Kill Bill vol. 1 Japanese Version: Tell me about it

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I have been hearing many great things about the
    Japanese version of Kill Bill, among them
    the fact that the B&W footage that the MPAA demanded
    for U.S. release is in color on the Japanese version.

What other benefits does this Japanese version have?

I found it for sale here:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GNBF-7040

Is there a better place to buy this?

2. Mark_Mc

Mark_Mc Agent

Hi Ron,

Feel free to take a look at this review I wrote comparing the UK, US and Japanese discs.

Hope that helps

3. Mark_Mc

Mark_Mc Agent

Hi Ron,

Feel free to take a look at this review I wrote comparing the UK, US and Japanese discs.

Hope that helps

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I don't usually play hall monitor, but doesn't this belong in the REGIONAL section of the forum? [​IMG]

I have not seen the disc and can't vouch for it personally, but I understand that in addition to the color sequences (which were B&W in the US) the Japanese version contains several small scenes that were cut in the US. The result is that the film "flows" better. Also, I've heard unsubstantiated reports that the transfer is sharper on the Japanese disc, and the DTS soundtrack is superior as well.

CDJAPAN is a great place to order from. Yesasia.com has it as well, but for $3 more.

5. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I don't usually play hall monitor, but doesn't this belong in the REGIONAL section of the forum? [​IMG]

I have not seen the disc and can't vouch for it personally, but I understand that in addition to the color sequences (which were B&W in the US) the Japanese version contains several small scenes that were cut in the US. The result is that the film "flows" better. Also, I've heard unsubstantiated reports that the transfer is sharper on the Japanese disc, and the DTS soundtrack is superior as well.

CDJAPAN is a great place to order from. Yesasia.com has it as well, but for $3 more.

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I would like to also like too ask if the Japanese version is a dub (Japanese FROM English, for a change), or subtitled (maybe even 'burned in')?
    Thanks for letting me break in Ron.
    Miss your reviews!
    Maybe you'll make a 'comeback' for this title.

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I would like to also like too ask if the Japanese version is a dub (Japanese FROM English, for a change), or subtitled (maybe even 'burned in')?
    Thanks for letting me break in Ron.
    Miss your reviews!
    Maybe you'll make a 'comeback' for this title.

8. Mark_Mc

Mark_Mc Agent

The Japanese disc contains English language 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, as well as a 5.1 Japanese dubbed track, along with player generated - not 'burned in' - subtitles. My review should hopefully cover everything

HTH

9. Mark_Mc

Mark_Mc Agent

The Japanese disc contains English language 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS tracks, as well as a 5.1 Japanese dubbed track, along with player generated - not 'burned in' - subtitles. My review should hopefully cover everything

HTH

10. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

LOL, I thought the same thing!...I was expecting to see that it was a "newbie" to the forum, but imagine my surprise!

Maybe I'll start a thread on R2 "Friends" season sets here!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

LOL, I thought the same thing!...I was expecting to see that it was a "newbie" to the forum, but imagine my surprise!

Maybe I'll start a thread on R2 "Friends" season sets here!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Here's the main differences:

There is slightly more gore in the animated sequence.

The House of Blue Leaves fight is in full color. Its so much better in color! The black and white US version is over-exposed (likely on purpose), so the whites are blown out and less detailed. I guess just removing the color wasn't enough for the MPAA.

There's also some footage in that fight (and after it) that is not in the US version.

There are English subtitles, but they are either on all the time or off all the time. Or if your really good, you can try to turn them on when there is Japanese speaking.

The supplements are different. There is a cool segment on the making of the animated sequence, but its not subtitled. You can also watch the entire animated sequence accompanied by the storyboards. There's some decent on-set footage too.

It all depends on if messing with the subtitles bothers you. After I watched the Japanese version, I became spoiled and could not watch the US version.

I also ordered it from CDJapan. I'm sure its cheaper somewhere else, but I didn't want to search forever.

13. AaronMan

AaronMan Second Unit

Aaron
    Here's the main differences:

There is slightly more gore in the animated sequence.

The House of Blue Leaves fight is in full color. Its so much better in color! The black and white US version is over-exposed (likely on purpose), so the whites are blown out and less detailed. I guess just removing the color wasn't enough for the MPAA.

There's also some footage in that fight (and after it) that is not in the US version.

There are English subtitles, but they are either on all the time or off all the time. Or if your really good, you can try to turn them on when there is Japanese speaking.

The supplements are different. There is a cool segment on the making of the animated sequence, but its not subtitled. You can also watch the entire animated sequence accompanied by the storyboards. There's some decent on-set footage too.

It all depends on if messing with the subtitles bothers you. After I watched the Japanese version, I became spoiled and could not watch the US version.

I also ordered it from CDJapan. I'm sure its cheaper somewhere else, but I didn't want to search forever.

14. Haggai

Haggai Producer

There was another thread where someone was talking about the combined Kill Bill that played at Cannes. Apparently the Vol. 1 portion of it was basically this Japanese version. So, although I have no insider sources or any great insight beyond what I'm pulling out of my behind, I would hazard a guess that the eventual double-pack R1 DVD release of the two movies will feature the Japanese cut of Vol. 1.

15. Haggai

Haggai Producer

There was another thread where someone was talking about the combined Kill Bill that played at Cannes. Apparently the Vol. 1 portion of it was basically this Japanese version. So, although I have no insider sources or any great insight beyond what I'm pulling out of my behind, I would hazard a guess that the eventual double-pack R1 DVD release of the two movies will feature the Japanese cut of Vol. 1.

16. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Posted by: Mark_Mc

SOLID!
    I am waiting for the 'Japanese' Box Set then.

17. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Posted by: Mark_Mc

SOLID!
    I am waiting for the 'Japanese' Box Set then.

18. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't the one girl get her other arm cut off before being thrown down the hill to the hospital in the japanese version?

19. Adam W

Adam W Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't the one girl get her other arm cut off before being thrown down the hill to the hospital in the japanese version?

20. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Yessir, she does lose more bodyparts in the J version.

I borrowed the Japanese disc from a friend... it's solid. I'm gonna wait for the eventual release of it here though.

You can actually pick it up at most Virgin Megastores for around $49.99 (the cheaper route would be www.yesasia.com)