What's new

Kill Bill Dvd 2/3 04 (1 Viewer)

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
And this one is a double-disc so I highly doubt it'll be bare bones. As a matter of fact I guarantee it.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
DVD File, here's the quote.

Rounding out this week's news, Buena Vista Home Entertainment has also announced a a February 3rd street date for Quentin Tarantino's latest ode to exploitation, Kill Bill Vol. 1. Specs have not yet been announced, but this two-disc set will retail for $29.95 and full details should be released soon. Watch this space!

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
2-discs? I'm going to wait for specs. Two discs do not a good DVD make.

Don't even think about an uncut U.S. release. Unless Miramax splits with Disney. They can't release the unrated/NC-17 version.

So I will keep my eyes out for the Japanese dvd release if an uncut R1 release is not available.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
I'm crossing my fingers for a commentary track and a behind the scenes at the house of blue leaves.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I am just gonna buy the R2 release of Volume 1 and Volume 2 along with the eventual uber-edition. Got a region-free player, and I might as well use it ;)

Some of you guys will be surprised at the price of R2 DVDs though.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"Yeah, man, Kill Bill is a total sellout movie. You can really tell when you watch it that Quentin just cares about the money and not about filmmaking at all. They should never release it on DVD at all. That would be the real hardcore way to not be a sellout."

Sorry, but this is a pretty blockheaded comparison.

I'm not sure how I feel about the decision to split Kill Bill up in to two different DVDs - I think a good argument can be made either way. But to try to link the argument against splitting the film into two discs to the idea that releasing ANY DVD is "selling out" is just meaningless. Yeah, I know your post is supposed to be sarcastic but it should still bare some actual relation to the argument you're trying to mock, and there is no relation at all.

It's my understanding - correct me if I'm wrong - that it WASN'T Tarentino who came up with the idea of splitting the theatrical release into two parts. It was the producer's idea. And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, this has a lot to do with theater owners, who can squeeze in more showings a day - and thus reap greater profits with a popular film - if the film is shorter. So the film is cut in half not out of any artistic design, but with an eye on the financial bottom line...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that, necessarily. Distributors have a natural inclination to want to accommodate theater owners. But when it comes to releasing the film on DVD, I think the argument for splitting it in half becomes a little harder to make - especially if Tarentino, as I said, originally intended it to be ONE film, not two.

So while the charge of "sellout" may be a little strong, the idea that financial lucre is the dictating force at work here, is, shall we say, not entirely outside the realm of possibility...

Again, to equate someone who would make this charge with someone who would be against the release of ANY version on DVD, is completely nonsensical. Marc Colella is being maligned unfairly.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I think Quentin will stop with the combo of both movies. Disney's a little moderate when it comes to special editions, they aren't Columbia after all who already have an SE in the making while a lackluster disc sits on shelves (I know they're holding out on the Resident Evil Ultimate Edition untli the sequel hits next year). I have no problem buying both and then the combo but if the extras suck on the single releases I'll sell them...or repackage them for presents :D.

Who knows, maybe things'll change and instead of a seperate release of Volume 2 we'll get both movies in one complete volume.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
It was Tarantino's idea. And even it weren't, releasing the movie on DVD as it was in the theater isn't anything to complain about.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
American Splendor is out 2/3/04 as well.

Lost In Translation
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Ed Wood
American Splendor
Rain Man: SE

Wow...

And I thought next week was lookin good with Two Towers and Once Upon a Time in the West special editions.

richardWI

Second Unit
I'm curious, how many people complaining about the split on this thread actually bothered to see the movie?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious, how many people complaining about the split on this thread actually bothered to see the movie?
I haven't seen it yet, and would rather wait to see the whole thing at once. Now, part of the motivation for this is financial (since I'm out of work at this point and $12 for a movie is a little pricey), but I'd also prefer to see the film as it was intended to be seen. From what I understand, QT agreed to the split, but never intended it to happen when he was first editing the film.

richardWI

Second Unit
QT agreed to the split, but never intended it to happen when he was first editing the film.
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read that he filmed a second introduction sequence for credits and titles for a second movie in the event of it becoming two movies. QT seemed very aware and concerned with the "sprawl" the film was creating.

The other version comes from the KB press notes:

-------------------------------
Originally planned as a single film, the movie will be presented in two installments, Kill Bill-
Vol. 1 and Kill Bill-Vol. 2.
“If I had thought while I was writing it,” Tarantino says, “that Harvey Weinstein would be willing to release it in two parts, I would have suggested it then. But I
frankly never thought he would. Later on, when he himself said he didn’t want to cut a thing and would we consider releasing it as two movies, I said, ‘What an interesting idea!’ Within an hour, I had figured out exactly how to do it.”

When the time to make the final decision rolled around, in the summer of 2003, Tarantino showed Weinstein his cut of what would soon be designated Kill Bill-Vol. 1. He introduced the screening by saying: “This is either the first movie, or it’s the first half of the movie”.
Weinstein’s response was unequivocal: “This is a terrific ending! So that’s it! It’s two movies!”
-----------------------------------

Whatever the case, it doesn't really matter to me when the decision was made to split it. The end result was a satisfying movie experience.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
"I'm curious, how many people complaining about the split on this thread actually bothered to see the movie?"

Uh, don't you mean "movies?" Or is it just one movie, with a really, really long intermission?

David_SG

Stunt Coordinator
I'll probably buy whatever versions are thrown at me, as this is my top movie of the year so far. And I can't imagine a 3 to 4 hour epic working better than 2 split movies, whether that was the original intention or not.

I would like to say that I don't really like how studios are using the excuse of "no overlapping extras" to make it seem like we're not really double dipping. All this is doing is forcing the "completist" to shell out as much money as possible. I'm all for multiple releases, but there's no reason why desirable extras on the initial release can't be included in the super duper release as well.

The most obvious example is the exclusion of the trailers in the LOTR EE DVDs. No reason for this, other than to sell the false notion of not double dipping because of "no overlapping extras". Being able to own the theatrical release of the film should be enough incentive to buy both versions - I don't need the added "comfort" of exclusive extras. Sure, it makes sense from a marketing perspective to sell it to the public like this, but please, stop making it seem like you're doing us a favor by holding back on extras from one release to the next.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Even if this Vol. 1 set is pretty well loaded (and just because it's two discs doesn't mean that's true...Matrix Reloaded anyone?), I think I'm going to hold off and wait for the eventual combined set of both volumes. This movies were really meant to be one film, and that's how I'd like to see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks