Kid's Room Setups - what inexpensive 50 watt speakers???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Sep 26, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Since Christmas is coming up, I've been shopping for some cheap DVD systems to buy for my kid's rooms since I plan on canablizing my bedroom system to make way for a major HT room upgrade. I found a couple of these units http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/dvd/dvdarchive/SD6109C.html
    God Bless America!!!

2. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

John,
    I haven't heard those JBLs, but most of what I've read makes me think they're a good choice for the price.
    I'd also recommend PSB Alpha Mites for $119 available here --> http://www.saturdayaudio.com/alphas.htm . They also have Alpha Minis and Alpha A/Vs for more $$$.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the 6109C for that price?
    -Steve

3. David Head

David Head Second Unit

John,
    I think the JBL N24s will be your best best under $125 a pair. If you weren't planning on buying them locally, here's a site that has them $10 cheaper than you listed:
    Dealznet.COM - JBL N24
    I haven't ordered anything from them, but Yahoo Shopping rates them 5 stars.
    David

4. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Thanks for the tip David. J&R is even less expensive when you include shipping costs ($109 vs $116)
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

John, are you sure you even want to go in that direction. How old are your kids and will they appreciate the sound of the JBLs. Maybe some good RatShack speakers will carry the load and do the job. My brother in law has a Rat Shack set up and every one that doesn't really understand true hometheater raves about it, well until they get to my house. Anyway if your kids are theaterphiles like you and would appreciate good sound then definetly go JBL. Those Rat Shack speakers aren't to bad.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

6. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The nOrh 3.0 goes for $150 a pair. It is a little more than what you want to spend but well worth the price.
    [Edited last by BryanZ on September 27, 2001 at 08:57 AM]

7. David Head

David Head Second Unit

John,
    You're welcome. You might also want to see if you can use Dealznet or J&R to pricematch at Sears (they do carry the N24s).
    David

8. James Q Jenkins

James Q Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

Check www.harmanaudio.com they had a JBL 5 speaker set there for $70 last week. Somebody else was posting aobut trying to find a budget system.
    ------------------
    -JQJ