What's new

Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
One of my favourite Ghibli movies. It can't really be spoiled as long as the original Japanese language track is offered, which must be a no-brainer! I hate dubs....
I already have my all-time favourite on Blu, Nausicaa of the Valley ... next must be Laputa!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yeah! Now if we can get the rest that have yet to show up on this side of the Atlantic!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Phil Hartman's ad-libbing was stupid and ruined the film. In fact, EVERYTHING about the dub is disgusting, including adding music in every place where Miyazaki had blessed silence. The Japanese version is my favorite Miyazaki film - just beautiful. I could not believe how the dub subverted everything about the film. How anyone can watch the film with that dub and think they're seeing Kiki's Delivery Service is beyond me.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
haineshisway said:
Phil Hartman's ad-libbing was stupid and ruined the film. In fact, EVERYTHING about the dub is disgusting, including adding music in every place where Miyazaki had blessed silence. The Japanese version is my favorite Miyazaki film - just beautiful. I could not believe how the dub subverted everything about the film. How anyone can watch the film with that dub and think they're seeing Kiki's Delivery Service is beyond me.
...you do know they undid nearly all of their 1998 changes for the most recent dvd right?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Lord Dalek said:
...you do know they undid nearly all of their 1998 changes for the most recent dvd right?
I have no idea what you're talking about. I have the Disney DVD release, as well as the Japanese DVD. What's on MY DVD release is the terrible American dub with all the added music. I was not aware of any other DVD release.

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
BLU-RAY BONUS FEATURES:

[*]Introduction by John Lasseter
[*]Original Japanese Storyboards
[*]Original Japanese Trailers
[*]Behind the Microphone — English voice cast members Kirsten Dunst, Janeane Garofalo and Phil Hartman give voice to their on-screen characters
[*]Creating Kiki’s Delivery Service — Director Miyazaki discusses how he created the world of the movie
[*]Kiki & Jiji — Producer Toshio Suzuki reveals how Director Miyazaki based the character of Kiki on Suzuki’s teenage daughter
[*]Flying with Kiki & Beyond — The director discusses how he approached Kiki flying
[*]Producer’s Perspective: Collaborating with Miyazaki — The producer talks about how he worked with the director through the years
[*]The Locations of Kiki — The real world locations that influenced the look of the film are revealed
[*]Scoring Miyazaki — Composer Joe Hisaishi talks about his approach in writing the music.
[*]Ursula’s Painting (ALL NEW) — A musical montage of Ursula’s Painting. The painting was created by junior high school students and used by Director Miyazaki for the film.
[/list]

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Who knew it was so recently rereleased on and DVD yet. The amazon comments are hilarious - all the little girls miss all the stupidity that Disney originally added. They specifically mention the silences! Disney had and probably still has a thing that in animation you cannot let two minutes go by (maybe even less) that does not have musical scoring of some sort). And maybe they're right, maybe kids in in the US are being raised where they just can't understand what actual silence in a movie is like, how beautiful stillness is. What a shame. But good on them for at least bringing it more in line to match the Japanese. Of course the little girls who are now well into their teens wouldn't know how to cope with reading subtitles so there's that, too.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
AnthonyClarke said:
T he product details for that DVD re-release mention French subtitles only, not English! So much for offering the Japanese language track!
If the original Japanese track is not included then you are simply not seeing Kiki's Delivery Service. It's that simple.

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
There was also a pre-Disney English dub on the Japanese Laserdisc which was pure Miyazaki otherwise.Is this still available on any version?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
That was the Streamline dub, and is unavailable as far as I'm aware. The English subtitles on all DVDs/Blu-rays of Kiki are actually simply a transcription of the dialogue from the Streamline dub, rather than a translation of the original Japanese. The Streamline dub was quite accurate though, and was produced for Japan Airlines' international flights.
The English subtitled script used for the original VHS subbed release and the later DVD release, more closely adheres to the Japanese script, but still contains a few alterations. It is based on the original Streamline dub, and has resulted in several additions from that dub to migrate into the script regardless of whether they are present or not (such as Herbert Morrison's "Oh the humanity!" line during the blimp sequence). This came about because Tokuma gave Disney the script for the original dub, thinking it was an accurate translation, believing this was the script that Disney worked on
Q: Is there an English subtitled version of "Kiki"?
Sort of.
Disney released a subbed VHS version sometime in 1998 (now out-of-print), but it's based on the Streamline/JAL English dub. Why did this happen? Ryoko Toyama explains:
Tokuma gave the Streamline script to Disney thinking that it was an accurate translation, and Disney worked on it. Several things that were not in the original Japanese script migrated to the BV subtitles.

All DVDs contain the same English subtitles (more appropriately called dubtitles).
This is the only Ghibli film that I know of that has this problem; all the rest having proper subtitles translated from the original script.

A copy of the Kiki script is here (translated) if anyone wants to see how the Kiki dubtitles fare:

http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/kiki/script_kiki_en.txt

nara

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hugh
EddieLarkin said:
That was the Streamline dub, and is unavailable as far as I'm aware.
I'll hang on to my laserdiscs then.The dub for 'Laputa' is also much easier on the ear than the Disney version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks