Kids Room, Part 2: Connections - Composite video to coax?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Morris, Sep 27, 2001.

1. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Since my kids TVs have only one coax input, and I need to feed a composite video feed (no audio)into this set for DVD playback, will this work?
    I plan on using a http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=2272&CATID=39
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on September 27, 2001 at 08:22 AM]
    [Edited last by John Morris on September 27, 2001 at 08:27 AM]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'm afraid that wont work.
    The coax input on a TV is expecting Radio Frequence (RF) TV signals. This gets fed into a tuner to pull out a single channel.
    If you rig a cable from the Video output of a DVD player and inject it into the coax input on the TV, you wont get any signal.
    Unless the TV has a VIDEO input jack, you cannot feed the signal into the TV Directly.
    But there is a device called a "RF Modulator" available at Radio shack. This thing takes Video and Audio inputs and outputs a RF signal on TV channel 3 or 4. You can feed this into the TV and then the TV's Tuner will decode it back to video/audio for display.
    This is how people with older TV's use a DVD player. I think it costs about $35, but check with your local store.
    Good Luck.

3. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

I think the Rat Shack ones sell for around $40. I know Best Buy and Circuit City both carry one for around $30.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I thought running it through the vcr would do it. Even if you have the composite connected from the DVD player to the vcr and then put the t.v. on channel 3 or 4 and there's your picture.
    ------------------
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
    right!!!

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Jerome: I thought first about just using the VCR's inputs, but to pass that through the coax cable to the TV my kids would have to select that input, rather than the default onboard VCR tuner. I was hoping to avoid having to teach the kids how to access that VCR menu by just patching in the DVD video...
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

6. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

You typically can't run a DVD player through a VCR because of the Macrovision copy protection on the DVD. Even though you aren't recording the signal, most VCRs will go squirrely when they see the signal anyway. There are exceptions, of course, but it's hit and miss.

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest