What's new

kill bill r2,3 (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Since Miramax is releasing a unrated Bad Santa, maybe we can hope for a unrate Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 combined set, which is what Im gonna hold out for.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
The new "unrated" Bad Santa is not unrated at all. If you go to the MPAA's website you will see that this new "unrated director's cut" was submitted to the MPAA and passed with an R rating. They are lying when they say unrated, it is really just another cut of the film that also passed with an R rating. I think they just want people to think they are releasing something that is unrated. Here's the link, just type in Bad Santa.http://mpaa.org/movieratings/search/index.htm

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

It applies to Miramax as well. Thus, they licensed the rights to Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! as well as The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover to Anchor Bay since neither could get an R rating. Also, I believe Miramax sold off the film Kids which was released on video right after the Buena Vista purchase (Miramax released it theatrically).

Jeff

Jeff

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
Since we keep talking about the Hong Kong R3, what about the Korean R3?

KoreanDVDs.com has it listed as "uncut" (with runtime at 111min) and with english subtitles. Price: US$20.

The page doesn't state though if the fight scene is in color or b&w though. However, at Total DVD Online, they state in their Kill Bill R1 review that the Korean version has the full color fight scene.

Has anyone ordered this version?

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
I read on another forum that koreandvds.com had confirmed to a punter that the Korean R3 is also the cut version.

Real Name
Anthony
OK, I've got the HK KILL BILL right here (available from CDWOW as mentioned) and I can confirm that this is the version with the black and white fight sequence.
On first brief glimpse, it does seem a little bit gorier than the released version but I can't remember that well enough to say for sure and I've not yet watched the film all the way through.

A/V - the DTS soundtrack sounds very good but the PQ leaves something to be desired. It's less than pin-sharp ; seems consistently on the soft side.

Menu design is basic - still sword image with music. There are only 8 chapter stops.
Subtitles CAN be turned off but there are NO subtitles for the Japanese dialogue sequences.
The disc packaging can be seen in an earlier post. There is no insert.

Extras - Making of (3 mins), Soundbites ( Tarantino, Thurman, Bender, Liu, Fox - 13.27), B-Roll footage (4.08).
Trailers - Teaser, TV spot, Trailer and KB Vol 2 teaser.
There's also bios, a stills gallery and a comics gallery which is just a handful of stills from the anime sequence.

Overall, then, on first glance this version has little to recommend it other than its cheap price. I think I'll be returning it.

Especially now QT seems to be planning on cutting together the harder Japanese version with KB 2 and releasing them in the future on R1 at least. He says he's retained the rights to the harder version.
(Source - www.darkhorizons.com )

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
But isn´t there a difference between the korean and the HK edition? Just because the HK is censored, the korean doesn´t need to be censored. If Koreandvds heard that the korean edition will be censored, why don´t they change the info on their site? It does sound strange to me. Do the liberately want to trick people?

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Anthony,

Where on Dark Horizons did you read that? I had heard that QT retained the rights to the version on KBv1 released in Japan, and that he was thinking of putting it together with KBv2 for art-house showings. I'm not sure how that would translate to a DVD release.

Real Name
Anthony
That's the same information, Max. There's a thread about it on the Software forum. I'm not sure how it translates to a DVD, either. He says he wants to edit together the harder Japanese cut of Vol 1 with Vol 2 (implying there will be no such harder version)and release this on the art-house circuit and then finally on DVD.

Who knows ?

Am I correct to assume that the Japanese DVD (that does have english subtitles) will be fully dubbed in japanese with no English speech? Please say that isn't so!

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Japanese DVD doesn't even have a dubbed soundtrack, IIRC.

Actually, IIRC... most Japanese prefer to watch American stuff subtitled in Japanese.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Last I heard the Japanese disc had English subs, but if you turned them on they were on for the whole time (even the scenes in english). So you'd have to turn them on for the Japanese scenes, and then turn them off again.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

It's going take several hours of work, but I am going to make my own legal backup and add a subtitle track that only has subs during the Japanese language scenes. It'll be nice to have the uncut version with the correct subs.

Jeff

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Doesn´t anyone have confirmation regarding the korean edition, not the HK edition? If the korean edition is uncut and uncensored it´s much cheaper ($20) than the japanese edition.

But what troubles me is the fact that koreandvds state that the running time is 111 minutes, which is the same as the cut R1 edition. The japanese uncut edition has a running time of 113 minutes. It does look like it´s the censored and cut version after all.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I just got shipping notice from Amazon Japan and should have the R2 Japan version by Monday.

If no one else confirms the questions, I will post when I receive the disc. Perhaps someone in Japan has the disc and can report earlier.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
The webmaster at koreandvds.com posted on their board that its the R1 cut. Technically its uncut for Korea since their theatrical version was cut.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Where can you find that? When I try to look at the reply on the board I only get some strange figures? Or can you please quote question and answer? Thank You!

OK, I think I got it now. Thank you very much for sorting this out.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Read a post at DVD Reviews that said that a dealer in Tahiland had seen the Thai edition and it´s uncensored, uncut and has english subtitles. Let´s hope so, and that it´s not a pirate and comes with a reasonable price.

I read on a swedish forum that someone had bought the pirate edition by mistake and it was the censored/cut version. So it does look like the "non-pirate" edition is the one in full colour.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks