What's new

Kieslowski's Decalogue - Ebert Segment (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I've rented The Decalogue as 3 discs from Netflix. On Disc 1 there is a segment called "Roger Ebert on the Decalogue" or some such. I've watched the 3 Decalogue films on Disc 1 and would like to return it, but don't know if I should watch the Ebert segment before seeing the other 7 films.

Has anyone seen this that can comment? Are there any spoilers or anything else in the Ebert segment that would lessen my enjoyment of the rest of the films if I see it prior to the other 7 films? If so I guess I'll just hang on to the first disc until I've watched the rest!

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
It's been a while since I've watched the intro, but my recollection is that Ebert's comments were filled with spoilers. In fact, he essentially just describes what happens in at least one episode. I remember thinking at the time that I wasn't sure of the point of his comments. They seemed to be basic fare aimed at people new to The Decalogue, so of little interest to people familiar with the material, yet they gave away too much of the plots to be of use to people new to it. The intro apparently exists mostly as a stamp of approval by Ebert, a weak addition to the "special edition"--and I usually love Ebert's work.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Dave:

I made that mistake when I got them from Netflix - don't watch it! Some spoilers lessened the impact of some of the best episodes.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
So it sounds like watching it now would definitely be a bad idea, but that watching it after I've seen all ten probably wouldn't do much for me either. Maybe I'll just go ahead and send it back so I can keep my queue moving...

Thanks to both of you for the information!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I remember that segment was just his reading of his "Great Movies" essay.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks