kids games for X-Box?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony GT, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Anthony GT

Anthony GT Stunt Coordinator

I have a 5 year old that wants to play some X-Box games. I tried renting a few that I thought he could operate but it was still pretty hard for him. He could handle the first level of Crash Bandicoot:TWOC, but beyond that he was stuck.

I'm considering giving Shrek a try.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Most of the games are targeted for 13 and up I'm sorry to say. Umm. Simpsons Road Rage might be good

3. Christopher Cheadle

Christopher Cheadle Stunt Coordinator

Oddly enough, my 5-year old son gets a kick out of playing Amped. He's not able to do many of the tricks, but he does so enjoy just cruising around. Also, Crash Bandicoot was rough for him in a couple of the levels, but for the most part he could control the action (and is actually better at it than me). But, like Jeff said, most of the games are geared toward the teenage and above crowd making it hard for me to find games suitable for him.

Chris

4. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

The game that's still played the most by my wife's little cousin's is Pen Pen Tri-Icelon on the Dreamcast.

They Nickleodeon Party Blast game just came out and Fuzion Frenzy is quite fun too.

5. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

my 7yr old plays TJ&E III with me and she doesnt like fast paced games....you are just searching for stuff & delivering presents...One player can do the hard stuff like springy shoes and flying and then when accessing the map the other player can click "join other player" and they pass all the tough obstacles...

TJ&E is sort of racey, but its mostly double entendres and there is "nice" mode which cuts out the swearing and other dicey stuff...

The nice part about the dynamic split screen is when you are together the screen is congruent so it is easier to work together than typical split screen games....

OH...and my nephew (7yrs old as well) loves and had no problem picking up Jet Set Radio Future....Inline skating where you collect spray cans and spray graffiti on everything....No shooting in the game....Just spraying buildings and the bosses are cops who you have to run into, knock down and spray with graffiti or a skill challenge provided by a NPC....pretty decent, but some skill is needed with the controller....

The Xbox is definitely not a kids system....I am comtemplating a gamecube or gameboy advance for the little ones...

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

"Sneakers" looks like a pretty nifty game, but is apparently only sold at Toys R Us.

7. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

Sneakers got absolutely miserable scores from IGN and Gamespot...I would definitely rent before I bought.
    How about Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, Loons: The Fight for Fame, or Taz: Wanted? None of them look to be contending for game of the year, but they aren't Kabuki Warriors, either...
    Ty actually looks pretty good (Gamespot gave it a 7.5, IGN a 7.8). Taz got a 5.0 from GS and a 6.5 from IGN, and Loons got a 4.4 from GS and a 4.6 from IGN.
    Poor Sneakers managed a 3.0 from GS and a 2.0 from IGN. I guess mouse simulators aren't going to be the Next Big Thing. [​IMG]

8. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

These should have him happily playing for hours [​IMG]
    Mad Dash Racing
    Antz extreme racing
    Cel Damage
    Fuzion Frenzy
    Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets
    Loons : the fight for fame
    Nickelodeon Party Blast
    Rayman Arena
    Sneakers
    Taz Wanted
    Ty the Tasmanian Tiger
    Xbox has no games that kids can play...BAH!
    Dean

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

DEATHROW!
    ummm.....no..sorry...didnt mean to....
    [​IMG]

10. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

This reminds me of something I had to get off of my chest...the other day I was in a store where 2 kids not more than 7 or 8 years old...at the very most...convinced their dad to buy Grand Theft Auto 3 for them. I didn't intervene in the situation (the dad obviously had no idea what the game was about) & I feel guilty about it now. [​IMG]
    I will second the recommendation for Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, even though I haven't played it yet...the reviews have stated that it's on the easy side & is skewed toward a younger audience.
    -Dan

11. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Just buy the kid a PS2 or a Gamecube, don't subject the poor little thing to the aforementioned games.

12. Anthony GT

Anthony GT Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Hopefully he'll be up to one or more of them.

Anthony