presumably the "Whole Bloody Affair" will have the full-color version, so I guess I'll be waiting for that.

--Jefferson Morris

3. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Full specs:
    DVD Times - Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 (US BD) in September

"The films are presented in 1080P 2.40:1 Widescreen with English 5.1 PCM audio (48kHz/24-bit), English and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English SDH and Spanish subtitles. Extras are detailed below:

Kill Bill Volume 1
    The Making of KILL BILL Volume 1
    THE “5, 6, 7, 8’S” Musical Performances
    Tarantino Trailers: “Reservoir Dogs,” “Pulp Fiction,” “Jackie Brown,” “Kill Bill: Volume 1” bootleg trailer, Kill Bill” Volume 2 teaser.

Kill Bill Volume 2
    The Making of KILL BILL Volume 2
    Damoe Deleted Scene
    Chingon Musical Performance"

I assume, that "Vol.1" will be the "US R-rated Theatrical"-version (a shorter animated sequence and the 2nd part of the ""The House Of Leaves fight" is in black and white rather than colour - some screenshots: Schnittbericht :: Kill Bill: Vol. 1 :: Schnittberichte.com (Mehr als 4300 weitere Zensurberichte zu Filmen, Spielen, Comics ...) ) and with "Vol.2", again the Asian-releases had extra 45 sec scene at the Mexican brothel (some screenshots: Schnittbericht :: Kill Bill: Vol. 2 :: Schnittberichte.com (Mehr als 4300 weitere Zensurberichte zu Filmen, Spielen, Comics ...) ). Perhaps I´m wrong, but I doubt it...

After seeing "The House Of Leaves fight" in color (I have the DVD) etc, it´s hard to go back to the B&W version, even in 1080p... e.g. Japanese and Korean BD-releases just might have the "longer versions"..

4. Jari K

Jari K Producer

I believe this is the real reason. So we can´t really compare "Kill Bill" to "JFK" or "Nixon". While I don´t really consider the "B&W version" "cut" as such, I still prefer the "longer/color version".. E.g. Korean BD-titles cost roughly the same as the US ones (give or take, I guess), so perhaps they´ll release the "color"-version (Japanese DVDs/BDs are usually quite expensive).

5. Thivanka R. Perera

Thivanka R. Perera Stunt Coordinator

Thivanka Rukshan Perera
    Still don't get why they've rated it as NC-17, though--these releases are the same R rated cuts; amazon constantly does this: they had Natural Born Killers listed as Unrated when in Pre-order--and still do--while the release was clearly announced to be the R rated cut.

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Dang!
    Still no "...Bloody Affair". :-(
    When, when, when???

And I'll probably NEVER get the Cannes version.

7. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Different company, with permission needed from different people.

8. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Funny the way life works. I actually think it works better in B&W. I in no way shape or form have an aversion to blood but it looks too comical in color. Looks like a cool manga in B&W. Just my opinion.

I know it was only chosen to be B&W to get the R rating but aren't so many classics filled with good accidents. Jaws was terrific in that the shots of the shark were kept to a minimu. GENIUS, great idea, adds so much to tension, drama, edge of your seat suspense. The real reason was ole Bruce the shark wasn't working well and they had to make due.

However I agree both versions should be out there so we can choose which to watch.

9. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

I agree with you. I like the switch to black and white but I don't like that footage has been cut. That being said I haven't seen the uncut Volume 1 so I can't say if I would feel the same way after seeing it but I suspect I would. In a perfect world the blu-ray would allow you to select between a black and white or colour uncut House of Blue Leaves scene.

10. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I like the saga as two movies, although still interested to see TWBA.

The first movie has a rhythm and mood very much of its own, quite different than vol. 2 - which is good, but different.

As one film, I'm a little concerned this may actually work against the whole experience, becoming a little pretentious in the process.

11. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

12. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris

This is the type of review that has the capability of destroying the concept of Blu-ray.

"Image quality is very detailed and sharp in high definition despite instances of grain and several tiny flaws."

Suddenly, we've reverted to the "grain is thy enemy" syndrome.

Best that some reviewers simply turn down their sharpness.

RAH

13. Martin Henry

Martin Henry Stunt Coordinator

Yer Da
    Agreed, Robert. They don't have a clue on that site.

14. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Hum... I don't see where the review says that grain is bad.
    "Image quality is very detailed and sharp in high definition despite instances of grain" too "me" just means the grain isn't overwhelming in any way to PQ, detail, or sharpness. Even reading between the lines or looking for a hint of negativity I don't see it in this review. The PQ review was a perfect 10 out of 10 for goodness sakes.
    How is a 10 PQ rating destroying the concept of BD w/a transfer w/grain?
    (if you say its not the rating, its the "despite instances of grain" comment I'd still disagree. It is about the perfect 10 score & if the reviewer was trying too promote the "grain is thy enemy" syndrome, the review failed missable by posting that despite grain & several tiny flaws this is a fantastic transfer)

All this reviewer is doing is making the anti-grain crowd aware; even tho this transfer retains the grain of the original film it still rates a 10. If the reviewer did not say the transfer had grain the anti-grain crowd would have jumped all over the review because the disc was rated a 10 & it had grain.

RAH,
    Here's what you had too say about:
    "TWBB": "Yes, the opening sequence in the shaft is grainy, but proper."
    Anti-grain? No way!
    "Top Gun": "has been cleaned and grain "reduced." The final product is a gorgeous transfer."
    Anti-grain? No way!
    "That's Entertainment": "Some of the earlier bits have an extremely heavy grain structure which will be a boon to some and a travesty to others."
    Anti-grain? No way!
    "KotSW": "Grain may have been reduced a bit, but it appears not at the detriment of the overall image".
    Anti-grain? No way!
    Hope that helps.

[for any one thinking little old me is picking on the GREAT Mr. Harris, such is not the case. In no way am I questioning RAH astonishing film knowlegde. I'm only questioning his view of this review]

15. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Not sure about this review, but sometimes these reviewers just mention that "film has some grain" - just to inform the reader etc, not necessarily to say that it´s a "bad thing".

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Normal film grain is a part of the image and need not be noted in the same sentence as "several tiny flaws."

17. Jari K

Jari K Producer

I agree. I was just talking generally that sometimes people mention "grain" etc.

18. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

To me, the operative word is "despite". He is stating that the image is excellent notwithstanding the existence of instances of grain and tiny flaws; therefore, he is, for all intents and purposes, treating the "instances of grain" and "tiny flaws" as equivalents when grading the picture.

I would hazard a guess that had "grain" been more prevalent there would have been a downgrade in his assessment of the PQ.

19. Dave H

Dave H Producer

That's my take too.

20. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    All I know is I want to see that reviewer say that BoB deserves a 10 for PQ despite tons of appropriate grain. [​IMG] [​IMG]

But yeah, I agree it does also read a bit like he's putting (an appropriate amount/quality of grain) in the negative despite the 10 rating. I guess it's good though that he at least didn't knock any points off for the grain (and other tiny flaws).

I'm still a bit torn about getting this set (vs waiting for The Whole Bloody Affair, which I still haven't seen yet).

_Man_