Kid's game on PS2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon C Jr, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have any good suggestions for a PS2 game for a 3 and 5 year old? Like some cute little game..

Preferably something of interest that Mom & Dad could play too?

2. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

Grand Theft Auto III.

Seriously, what about Parappa the Rapper 2? Not played it, but with cartoon characters, songs, and button pressing Simon says type gameplay, it couldn't hurt.

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Ugh, not sure about Parappa the Rappa. For one thing, the whole series is as trippy as an acid drop, but for more important, the gameplay is infuriatingly complex sometimes.

I'm basing this on the 'other sequel' to Parappa, Um Jammer Lammy, but that game is so complicated and hard to follow at spots that I wanted to rip the controller from the PSOne and launch it into a low defensive orbit.

I really don't see anybody who isn't at least, say, ten or so, being able to play one of those games. Maybe I underestimate the rhythm capabilities of today's youth, but I'm a pretty good finger-flicker and trying to do that whole groove thing was nearly impossible for me.

It's not just Simons Says, it's way more complex than that, frankly, and becomes monstrously difficult very fast. Mind you, they may have added difficulty settings in the new one, so remember my viewpoint is based on a Parappa descendent, not the new thing.

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I have 6 & 8 year olds and I can't think of any game that they can play that well on the PS2. My oldest can play Klonoa 2 (a straight forward platform game) reasonably well. She'll also do the 2 player gun game Vampire Night with me, but my wife is a bit against the violence (cartoonish though) of the game. I also picked up Jak & Daxter and Cookie & Cream which I haven't played yet.

For 3 & 5, I recommend (if you don't own one yet) a N64, and the Pokemon Stadium games & maybe Kirby 64, or Mario Kart. That system is made for the younger players.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

N64 also has a lot of Sesame Street games and some of the more child-friendly stuff (or even games made SPECIFICALLY for kids).

The PS2 isn't really a kids platform, but if I had to recommend something, I would say Klonoa 2.

6. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Rayman Revolution (not to be confused with Rayman M)! I got this game recently in a sale and absolutely LOVE it. The presentation both visualy and sonicaly is incredible, it looks like you're playing a cartoon. I think you'd definately find yourself having the odd go on this too if the kids ever put it down.

Dan (UK)

7. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

My vote's for Klonoa 2 as well.

8. Mike Bart

Mike Bart Auditioning

Hi,

I have a 2 and a 5 year old and our 5 year old loves Jak and Dexter and can play it well although she does need help on a few things but she can play it well enough to play with out help or it is fun with Mom and Dad's help. This would certainly be my first choice. It is a great looking game that has gotten great reviews. We also have Kalona 2 which is a very nice looking game and is easy for her to play but it does not keep her interest very long. Tarzan is also a PS2 game she plays but this one is a little bit harder so she gets frustrated and usually goes to one of the other games she has. The game 102 dalmations for PS1 continues to be her favorite no matter which new games we buy.

9. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies. I tried Klonoa 2, but similar to Mike's little one's, they lost interest.
    I guess I'll try Jak and Dexter next, otherwise Daddy can play his GTA3 [​IMG]

10. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

I'm playing Jak and Daxter now, and it's a LOT of fun. It was the first title that popped into my head, though I dont know how well a 3 and 5 year old could play by themselves. It would be a great title for you to play with them though.
    State of Emergency is coming out soon, that would also be a good title for the young'uns. [​IMG] (kidding!)
    Brian

11. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

Here are some family PS2 games:

Casper

Star Wars:Super Bombad Racing

PacMan

Klonoa

Crash Bandicoot

Jax and Daxter

Donald Duck

Lego Racers

Tetris

Tarzan

Cookie and Cream

Rayman

etc.

Coming soon for PS2 is a Disney RPG from Square titled Kingdom Hearts and a Britney Spears dancing game.

12. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I actually would not recommend Kingdom Hearts. Its a little down the road from a US release, but its starting to look like Disney took a REALLY good Square RPG and threw in Disney stuff, so its not really aimed at kids in the gameplay dept. (though I could be wrong).

The story of KH also revolves around a bunch of evil soul-suckers lead by the evil queen from Sleeping Beauty who are trying to take over the world, or something like that.