What's new

kill bill r2,3 (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Given the uncertainty of how subtitles might be implemented in the HK disc, I think I'll wait until a hands-on review to order. The japanese is too expensive for my liking.

In the meantime, the FYE deal means that the US version is only $9.99 after rebate. I'll probably do this to get my immediate KB fix - after all, I suspect I'll end up buying this film a few times!

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

Brian, as far as I can tell, exactly the opposite is true. The Japanese DVD does have English subtitles listed in its specs, while the HK DVD only lists Chinese subtitles.

Also, it looks as though the Japanese disc's English subtitles are on through the whole film. The upshot of all this is that there is no 'ideal' disc yet of Kill Bill, i.e., the uncut release with English subtitles only where necessary, but that's only conjecture until I see reviews of the R2 and R3 discs.

RobD

Second Unit
My choice was decided by a sudden desire for some useless movie knicknacks (Mini Sword and funny figure thingy).

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
There will be no optional english subtitles on the R3 edition. This is from a email from CD-WOW:

"There are no optional English subtitles on the Kill Bill (R3) DVD

Best Wishes,
David
www.cd-wow.com
[email protected]"

So for english subtitles the japanese edition is the way to go, but then you have to watch the whole movie with subtitles. But it could be burnt in subtitles for the R3 edition (no OPTIONAL subtitles).

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Has anyone pre-ordered the non-limited edition version from www.cdjapan.co.jp yet? It lists it as being English dts 5.1, or Dolby Digital and anamorphic widescreen with full subtitling. Priced at $35.55 US.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Greg, Peter

I think you're right. Yesasia.com had the HK R3 disc listed as having English subs along with Traditional and Simplified Chinese, but suddenly their listing seems to have disappeared. Go figure...

I'm in no big rush anyways and will probably just wait for the big R1 collector's edition down the road. I'm fairly certain we'll see the full-color version then.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I read that Miramax/Buena Vista has a policy about not releasing unrated material on dvd. I have heard that a couple of times(the first time regarding them not releasing the director's cut of Scream in the U.S. on dvd) and if that's the case we probably won't be seeing a full color version in Region 1 unless they change their policy.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'm dying to find out if the R3 has burnt in english subs for the scenes in Japanse. That's the last thing keeping me from ordering that disc.

Uncut? Yes!
Color house of blue leave? Yes!
English subs burnt in as they were in the theatrical release? I guess we'll have to wait for the first reviews...

FYI here is an image from dvdtalk showing the details on the R3HK release:

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

Miramax have no such policy in Europe. They have released several titles uncensored here, for example Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. The age restriction for these titles are 18 in the UK. Tarantino has already stated that there will be a SE deluxe edition for R1 in full color, but it will take a while before it´s released.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were released uncensored on dvd in the U.S. as well because they weren't NC17 or unrated. They were rated R by the MPAA. Kill Bill with the House of Blue Leaves sequence in color would not have passed the MPAA's standard for an R rating so it would have been NC17 or unrated here in America. That's why I thought the uncensored version might not appear on dvd in the U.S. I'm not surprised that they would make an exception for Tarantino, however. Also, I don't know if it's right or not but dvdcompare.net says that there are 3 seconds of edits in the 2 disc UK dvd of Pulp Fiction just like there were on the first 1 disc U.S. release. http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparison...ge.php?fid=366

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I stand corrected, but since it doesn´t say what have been cut out I can´t answer that. In Sweden we have practically no censorship at all, neither sex or violence, although animal cruelty can be cut out. So I´m definitely hoping for a totally uncensored swedish edition. Otherwise I will pick up the japanese SE edition. It´s really no difference for me whether I buy R1 or R2JAP, except for the price.

But if Tarantino knew that if Miramax released Kill Bill, it would never be the uncensored version, why didn´t he choose another company? Or does he have a contract with Miramax? I´ve seen that he thinks that the uncensored version is the "right" version, and it does seem strange that he would not be able to show that version to the American viewers.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, it does seem strange and I don't even know for sure if it's true but I know I read in a couple of different places about Buena Vista supposedly having this policy. I don't know the details about Tarantino's deal with Miramax.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I´ve heard that the policy only applies for Disney/Buena Vista, but not for Miramax. Miramax is allowed to release unrated films and that is one of the reason Miramx exists, because Disney will not release anything that doesn´t fit their "family values".

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Just to add a bit of spice to the mix, in another forum, a fellow apparently based in HK says he got the local HK disc from Universe and it had the fight scene in B&W as opposed to the color version he saw in the cinema!

... and CD Wow have removed the uncut description from their R3 disc, and now mention that the fight scenes are B&W and color!

Looking forward to the next developments on this one!;)

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the CD-Wow UK helpdesk have confirmed that the disc is the standard version, with no English subs to boot!

I told my friends that no way would Weinstein allow an uncut version to be available for import from HK at a price less than the US domestic version, but would they listen? I also warned them there'd be no subs. You only have to look at the tantrum he threw over people importing "Shaolin Soccer" from HK. But while I was being a Cassandra about it I was secretly hoping I'd be proven wrong.

I think Miramax have played a good game here, excellent marketing, we're all going to buy the damn thing twice as I can't see them not releasing an unrated version in the future.

Real Name
Anthony
That's a bastard ! I ordered that from CD WOW and it's on its way. I thought it sounded too good to be true !

That one's going back. Luckily, CD WOW are very friendly with their returns policy. They even send you an envelope.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I emailed Paul Champagne asking him to make a Kill Bill case. The good thing about this is that then you can buy the keepcase editions and still get a very nice case to put them in. The cases are not really that expensive, around $30 for most of them. This is how the cases are made:

"These Collector's Cases are made of either gold or silver anodized aluminum and brushed gold or silver ABS. Laser engraved in black over the brushed metal finish or finished in full color using the latest digital laser color imaging system. The cases will fit on a standard DVD shelf."

Here´s an example:

Read more about it on his site:
http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/index.html

To be able to make a nice case for Kill Bill he needs to find appropriate, good quality artwork. So please help me find that kind of artwork. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks