What's new

Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy - any early reviews? (1 Viewer)

CharlyD

Grip
Thanks for the response Andrew. I kept finding myself clicking back on this thread every couple of minutes in hopes of a response.
I'm looking forward to seeing the featurette on "White".
I'll also watch (and most likely be baffled by the ending of) "Red" this weekend.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I've been waiting for this trilogy since I jumped on the DVD bandwagon in '98.

I went over each DVD thoroughly over the weekend (one per day - Friday, Saturday and Sunday) and I have to say that it was well worth the wait.

Nevermind Star Wars, LOTR and every other trilogy made... I consider the Trois Couleurs Trilogy THE greatest trilogy in film. Simply beautiful filmmaking.

Kudos to Miramax for an outstanding set.
The picture and sound quality were excellent, and the extras were abundant and extremely informative.

This gets my vote so far for best DVD(s) of 2003, and IMO is better than any DVD released in 2002.

To top it off, the set cost me a total of $48 CAD. That's exactly $16 CAD per DVD !! I would have paid twice that price. Easily the best bargain in DVD.

For those who haven't seen the films yet, I recommend (at the very least) a rental. For those who love the Trilogy and haven't purchased it yet - don't wait a minute longer... pick this sucker up!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I be an idiot. I started watching "Red" last night, and then found out it was the last of the trilogy. Doh! For some reason I was using the mnemonic "Red/White/Blue" as the order for the trilogy, but now realize it's "Blue/White/Red" which is the order on the box set cover. Double-Doh!

This was my first Irene Jacob film, and, man, does the camera love this lady or what?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
hey Marc;

where did you pick yours up? i've been to Future Shops and the Wave but i haven't seen them.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Eric,

I ordered mine from Amazon.com.

The Canadian release date is set for March 18th... and I couldn't wait the extra 2 weeks for this set. :D

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I watched Blue and White (and started Red but ran out of time) yesterday and found these transfers to be solid if not spectacular. Someone posted earlier that they liked the video of Blue but not White, and I couldn't really tell a quality difference between the two transfers on my ISF'd Panny 47" HDTV w/ RP91 player. They were both good transfers (The Bits gave all 3 films a "B" for video, and I'd grade them between "B" and "B+" I guess I'm not as discriminating as they are).

Definitely great filmmaking, and I'm very happy that I was able to finally purchase them here in the States. Will try to watch Red tonight!

Simon_Lepine

Supporting Actor
To Canadians:

The best deal seem to be at amazon.ca, 44.10 with free shipping:

amazon.ca

You can also use MAPSHAWCABLE or CANADAVCARDS coupons for $10 off $50 orders.

The best prices from american sites seems to be around 28$-30$ US + shipping.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
as a Canadian, it'll be the first time i won't mind bilingual packaging :P (the only other french movies i have, ironically, are Amelie and Brotherhood of the Wolf, which were both english only covers :P)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I be an idiot. I started watching "Red" last night, and then found out it was the last of the trilogy. Doh! For some reason I was using the mnemonic "Red/White/Blue" as the order for the trilogy, but now realize it's "Blue/White/Red" which is the order on the box set cover. Double-Doh!
How far into Red did you get?

~T

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I'm not sure there's ever been a better DVD value than this trilogy. 3 great films, each loaded with nice bonus material, and the price is less than $30.

Incredible!

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
I bought these blind the other week, and all I can say is, WOW!
I only saw Blue, but was absolutely floored. Any film (film, not movie) lover who hasn't seen these, buy them NOW. This is almost as important as having the Godfather Box.

Regards,
Nathan

Ling.W

Auditioning
If you guys think his Three colors trilogy is good, go watch his Decalogue 10-logy. That is an absolute masterpiece. Probably one of the best piece of film making in the latter 20th century. And can you believe that it was made for Polish TV? We can't even get anything like that from any of our movie studios (large or small), let alone TV.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
If you guys think his Three colors trilogy is good, go watch his Decalogue 10-logy. That is an absolute masterpiece. Probably one of the best piece of film making in the latter 20th century.
Agreed, but The Decalogue has been out-of-print for some time now, and is going for big bucks online. But there have been rumblings of a reissue to happen later in the year.

Ling.W

Auditioning
Agreed, but The Decalogue has been out-of-print for some time now, and is going for big bucks online. But there have been rumblings of a reissue to happen later in the year.
If you can't afford it, rent it. Whichever way, just get you hand on a copy.

Regarding the extras on the Trilogy, there are so many of them that gives an insight into the thinking and mindset of Kieslowski, something that is so lacking due to his short span in the international spotlight and his early demise. It is always refreshing to see extras that delve into what truly makes the film what it is, as opposed to focusing on the main star, useless things like CGI or even egoistic directors that desecrate an adapted screenplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks